Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2007, 06:29 PM   #1
3fins
Registered Member

Hatching Live BBS for Dwarfs ( questions)

Im Now in the final stages as to get ready for my moms dwarfs !!!! ok if someone would be as so kind as to show me a real easy methade as to hatching bbs. Ive dont reaserch for about 6 months. and know how to hatch them ....but im not sure witch hatching nursrey to buy. if some one could show me wich one to by between this 3 that would be sweet .

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+112975

ok plz relpy quickly cus im buying them in about an hour

3fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2007, 04:38 PM   #2
3fins
Registered Member

Does anyone now how to hatch bbs?
=)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------
Unread 04/11/2007, 04:50 PM   #3
ReefNutPA
Registered Member

Of the 3.... buy the first one.

Tom

ReefNutPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2007, 07:34 PM   #4
3fins
Registered Member

Thanx so mutch..how many do u think i should get ...and wich eggs should i buy ?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

Unread 04/11/2007, 07:42 PM   #5
ReefNutPA
Registered Member

Well, you really SHOULD use decapped eggs. I purchase mine from seahorsesource.com. I have three hatchers going at one time. The first two to hatch the eggs at different intervals and the third to enrich the bbs after they are a day old.

Just to give you an example, I add eggs to the first hatchery at 8am. I add eggs to the 2nd hatchery at 8pm. That way they are hatching 12 hours apart and I always have newly hatched bbs available. Any leftovers in the hatchers get put in the 3rd hatchery and I add a few drops of algae paste for enrichments.

Tom

ReefNutPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2007, 06:01 AM   #6
seas_inside
Registered Member

I agree with Tom... of the 3 the first one looks best. You don't want a brine shrimp hatchery IN your tank.

However, you can make your own just as well as the first one. There are instructions at the bottom of this page: http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...iaGuide.shtml. Just as affective as the first one, a lot cheaper. Besides, you'll need more than one hatchery anyway. (plus growout containers...)

seas_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2007, 03:22 PM   #7
3fins
Registered Member

Cool thanx for your time to help me. I bought 2 of the first ons and 4 exta batches of brine shrimp....so do i need to decap them first or do i just put them in and in some time they hatch and feed them...i also bought some enriching foods for the bbs to gut load them...thanx for your advice
3fins

Unread 04/12/2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Paul B
Premium Member

I have been hatching BBS every day for many years with no problem. I made the hatchery which is very simple. I use a plastic container that is about 8" long by 4" wide and 4" high. One side is black and the other side is clear. There is a partition seperating the two sides with a 3/8" hole in it. The hole has a door so it can be closed. The shrimp eggs are put in the black side (which has a black cover) The next day when they hatch I open the door between the compartments and cover the black side. I put a light over the clear side and in an hour, all the shrimp swim through the hole to the light side and all the shells stay on the black side. I close the door and siphon out the shrimp.
Simple.
Paul

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2007, 06:07 PM   #9
3fins
Registered Member

Thats a great i idea...ill try that...anyone els?...Well guys and girls thank you for your help it was realy needed and yall helped out a lot. Ill post some pics of my tank. I redid the rock work so there woulnt be an spots with water flow..thanx again
3fins