Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2014, 10:37 PM   #1
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Water change without a bucket

http://youtu.be/IaeW4I4qi5Q

Just made this video for anyone tired of lugging buckets.

AdamSabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

hmm, interesting. i siphon through a hose that goes out my front door but i still carry buckets to fill my tank back up. my mixing container is 2 rooms away from where my tank is. wonder how big of a pump i'd need to run water from there back into my tank.

my back would very much appreciate the rest of me not having to haul water!!

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 11:07 AM   #3
morleyz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post
hmm, interesting. i siphon through a hose that goes out my front door but i still carry buckets to fill my tank back up. my mixing container is 2 rooms away from where my tank is. wonder how big of a pump i'd need to run water from there back into my tank.

my back would very much appreciate the rest of me not having to haul water!!
Your biggest problems will if you have to pump UP. I use a cheap pond pump to pump RO water about 25 feet to my mixing barrel and top off container. If your run is relatively flat, you won't need much of a pump to get the water going sideways.

Unread 12/18/2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

i'm gonna do some measuring this weekend and see what the possibilities are. thanks for the idea!

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Raul-7
Registered Member

This method is still the best for large WCs; like 50% or more.

Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 11:59 AM   #6
m0nkie
Registered Member

the new APEX DOS unit seems pretty cool. If you have APEX installed already, you can program it change out # of gallons of water a day. anytime you want. It will pump put and refill. Just run the lines to a nearby bathroom.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/dos/

Unread 12/18/2014, 12:37 PM   #7
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

This is basically how I do it, super easy. The only difference is I siphon from the sump. I turn off the main pump which allows the sump to fill a little more than usual (about 20g total, 89g total system), then use a 1/2" pipe to siphon all the water out of my sump onto my back paver patio (weed prevention).

When the sump is drained, I hook the pipe up to my mixing powerhead in my Brute and pump the new water back into the sump.

The whole process takes about 15 minutes. I mix in the garage and my tank is at the back of the house, but my Brute has wheels on the bottom. So I mix and match temp/salinity in the garage, then when ready just wheel the Brute around the house to my backdoor to do the water change.

Two comments from the video (nice video by the way!).

1. That is one long hose! I only have a standard 4' from Home Depot.

2. What kind of salt mix are you using with all that extra stuff in it? My salt mixes to clean/clear with only a few grains of unmixed salt in the bottom.

DivingTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 02:27 PM   #8
igot2gats
Deeeetroit Basketball!

Wow. Pretty awesome! Never thought about this way. My mixing barrel, and RODI barrel are in a room, right next to my tank. So, this would work perfectly.

What kind of pump is that in the sw barrel, that allows you to use 3/4" hose on?

Thanks for sharing.

Stop being lazy, and use the search function. Seriously.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT / 20g sump / 20g QT - Eheim 1250, Tunze Osmolator 3155, GHL Profilux 3, 2 Tunze 6095, Tunze Wavebox, Aqua Illumination Hydra LEDs
igot2gats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 04:04 PM   #9
rfgonzo
Registered Member

I would make sure to move the hose away from your lawn, it will end up killing your grass.

rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 06:40 PM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

I use a 55g barrel in the basement with a mag18. Because I got tired of getting a hose out, I hard plumbed a line up through the wall behind the tank. I have a $10 remote control power switch, so all I have to do it open a spigot behind the sump and turn on the pump.

FWIW - I haven't carried a bucket of water for years. Waaay too much like work!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 07:56 PM   #11
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post
hmm, interesting. i siphon through a hose that goes out my front door but i still carry buckets to fill my tank back up. my mixing container is 2 rooms away from where my tank is. wonder how big of a pump i'd need to run water from there back into my tank. my back would very much appreciate the rest of me not having to haul water!!
I use a rio 1200 through 50ft of hose but only 4 feet of head pressure. Of corse it's slow with the small pump but work. It's about 40GPM (SLOW) but manageable. I'll soon be moving the RIO to the RODI and adding a sicce to the salt barrell

Unread 12/18/2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Indymann99
Registered Member

My system is not automated but makes WC a 7min task.

Unread 12/18/2014, 08:06 PM   #13
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
This is basically how I do it, super easy. The only difference is I siphon from the sump. I turn off the main pump which allows the sump to fill a little more than usual (about 20g total, 89g total system), then use a 1/2" pipe to siphon all the water out of my sump onto my back paver patio (weed prevention). When the sump is drained, I hook the pipe up to my mixing powerhead in my Brute and pump the new water back into the sump. The whole process takes about 15 minutes. I mix in the garage and my tank is at the back of the house, but my Brute has wheels on the bottom. So I mix and match temp/salinity in the garage, then when ready just wheel the Brute around the house to my backdoor to do the water change. Two comments from the video (nice video by the way!). 1. That is one long hose! I only have a standard 4' from Home Depot. 2. What kind of salt mix are you using with all that extra stuff in it? My salt mixes to clean/clear with only a few grains of unmixed salt in the bottom.
#1. The hose is 50'. LONG! It's nice to have extra HD should sell it by the foot.
#2. That is good old instant ocean I think I got a weird batch or two (3 boxes were bought at same time) the new box is fine.

And thank you about the video. I'm enjoying making videos. I'm going to do some on motor and pump repair videos for industry. I plan on putting one out every 1-2 weeks for reefing too. Please subscribe you'll be my SECOND subscriber! I'm very new to it.

Unread 12/18/2014, 08:08 PM   #14
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2gats View Post
Wow. Pretty awesome! Never thought about this way. My mixing barrel, and RODI barrel are in a room, right next to my tank. So, this would work perfectly. What kind of pump is that in the sw barrel, that allows you to use 3/4" hose on? Thanks for sharing.
Tiny RIO 1200 and 50 feet of hose. Works well but a bigger pump would cut the time 2-4 minuets.

Unread 12/18/2014, 08:10 PM   #15
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
I would make sure to move the hose away from your lawn, it will end up killing your grass.
Yep but it's great weed control on my side walk.

Unread 12/18/2014, 08:12 PM   #16
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymann99 View Post
I wanted to do this but couldn't due to the layout of the house and where the wife allowed my to place the tank.

Unread 12/18/2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Sparky305
Registered Member

Pretty cool!

Sparky305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 09:34 PM   #18
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky305 View Post
Pretty cool!
Thanks you

Unread 12/18/2014, 09:56 PM   #19
Teenreefer15
Registered Member

Subbed

Teenreefer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 07:28 AM   #20
Shaummy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I use a 55g barrel in the basement with a mag18. Because I got tired of getting a hose out, I hard plumbed a line up through the wall behind the tank. I have a $10 remote control power switch, so all I have to do it open a spigot behind the sump and turn on the pump.

FWIW - I haven't carried a bucket of water for years. Waaay too much like work!
I do this also, but I connect up my Python tubing to the pump instead of hard plumbing it. Works like a champ.

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef, hermits, snails,Lyretail Anthias,Orange back Fairy Wrasse,Blue Reef Chromis,small blue tang, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma
Shaummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 10:15 AM   #21
Mrramsey
NEO Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymann99 View Post

I do a similar concept - pump 15g out and pump 15g back in. All from the sump. If I need to periodically do some vacuuming in the DT I just run the siphon line into a filter sock in the sump.

Current Tank Info: 120g In-Wall | BA Overflow | 55g Sump | SWC Extreme 150 Skimmer | DIY ATO | 2 Jebao RW-8| Fluval SP6 | Photon 48v2 LED | GFO and Carbon
Mrramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 03:32 PM   #22
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaummy View Post
I do this also, but I connect up my Python tubing to the pump instead of hard plumbing it. Works like a champ.
I did the same until the last upgrade - now the python tubing is waste water only.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 03:40 PM   #23
Teenreefer15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrramsey View Post
I do a similar concept - pump 15g out and pump 15g back in. All from the sump. If I need to periodically do some vacuuming in the DT I just run the siphon line into a filter sock in the sump.
nice

Teenreefer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 09:00 PM   #24
tc2007
Registered Member

I want to do something like this but not sure what type of pump I need to push water up from basement to ground level. Also it will not be a straight push, I have to go through the stairs. About 50-70ft in all I think. What pump is good? I will be changing about 10-15Gallons every 2 weeks.

tc2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 09:16 PM   #25
reefer roman
Registered Member

I just got my Neptune dos in the mail today can't wait to hook it up

reefer roman is offline   Reply With Quote