Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2015, 02:55 PM   #1
zchauvin
Registered Member

Synergy custom sump cost - holy ****!!!

Is there something about these sumps that I'm not understanding? Asked for a quote on a 24x16x14, reply was that custom sumps start at $550 minimum!

zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 04:38 PM   #2
frankabagnale
Registered Member

They look pretty awesome, but dang! That's pricey!

I picked up a Trigger System for my build. Probably not as nice, but does the job.

frankabagnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 05:03 PM   #3
cakemanPA
Premium Member

You asked for a custom build. Nothing custom is cheap.

cakemanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 06:03 PM   #4
zchauvin
Registered Member

Yeah I got a regular ole reef octopus with one baffle for $200.

Cakeman, i know custom isn't cheap but I didn't expect that price for a 24" box with one filter sock and one baffle. I believe they sell a 30 or 36" model for only like $375 if I remember correctly.

Unread 03/31/2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Fig
Registered Member

Building an Obsession, i like mine.
http://************.com/2014/03/18/b...on-sumps-live/

Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 06:16 PM   #6
cakemanPA
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
Yeah I got a regular ole reef octopus with one baffle for $200.

Cakeman, i know custom isn't cheap but I didn't expect that price for a 24" box with one filter sock and one baffle. I believe they sell a 30 or 36" model for only like $375 if I remember correctly.
But that is their stock configuration that they have the cad/configuration set up for. Once custom come in to play, the actual cost goes up. I agree it is a lot. I know what went into my custom 34" cube sump. Pimped Out Aquariums was not cheap but it was worth it for something that I designed.

cakemanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 06:19 PM   #7
zchauvin
Registered Member

Synergy custom sump cost - holy ****!!!

Yeah they look sweet and what not but when I got the "custom starts at $550" I was in shock lol

Unread 03/31/2015, 06:43 PM   #8
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

First they have to go back and forth with the customer finalizing the design. Then it is going to take them an hour or two to do the cad work. Then they have to transfer it over to the CAM. All the back and forth is worth a half day's labor. I do CAD stuff for a living, and have built a few acrylic projects for myself. Honestly, I wouldn't build a custom sump for $550.

thejuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 07:18 PM   #9
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

I've built two sumps for about $100 each out of a 40B, glass from a local window place, and silicone from McMaster-Carr. For a container to house a skimmer, heaters, return pump, and maybe a few other odds and ends, there is no reason to be fancy. The only people to really look at it are fellow aquarists who won't care how ugly it is as long as it does the job.

"Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions, experience is what you get when you don't." - Unknown

Current Tank Info: None Currently
RocketEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 07:42 PM   #10
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuggernaut View Post
First they have to go back and forth with the customer finalizing the design. Then it is going to take them an hour or two to do the cad work. Then they have to transfer it over to the CAM. All the back and forth is worth a half day's labor. I do CAD stuff for a living, and have built a few acrylic projects for myself. Honestly, I wouldn't build a custom sump for $550.
Exactly. People don't understand that time is money, especially for those trying to make a living.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 04:31 AM   #11
laredo300c
Registered Member

i have two friends that have steel stands (powdercoated) with no wood skins. One has a synergy sump, the other an advanced acrylics sump. Both custom, both look awesome. both probably expensive. This Hobby as a whole (which we all love dearly) is endulgance. custom sump, the same as a custom tank , equals mucha mula! (expensive) there are options for everybody. Commenting on someones thread your opinion on how expensive one thing is , is completely different then starting a whole thread on how expensive one thing is to you.

laredo300c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 06:22 AM   #12
chris82079
Registered Member

i got a quote for an ato container...one compartment and they said $350!!!!! $550 for a sump would be a deal considering the quote they gave me and what needed to go into the ato container

chris82079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Caravanshaka
Registered Member

I got my custom glass sump and ATO Containers from concept aquarium in Canada. I paid $250 CAD for my custom 48x22x16 sump with 4 chambers, and $50 for my 12 gallon ATO. I paid $400 for shipping to Texas, but that was also including my custom starfire 60x30x24 tank with external overflow. All-in after shipping and everything was significantly less than $2k USD shipped to my door for a full custom starfire tank, sump, and ATO.

