Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2017, 11:33 AM   #226
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
No. Not Apex ready. Initial setup can be done via a computer or laptop running windows or a Mac with boothcamp or some other Windows emulator. They are set it and forget though. I never mess with my lights once they are setup and setup on these is really pretty easy. There are project files you can upload tp the lights from other users which you can download via the GHL website. I honestly don't miss the Apex control on my Mitras. I'd never use it the Kelvin adjust and other features in GCC would be missed even if it was Apex controllable. GCC not only allows you to adjust the lights intensity and spectrum easily but it also gives you the cloud, thunderstorm, acclimation features as well as the power settings (High Efficiency vs High Output) fan speed, temp options, power balancing, network setup etc. It's a pretty slick interface and integrating all that into an Apex interface would be impossible. As such, you will want access to GHL Control Center (GCC) to take full advantage of the lights.
Thanks Scott, Do you know if Matthias will reconsider this programming aspect as to make his product more mainstream? The world is moving away from standard computers and moving to platforms such as ios and android. Why anyone would design a new product in this day and age only controllable via windows is beyond me.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 11:34 AM   #227
gcarroll
Registered Member

Maybe even a web interface?

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
Unread 08/08/2017, 11:51 AM   #228
rishma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Thanks Scott, Do you know if Matthias will reconsider this programming aspect as to make his product more mainstream? The world is moving away from standard computers and moving to platforms such as ios and android. Why anyone would design a new product in this day and age only controllable via windows is beyond me.
I think I would pull the trigger if not for this issue.

rishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 03:29 PM   #229
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe even a web interface?
There is a web interface/cloud interface (MyGHL) which you can use for basic light programming (time and intensity of the different channels at different times of the day) but you will need the GCC program for the initial setup to get them connected to the network and for firmware updates. It's also doesn't have all the features of GCC. As for what is the pipeline, that I am not sure.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 03:34 PM   #230
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
There is a web interface/cloud interface (MyGHL) which you can use for basic light programming (time and intensity of the different channels at different times of the day) but you will need the GCC program for the initial setup to get them connected to the network and for firmware updates. It's also doesn't have all the features of GCC. As for what is the pipeline, that I am not sure.
Well, I hope someone influential with GHL sees this and maybe it sparks a flame. (hint, hint) I would really love to see more people using this light.

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:59 AM   #231
rishma
Registered Member

I just read about difficulty hanging mitras sideways due to 2 point hanging kit and orientation of the cord. How are people handling this?

Unread 08/09/2017, 10:14 AM   #232
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishma View Post
I just read about difficulty hanging mitras sideways due to 2 point hanging kit and orientation of the cord. How are people handling this?

Aquariumledmounts.com has articulating mounts for the Mitras that work very well and allow you to pivot them however you want. (I actually got the link to order them from Scott as they're the same one's he uses.)

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 10:18 AM   #233
rishma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
Aquariumledmounts.com has articulating mounts for the Mitras that work very well and allow you to pivot them however you want. (I actually got the link to order them from Scott as they're the same one's he uses.)
seems like they are intended for canopy

Unread 08/09/2017, 10:19 AM   #234
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I hope someone influential with GHL sees this and maybe it sparks a flame. (hint, hint) I would really love to see more people using this light.
Having to use only a PC to program these was a big negative for me also. I used my sons laptop to program them. I am guessing this hurts sales, it almost stopped mine. Thats said - the app is not bad to use.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 06:19 PM   #235
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by marginals. If you were comparing to the Radions, the Mitras LX7's have more diodes in the 420-460nm range than the Radions and more power capability. I have a Seneye monitor and while I don't trust the accuracy of it's PUR graphs, I was seeing nearly 90% at 16,400k on the Mitras. One of the keys to the Mitras LX7's is using power balancing and high output mode if you feel 70% isn't enough power. These Mitras as in HO mode coupled with power balancing are VERY powerful. Much more so than most people would ever need unless the lights are really high off the water and you can use 100% of the fixtures power even with channels like the whites, reds, green and UV dialed way back. That means that the key channels that relate to PUR (blue, RB, Hyper Violet, etc) can get virtually all of the fixtures 195w of power and given there are more diodes in those ranges then the Radions, these fixtures hold their own to them. In short, if you are really not finding enough power from the Mitras which I tend to question, you can increase all your blue channels to 130% in the power balancing interface. Drop the whites to a max of 70% or whatever you peak them at now. Drop the red, green and UV down to 30%.. You likely will never exceeed 30% on those channels anyway. Then you will get more power to the channels that count for PUR. Again, most would never need to do this. I see upwards of an inch a month in growth on some of my SPS. I don't run the fixtures anywhere near 100% in HO mode and if one did, you could easily cook corals.

One thing to keep in mind is that you have 2 larger clusters on the Radions where as you have 6 on the Mitras. With the Radions, you tend to have more of a hot spot around the center of the fixture closer to the light where as the Mitras are a bit more evenly spread. As you get further from the light, the hot spot decreases as one would expect.
I made switched today from high efficiency to high output and changed on the power balancing window a few channels to 130% and few down to 70% or less. Now my question is how do I tap the increased power on the channels that are now 130%? Where can I edit these increases since the LightComposer range is 0% to 100% only? Thank.s

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 09:23 PM   #236
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman View Post
I made switched today from high efficiency to high output and changed on the power balancing window a few channels to 130% and few down to 70% or less. Now my question is how do I tap the increased power on the channels that are now 130%? Where can I edit these increases since the LightComposer range is 0% to 100% only? Thank.s
It's automatic. If your max intensity is 100% for that point in time, the channels that you have set to 130% will run at 130%, The channels that you have set to peak at 70% will max at 70%. As you reduce the max intensity for that point in time, the intensities will drop accordingly. Essentially, in composer, if you set a channel at 100% and the power balance for that channel is 130%, that channel will now run at 130%. If you set a channel to 100% in composer that is set to 70% in power balancing, that 100% would equal 70% in composer.

Since you switched to HO mode, make sure you set the fan speed to max out at 100% in the power management tab.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:29 PM   #237
nycman
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
It's automatic. If your max intensity is 100% for that point in time, the channels that you have set to 130% will run at 130%, The channels that you have set to peak at 70% will max at 70%. As you reduce the max intensity for that point in time, the intensities will drop accordingly. Essentially, in composer, if you set a channel at 100% and the power balance for that channel is 130%, that channel will now run at 130%. If you set a channel to 100% in composer that is set to 70% in power balancing, that 100% would equal 70% in composer.

Since you switched to HO mode, make sure you set the fan speed to max out at 100% in the power management tab.
Thanks for the informative response.

Aqua UV 28W
Unread 08/15/2017, 09:24 AM   #238
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishma View Post
I got 7 of them to be perfectly level using the standard issue Mitras hanging kits. I mounted the ballast up high above the lights, as close to parallel to each unit as possible (to avoid the power cord pulling the units to the side) and then ensure that each power cord has no tension in it whatsoever. See photo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5436.jpg (40.7 KB, 57 views)
Aqua UV 28W
Unread 08/15/2017, 09:28 AM   #239
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
Having to use only a PC to program these was a big negative for me also. I used my sons laptop to program them. I am guessing this hurts sales, it almost stopped mine. Thats said - the app is not bad to use.
True. Until I had to start programming these lights a few months ago, I had not used a Windows based machine in over four years. I use my wife's PC laptop to program them, physically hooking the master to the PC using a USB cable. The WIFI is unpredictable - once in a while it connects, but too often not, so I just decided to always use the USB connection instead. Also, have not been able to connect to the Cloud version of GCC, which of course would be accessible via a Mac.

It is not as if I am constantly tweaking the Lightcomposer program. At this point, I am completely ok with the way it is.

Aqua UV 28W
Unread 09/19/2017, 04:42 PM   #240
reefinder
Registered Member

Just got my Mitra, was wondering if I could hang the light 18" off the water in a 12" deep tank. I want to grow sps. do you think I will still have enough par at that distance. The tank measures 24" length/width and height 12"? I have one light, also does anyone have a good light schedule I could mimic for this tank, I need help haha?

reefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 05:14 PM   #241
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefinder View Post
Just got my Mitra, was wondering if I could hang the light 18" off the water in a 12" deep tank. I want to grow sps. do you think I will still have enough par at that distance. The tank measures 24" length/width and height 12"? I have one light, also does anyone have a good light schedule I could mimic for this tank, I need help haha?
You can probably get away with running the lights 18" off the water though you will likely need to run the intensity around 85% in high output mode.

You can find several LX7206 light composer projects to download here:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/sup...ts/#LCProjects

Unread 09/19/2017, 05:28 PM   #242
reefinder
Registered Member

Thank you for the speedy response slief

Unread 09/19/2017, 05:31 PM   #243
reefinder
Registered Member

I am anxious and worried that I won't be able to figure out the software

Unread 09/19/2017, 05:59 PM   #244
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I am anxious and worried that I won't be able to figure out the software
This should help.

Unread 09/20/2017, 06:11 AM   #245
reefinder
Registered Member

great video that helped a lot. When I went on the website and viewed the light schedule from other reefers they recommended. I went to view the files and it is all scrambled with a bunch of @.How do I download those files properly to my light or software?

Unread 09/20/2017, 09:01 AM   #246
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
great video that helped a lot. When I went on the website and viewed the light schedule from other reefers they recommended. I went to view the files and it is all scrambled with a bunch of @.How do I download those files properly to my light or software?
You won't be able to view the file. You download it. It's a .lpc file which only composer will recognize. Download it and save it to a location you will remember. Open up GCC. Then connect to your light. Then open up composer which will prompt you to either use the default project or open a saved project. Select saved project and use the interface to navigate to the project you downloaded and select it. Once you select it, it will populate the tables and time info for ramping. From there you can modify the project to suit you needs. Then be sure to save any changes to the file you made. Once you have it the way you like it, scroll down on the composer tab and send the configuration to the fixture.

Unread 09/20/2017, 08:55 PM   #247
reefinder
Registered Member

Got it figured out for the most part, thank you so much for all the help

Unread 09/22/2017, 08:08 AM   #248
reefinder
Registered Member

Man had these lights running for two days and wow the color spectrum, power and controllability of these lights is amazing. I am so glad I made the purchase, My SPS look great and even my wife loves the versatility of these lights and she does not like much about this hobby lol.

Unread 09/22/2017, 09:22 AM   #249
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Man had these lights running for two days and wow the color spectrum, power and controllability of these lights is amazing. I am so glad I made the purchase, My SPS look great and even my wife loves the versatility of these lights and she does not like much about this hobby lol.

I'm with ya. I love the control you get with these lights. Some people grumble because the control center is a Windows app and not browser based, but it is extremely powerful and flexible, IMO.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 09:41 AM   #250
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
I'm with ya. I love the control you get with these lights. Some people grumble because the control center is a Windows app and not browser based, but it is extremely powerful and flexible, IMO.
From what I heard at MACNA.. They won't need to grumble much longer.. A web based interface outside of MyGHL is in the works. I didn't get an ETA but I know they are working on it. Personally, I find the Windows based GCC very easy and efficient to use. It's not like you need to use it often anyway. Once you have it figured out, it's quick and easy to setup the lights and it certainly makes fine tuning easy to get the best colors out of the corals.