Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Stevenlatham01
Registered Member

Can you treat Chaeto with copper?

Im thinking of getting some chaeto and putting it into my sump towards the end of the cycle on my new DT. As I'm going to be doing TTM / QT for all fish and QT everything else before it goes into my DT (mainly to stop ich) I was thinking of treating the chaeto in the QT with copper to speed up the time it's in there. Don't really want it in there for 76 days as it will hold up everything else from being QT.

Can you treat chaeto with copper without killing it? Has anyone done this? If it doesn't kill it, can you do a higher dose to shorten the time of treatment? Perhaps then I can do it in one of my TTM tanks with just an air pump and heater. I can get the fuge light setup over the tank for lighting.

Stevenlatham01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 07:22 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Freshwater dip it if you are concerned..

I believe it would likely not do well with copper treatments..

Unread 10/06/2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Stevenlatham01
Registered Member

How long for? Would that definitely get rid of ich?

Unread 10/06/2017, 08:51 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

Not sure on chaeto specifically, but copper is used as an algaecide in fountains, etc.

Technically, anything wet can carry in disease, so it's good that you are considering that. Some folks qt everything, including corals, snails, algae. Most reefers don't, and it's just a risk that some of us are willing to take.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 09:38 AM   #5
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

i'm puzzled what the 76 days (fallow period) is about if you're already doing TTM (which should only take 2 weeks) and normal QT which is 3-4 weeks? maybe i'm not reading it right??
aside from that, chaeto is good for nutrient reduction but in all honesty not having it right immediately as soon as you start your new display isn't going to break it. one thing that WILL break it is trying to expedite the process just because you want things to move along faster so why take chances?

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 10:36 AM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo View Post
i'm puzzled what the 76 days (fallow period) is about if you're already doing TTM (which should only take 2 weeks) and normal QT which is 3-4 weeks? maybe i'm not reading it right??
aside from that, chaeto is good for nutrient reduction but in all honesty not having it right immediately as soon as you start your new display isn't going to break it. one thing that WILL break it is trying to expedite the process just because you want things to move along faster so why take chances?
The OP is saying he doesn't want to do the 76 day quarantine for the Chaeto. We all know the TTM only works on fish.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Stevenlatham01
Registered Member

Yup what scooter said is what I meant.

So how long do you need to dip them in freshwater for? Can you use any coral dips to remove and pests?

Unread 10/06/2017, 12:12 PM   #8
Hexacorallia
Registered Member

You could FW dip the algae and a vigorus rinse for maybe 2 min? It may dislodge everything. Multiple rinses though. Personally, i would focus more on full QT of fish (internal, external pathogens) . Aswell as a high quality trusted source for your fish. Keeping a high quality diet fed regulary, with tonns of water flow, correct fish for your enviorment, enough filtration to support a high quality diet. This will yield the most realistic results. For a hobbyist to do an actual full QT of all their livestock is insane and very costly. But im thrilled your taking the plunge! Good luck, and may the pathogens be erradicated! (I used to be a importer of marine ornamentals)

Unread 10/06/2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Tcox
Registered Member

Other may have a different experience, but for me chaeto doesn’t do well in a new tank. I needed to get food and living critters in my tank to start generating nutrients. Your mileage may vary

Tcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 05:24 AM   #10
Stevenlatham01
Registered Member

The main reason I want it in first is so it doesn't hold up my QT on fish but if you can just freshwater dip it then that will solve that problem.

Anyone know how long to dip for? Any coral dips you can use? I thought loads of you had chaeto in your sumps? Surely not all of you just risk putting in ich after all the hard work of QT fish?