Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2016, 10:38 PM   #251
DamonG
Registered Member

Dude, don't be so defensive.. I said what I said, because I do see people who have micro bubble problems all the time, and I, myself had them long ago also.. I meant no insult at all.. And no one(I don't) likes putting people down, it's just weird to hear brs, as their distributor saying something like that(and honestly, I'm even more suprised after watching the video, that they didn't immediately pick up on some of the things to eliminate the problem other than the skimmer, because the skimmer isn't really the issue, as that is what it is designed to do, and it's doing it's job).. But whatever on that, on to your issues.. And I can see exactly why your having the problems with them(micro bubbles).. And don't take it as bashing, just experiences I learned on my own.. And that is what I meant by something is wrong with the setup..

From your video though(a picture or video is worth a thousand words), I see why your collecting bubbles honestly.. It's just a simple thing(well, two things.. Maybe 3..) to be honest.. And I think you will solve your bubble issues.. Once and for all.. Move your Aux pumps out of the area of the skimmer.. Honestly, that is always going to be an area(the skimmer area )that has the "potential" for micro bubbles the most in the sump(outside of the filter sock down tubes). With the pumps being there, they are always going to collect bubbles and "burp" larger bubbles, which in turn cause more micro bubbles.. So move the Aux pump out or at least down stream of the skimmer and live rock area. If you can, put it in your return pump chamber. Even if you have to do some form of siphon, if you want to have stationary pumps(and not a wet dry vacation like a lot of us) to pump water out of each chamber of your sump..

Next, slow your return pump down even more of possible.. I have a 75 gallon sump, upgraded from a 30 long, upgraded from a standard 20.. I am saying that to say, that I have dealt with small tanks and sumps.. I'm also not the biggest fan of skimmers in the middle section type of sumps for that very reason(you don't get as much of a distance for potential bubbles to dissipate). But I understand the design and desire.. But for purpose of your sump, I would slow it down massively.. And you have to also take into account that those skimz and most modern skimmers pump a lot of water, and intake a lot of air(much more than older skimmers used to). Even I was suprised at both when I got my first skimz..

You don't need a ton of flow through your sump anyhow to be honest. Give the skimmer and your filter socks a chance to get more of a bite of the water going through it, and allow the bubbles to rise up and pop.. And with that style of sump and the skimmer placement, your going to have to be even more careful with flowing water too fast through the sump..

For example, I run DC pumps also. I have a DC 12000 on mine, but, I only have it on speed 2 of 8 on my 180 display tank.. I have massive flow and circulation through the display(over 8400gph)by the power heads(4 of them), but for the filtration, I run it pretty slow.. Slower now, than I ever have..

And third, if all else fails, put a sponge in your trap before the return pump section.. Yes, you will need to take it out and swish it in say change water(the water used to do your water change), but that will eliminate or at least massively help to eliminate bubbles going into the display..

I think that you will find if you try some of those things you will lose your micro bubble problem substantially, to completely.. But the thing you have to keep in mind about the auxiliary pumps, is that where you have them sitting, your never going to eliminate the bubbles going into them.. That is, unless you install another weir around them. And even then, your still going to get some bubbles, just because it's directly next to the skimmer..

Last edited by DamonG; 03/13/2016 at 10:49 PM.
DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2016, 06:00 AM   #252
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
Dude, don't be so defensive.. I said what I said, because I do see people who have micro bubble problems all the time, and I, myself had them long ago also.. I meant no insult at all.. And no one(I don't) likes putting people down, it's just weird to hear brs, as their distributor saying something like that(and honestly, I'm even more suprised after watching the video, that they didn't immediately pick up on some of the things to eliminate the problem other than the skimmer, because the skimmer isn't really the issue, as that is what it is designed to do, and it's doing it's job).. But whatever on that, on to your issues.. And I can see exactly why your having the problems with them(micro bubbles).. And don't take it as bashing, just experiences I learned on my own.. And that is what I meant by something is wrong with the setup..

From your video though(a picture or video is worth a thousand words), I see why your collecting bubbles honestly.. It's just a simple thing(well, two things.. Maybe 3..) to be honest.. And I think you will solve your bubble issues.. Once and for all.. Move your Aux pumps out of the area of the skimmer.. Honestly, that is always going to be an area(the skimmer area )that has the "potential" for micro bubbles the most in the sump(outside of the filter sock down tubes). With the pumps being there, they are always going to collect bubbles and "burp" larger bubbles, which in turn cause more micro bubbles.. So move the Aux pump out or at least down stream of the skimmer and live rock area. If you can, put it in your return pump chamber. Even if you have to do some form of siphon, if you want to have stationary pumps(and not a wet dry vacation like a lot of us) to pump water out of each chamber of your sump..

Next, slow your return pump down even more of possible.. I have a 75 gallon sump, upgraded from a 30 long, upgraded from a standard 20.. I am saying that to say, that I have dealt with small tanks and sumps.. I'm also not the biggest fan of skimmers in the middle section type of sumps for that very reason(you don't get as much of a distance for potential bubbles to dissipate). But I understand the design and desire.. But for purpose of your sump, I would slow it down massively.. And you have to also take into account that those skimz and most modern skimmers pump a lot of water, and intake a lot of air(much more than older skimmers used to). Even I was suprised at both when I got my first skimz..

You don't need a ton of flow through your sump anyhow to be honest. Give the skimmer and your filter socks a chance to get more of a bite of the water going through it, and allow the bubbles to rise up and pop.. And with that style of sump and the skimmer placement, your going to have to be even more careful with flowing water too fast through the sump..

For example, I run DC pumps also. I have a DC 12000 on mine, but, I only have it on speed 2 of 8 on my 180 display tank.. I have massive flow and circulation through the display(over 8400gph)by the power heads(4 of them), but for the filtration, I run it pretty slow.. Slower now, than I ever have..

And third, if all else fails, put a sponge in your trap before the return pump section.. Yes, you will need to take it out and swish it in say change water(the water used to do your water change), but that will eliminate or at least massively help to eliminate bubbles going into the display..

I think that you will find if you try some of those things you will lose your micro bubble problem substantially, to completely.. But the thing you have to keep in mind about the auxiliary pumps, is that where you have them sitting, your never going to eliminate the bubbles going into them.. That is, unless you install another weir around them. And even then, your still going to get some bubbles, just because it's directly next to the skimmer..
I don't think the Aux pump location would matter, if anything it sucks up some of the micros and after they go through my reactors and ATS the outlets are ran back through the filter socks.

I've calculated my sump turnover around 9.5-10x. In tank flow is 2-mp40's.

With all the pods running around I'd rather stay away from sponges around that area.

It just sucks that my old skimmer didn't do this with the same sump setup/turnover/layout. It did release some but not to this extent.

But I will try to slow the sump even more.

Unread 03/16/2016, 07:51 PM   #253
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

I have a SN143 and it has been blowing micro bubbles for 6 months. It is very annoying, so your situation isn't isolated. I also have a lid that is VERY hard to remove. Maybe I should call BRS tomorrow. I actually found this thread just now looking for anyone with that issue. The design looks like there isn't anything keeping the bubbles from exiting the skimmer like normally. I to have tried many different configs. Raising the water level in the skimmer section, lowering it, slowing the pump down, reducing the air, even with the water level at 6", and the gate valve almost completely closed off, they still fly out. They are so small, that even with minimal flow, they would still make it down and under my bubble baffle.

thejuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 08:01 PM   #254
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

You are correct though. I have never had a problem with bubbles exiting my skimmers after the initial break in. You shouldn't have to build a sump to have to capture a billion little bubbles because of a poorly designed skimmer body. It does capture allot of gunk though. One last negative is that it is the loudest part of my system.

Unread 03/17/2016, 03:08 PM   #255
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

I talked to BRS today, and they are sending me an entire new skimmer. He said it should fix the lid and hopefully the bubble issue. They even told me to keep the old one for spare parts! Not too shabby for customer service!

Unread 03/19/2016, 05:53 PM   #256
dieselfish89
Registered Member

Sm203 dc skimmer

I bought this skimmer about three weeks ago. Is has been a huge battle keeping a good foam head on this skimmer. I don't have a lot in my tank and it's only been up and running about a month and a half. It's a 180 main and a 75 sump.

dieselfish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2016, 06:10 PM   #257
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuggernaut View Post
I talked to BRS today, and they are sending me an entire new skimmer. He said it should fix the lid and hopefully the bubble issue. They even told me to keep the old one for spare parts! Not too shabby for customer service!
Keep us posted. I'll be calling them back as mine hasn't changed any.

Unread 03/30/2016, 07:35 AM   #258
drkcurrent
Registered Member

I need some assistance in tuning my new skimmer. I have never used a skimmer before so I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for. Rocking the SN143 in a new 60gal tank. Tank has been running for about 7 weeks with just a CUC right now.

Here is what my skimmer is currently producing. Is this good? How can i tweak it so more nastiness gets into the collection cup instead of the neck?

Last edited by drkcurrent; 03/30/2016 at 07:42 AM.
drkcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2016, 01:32 PM   #259
dendrite
Registered Member

turn up the airflow for starters. It looks like you have hardly any airflow. This will have the effect of dropping the water level. You want uniform small bubbles in the neck with the top of the water column around the mid neck. The larger breaking bubbles rise in the neck and cup from there. You can further control the water level using the valve control and the d/c pump controller. On my own I have the air valve about 60 % closed and the pump on 5/6 and use the water valve to control the water column height. It seems to work well, until of course I find or hear of a better combination.

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 06:50 AM   #260
drkcurrent
Registered Member

very helpful! Thank You. I think I under stand how it works now.

Still need to tweak but this is what I got going on now

drkcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 07:31 AM   #261
Captain smoke
Registered Member

I would open the air valve and adjust the level to the bottom of the cup

Captain smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 07:40 AM   #262
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
I don't think the Aux pump location would matter, if anything it sucks up some of the micros and after they go through my reactors and ATS the outlets are ran back through the filter socks.

