Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Xandernfs
Registered Member

Help with QT. What to use?

I've read many thread about how to set up a QT, which I have done. But there really isn't much about what to do once it is up and running. The meds I have on hand are API General Cure & Seachem Cupramine. I currently have a single clown in the QT, but not sure how I should go about treating it. He looks to have a few white spots on his fins, but I'm not 100% sure it is ich. I would like to be on the safe side and treat him. Here is what I was thinking, but wanted your thoughts....

Day 1: Start with Cupramine and getting up to .5mg/ml by Day 3
Day 4: Keep dosage at this for 30 days (Should/could it be 21?)
Day 30: Begin removing copper with water change and carbon
Day 31: Begin General Cure
Day 33: Second dose of General Cure
Day 35: Run carbon and water change
Day 36+: Observe and return into DT if fish appears healthy

*Days 31+ Would be only if needed.

Is this over kill? Should I be taking a different approach? Am I on point?

Thanks!

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 02:15 PM   #2
oldhead
Registered Member

Here is a recent thread with some opinions.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2667583

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 04:56 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

Rather than dosing the fish with a lot of chemicals can you set up a second tank and do the TTM method? This could let you observe the fish while getting rid of the possible ich.
If you think it is some other parasite like flukes you could do a 1 day of prazi pro while doing the TTM, then another 1 day treatment in 7 days. This would solve both issues.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 05:29 PM   #4
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I agree with above with TTM but you need to keep in mind that TTM doesn't treat for velvet which is becoming extremely common just like ich. If you are confident that you are only dealing with ich, thats the best route to go.
If you can get your hands on CP (chloroquine phosphate) that would be great and would treat against ich, velvet, uronema and brook. you treat the qt once and treatment last 30 days. However you will need a vet to give you a prescription for it. (do not use CP on wrasses or hippo tangs).
your other option would be copper. Its basically a poison but will treat for ich and velvet.
Ramp it up slowly like you mentioned and most fish can tolerate it. Just make sure the fish is eating well before you start it because it can be an appetite suppressant. you will need to keep the copper in therapeutic level for 30 days. You can do 14 days if you are able to move the fish to a brand new sterile tank (thats been at least 10' away for the original qt) after the 14 days. Only the fish should be transferred and no equipment and minimal water to eliminate any chances of cross contamination.
to treat for flukes, you can do two rounds of general cure or prazipro 5-7 days apart. sometimes a third round might be necessary.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I think your initial process of using cupramine is fine, the level is fine, keep water fresh with changes each two days of say 10% (remember to keep the cupramine at required levels) watch for the spots to disappear, go 14 days past this time and then your fish should be good to go. Remember to feed him/her, I used a piece of ridged airline tube on a syringe and feed one piece of brine shrimp at at time so I did not polute my water...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote