Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2014, 01:37 PM   #1
JustinK2
Registered Member

Help with XR15w Pro on nanocube

I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what intensity I should be running an XR15w Pro on my JBJ 24G nanocube. It was the LED version of the cube, but I gutted it and installed the XR15w. What I can't seem to figure out is what kind of effect the close proximity to the water (maybe 3") is having and whether or not the clear plastic shield is affecting the light output.
The fixture comes stock with the 120* TIR lenses and the coverage appears just fine despite the low clearance. Being a rookie here and just starting to learn about PAR readings is hard enough, but trying to factor in my variables with my VERY limited knowledge has been daunting. Anyone have any thoughts they could share? I can't seem to find many examples of other people's experiences with this fixture- so I have little to go on.

Thanks!

JustinK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 09:33 PM   #2
ReefKeep66
Registered Member

Depending on the intensity you run it, I'd raise the lights. I don't know what Ecotech reccomends, but I'm assuming at least 4-6" off the surface. I don't think the plastic sheild really deflects the light too much. If you mounted the xr15 into a preexisting top for the cube and can't really raise the light, I would run it at a lower intensity. Probably around 30% or somewhere.

ReefKeep66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 01:15 AM   #3
DesktopReefer
Registered Member

Ecotech recommends at least 8 inches of clearance from the surface. I would fear that at 3inches you will not be getting the correct spread of the spectrum produced.

DesktopReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 07:50 PM   #4
ReefKeep66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desktopreefer View Post
ecotech recommends at least 8 inches of clearance from the surface. I would fear that at 3inches you will not be getting the correct spread of the spectrum produced.
+1

ReefKeep66 is offline   Reply With Quote