I have also had a custom 36" sump made for me locally by Melev that was $350, but that was also back a few years.

Caravanshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 10:55 AM   #14
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

A while back I inquired about a semi-custom sump from Trigger Systems (( didn't end up getting it, because of the time frame, not the cost or any other issue )), that was actually fairly reasonable.
IMO, what helped keep the cost reasonable was that I only wanted it longer. The width and depth would have been the same (( each compartment would have been proportionally bigger )). That way most of the pieces would still have been "off the shelf".

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 02:43 PM   #15
vitodog
Registered Member

I recommend giving Elite Aquatics a call. I'm sure you can get a custom build for less than you were quoted by Snyergy.

Unread 04/08/2015, 02:47 PM   #16
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodog View Post
I recommend giving Elite Aquatics a call. I'm sure you can get a custom build for less than you were quoted by Snyergy.
I ended up getting one of theirs (( off the shelf, no waiting )), and have been very pleased with it.

Leak testing it in the garage (( along with the ATO reservoir ))

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 03:43 PM   #17
david_lee
Registered Member

Elite Aquatics is another good option...Ive seen some of their sumps in person before and their work looks top notch...No complaints from what ive seen and heard.

david_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 04:19 PM   #18
WilliamChrist
Registered Member

I looked at buying one of them custom sumps, but damn that is pricey. I went with the Aqueon Proflex and I do like it a lot. It is very quiet, it's not perfect, the skimmer location being in the 3rd section for instance, but it is a pretty nice sump and the dimensions fit my stand perfect so it's good for me. I would also strongly recommend to anyone who buys it to scrap the felt filter socks that come with it and change to either mesh or none whatsoever, the damn things clog in about a day and were a complete pain to clean. I don't even have fish in the tank yet was the annoying part.

WilliamChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2015, 09:06 AM   #19
swk
Registered Member

Homemade all the way. It's just so much cheaper and you can make it exactly how you want. I don't know that id ever be able to swallow paying half a grand for a custom sump that's only gonna be filled with gear and have cords all over the place, etc. Just me tho....

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2015, 06:14 AM   #20
mordibv
Registered Member

Call Zero Edge . Do not email them . U can get the 7 series in that dim size for around 75.00 cheaper and usually no extra charges for a few mod requests . Bud just bought one and the turn around was 2 weeks max . He also got that same quote price above + some for a few mods from the Tenn sump builder . He showed me 10 quick courteous responses that unfortunately had him running in circles and threw in the towel. Sometimes it's better to just use good ole ma bell other than a bunch of emails .He is a happy with the sump .

Current Tank Info: No tank ATM
mordibv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2015, 09:01 AM   #21
EvenFurther
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Exactly. People don't understand that time is money, especially for those trying to make a living.
Sounds completely reasonably for what is being requested. Professional custom design is money.

Unread 04/10/2015, 10:43 AM   #22
hobbzz
How do I change this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketEngineer View Post
I've built two sumps for about $100 each out of a 40B, glass from a local window place, and silicone from McMaster-Carr. For a container to house a skimmer, heaters, return pump, and maybe a few other odds and ends, there is no reason to be fancy. The only people to really look at it are fellow aquarists who won't care how ugly it is as long as it does the job.
Ding ding ding we have a winner! I do the same thing. PETCO $47 40 breeder sump.

Unread 04/10/2015, 01:45 PM   #23
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordibv View Post
Call Zero Edge . Do not email them . U can get the 7 series in that dim size for around 75.00 cheaper and usually no extra charges for a few mod requests . Bud just bought one and the turn around was 2 weeks max . He also got that same quote price above + some for a few mods from the Tenn sump builder . He showed me 10 quick courteous responses that unfortunately had him running in circles and threw in the towel. Sometimes it's better to just use good ole ma bell other than a bunch of emails .He is a happy with the sump .

I have seen one of their sumps recently and wow very nice for the price.

I have a BAO sump custom and it was reasonable..
http://buildinganobsession.com/sumps/