Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2006, 01:32 AM   #1
TGamel
Registered Member

Saltwater Test Kits

I have recently setup a 20 gallon nano for my wife. That is about 3 weeks old. Because all that was available to be was a 20 gallon tall, I went with a 6" deep sand bed over an underground filter that I will eventully use as a plenum after a couple of months. There is 10lbs of base rock in the tank that I am seeding with 4lbs of live rock and 12lbs of live sand.

This is my first SW tank, and I currently have a 75 gallon chiclid tank in the living room as well. The question I have is that the test strips I use for my FW tank say that they can be used for SW as well. I have been using these to test for nitrates, nitrates, pH and Alkalinity. I as using a seperate strip to test for ammonia. Are these strips sufficent or do I need a better kit to test my SW tank with?

Any input or adivce would be appreciated.

Thanks....

TGamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Dan Thrash
Registered Member

i would get better test kits....mainly Salifert! they are expensive but worth it. i didnt want to spend the money at first. i had the test strips from my freshwater tank...they get you in the ballpark...but you'll probably want more accurate readings. i also bought the red sea kits....same thing...ballpark, but they always read that i had ammonia and nitrites, and Salifert read both were 0.

Dan Thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 10:04 AM   #3
flameangel88
Registered Member

Which etailers have good prices on the Salifert test kits? TIA.

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 10:26 AM   #4
phenom5
Unregistered Member

i would definately go for something better then the test strips. without a doubt Salifert is the best out there, but you can get away with buying a less expensive basic reef test kit. then as you need to replace individual tests you can get Salifert. that's a little easier on the bankroll...or if money isn't an issue then drop the 2 bills on the Salifert master kit.

as far as a good place to buy them, i've found that most vendors are pretty much the same, so i'd look for sales or somewhere that gives a discount to RC members.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 07:21 PM   #5
66charger
Registered Member

Check out maroonlagoon.net for salifert test kits. It took nearly a month to get mine because they were on backorder at the time, but worth the wait for the price.

66charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 07:44 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

Accurate tests and using them to stablize your system to a T are the key, IMHO, to keeping a healthy reef. Swings in a given parameter cause stress, will kill some creatures, and generally do no creature any good, be they slow-reacting or fast as fish. The skimmer, the lights, the sump, the flow, are all important, but they're the machinery. The art-part of reefkeeping, IMHO, lies in reading those tests and refining your system until you've got an ideal situation for your livestock.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2006, 10:16 PM   #7
TGamel
Registered Member

I appreciate the replies, was looking at getting a SW test kit instead of the strips, but wasn't sure if it was really needed.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon FW, 20 Gallon SW
TGamel is offline   Reply With Quote