I've calculated my sump turnover around 9.5-10x. In tank flow is 2-mp40's.

With all the pods running around I'd rather stay away from sponges around that area.

It just sucks that my old skimmer didn't do this with the same sump setup/turnover/layout. It did release some but not to this extent.

But I will try to slow the sump even more.
I used Red Slime remover to treat some cyano and it caused my Vertex Skimmer to go nuts. I had to do a 30% water change to calm it down. My skimmer also goes nuts when I used putty to attach frags or rocks.

My point is there could be a number of things in the water causing a skimmer to go nuts. And sometimes the only thing that fixes it is a water change.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 07:43 AM   #263
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

I just joined the Vertex Skimmer club today with a SM162 that I will be using on a heavily stocked 75 gallon with 18 gallon sump. I'm also carbon dosing. It's replacing a Vertex Omega 150 skimmer.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 08:03 AM   #264
Captain smoke
Registered Member

After 4days of skimming my 150g/40sump med/heavy bio skimz sm201

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.6 KB, 77 views)
Captain smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 08:25 AM   #265
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseymour View Post
I used Red Slime remover to treat some cyano and it caused my Vertex Skimmer to go nuts. I had to do a 30% water change to calm it down. My skimmer also goes nuts when I used putty to attach frags or rocks.

My point is there could be a number of things in the water causing a skimmer to go nuts. And sometimes the only thing that fixes it is a water change.
It's not going nuts and it pulls crap no problem, it just won't contain the bubbles...at all.

Unread 05/31/2016, 07:28 AM   #266
reelfreak
Registered Member

New Skimz owner here. SM 161, here's the skimmate from 3days. I didn't feel the need for DC Pump with my system and AC version is only 13 w Italian made pump.

I had trouble finding any info on these skimmers but bought one anyway. VERY pleased thus far. [IMG][/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 125g / 6x80 T5s 90w LED Hybrid DIY, Apex, WAVs,Skimz SM161,Tunze Osmolator
reelfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 03:43 PM   #267
SirReefer
Registered Member

Just installed my skimz 143 to break it in before I put it on a smaller cube tank. Still trying to dial it in, I think I'm just impatient. It's been about 3 days and this is what it looks like

image.jpg

So far I feel like it's running good, like most of you guys I am hoping to get a lot more gunk. I will say this about the skimmer.. It is dead silent compared to my ro nwb150.

Last edited by SirReefer; 06/23/2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: .
SirReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 03:47 PM   #268
SirReefer
Registered Member

image.jpg

SirReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 08:44 PM   #269
Jon532
Registered Member

I have the 161 and really having trouble getting it adjusted.... Can anyone give any pointers for a dry skim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2016, 07:53 AM   #270
reelfreak
Registered Member

My sump depth is about 7.5", that my 161 sits in. I had to close the drain gate valve most of the way to get level decent height.

I then started with the airflow valve around the half way mark. I placed marks on the valve and skimmer with a label maker to help track amount of turns while adjusting. I'm keeping the majority of skim water right around the cups disconnect, the head rises about 1/2 way into the cup though. It takes a very small adjustment to move the level IME.

I'm making about 64oz of skim in 5-6 days, and it's really dark. It could be dryer but would need to keep that level even lower. that picture above shows the container that fills in less than a week. System is 160g total water.

Current Tank Info: 125g / 6x80 T5s 90w LED Hybrid DIY, Apex, WAVs,Skimz SM161,Tunze Osmolator
Unread 06/24/2016, 07:48 PM   #271
Jon532
Registered Member

Skimz skimmer club

Thanks... I'll try that.. I had mine going good for a couple days and then for some reason it just went to doing nothing and I've not been able to get it right again .... Just curious does water ever come up out of the slots at the cup connection?

Unread 06/24/2016, 09:44 PM   #272
reelfreak
Registered Member

No problem with water coming out at all, oring seals it up nicely

Unread 06/28/2016, 07:55 PM   #273
Jon532
Registered Member

Talked to BRS today and it shouldn't be leaking like it is they are sending me a replacement cup! Great customer service from BRS!

Unread 06/28/2016, 08:44 PM   #274
reelfreak
Registered Member

Agreed,BRS is awesome and part of my decision to buy the skimz was the support if you need it.

Good luck hope you get it skimming like a champ. Mine continues to make a 64oz jug of scum every 5-6 days

Unread 07/11/2016, 07:59 AM   #275
DarthReefer27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfreak View Post
New Skimz owner here. SM 161, here's the skimmate from 3days. I didn't feel the need for DC Pump with my system and AC version is only 13 w Italian made pump.

I had trouble finding any info on these skimmers but bought one anyway. VERY pleased thus far. [IMG][/IMG]
I was looking to set up a separate skimmate filling container coming from my Skimz 160 and I see you set this up. what size tubing was used? thanks!