Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Hooligan
Registered Member

Jumping in with both feet

Greetings everyone.

My name is Mark and I'm a long-time lurker. I've had aquariums (mostly freshwater) pretty much constantly since I was about 9 or 10. I had my first marine aquarium starting in 1974 while in high school, and then again from 1984-87, but only freshwater since then. I've been planning a reef system for over 15 years and it's finally happening, so I figured it's time to post an introduction. I doubt I'll have the time to post a full-fledged "build" diary, but hopefully some pictures, info, and I'm guessing LOTS of questions from time to time.

I've been ordering tons of stuff over the last few months (the black Friday sales helped a lot!) and putting in the necessary plumbing and electrical infrastructure. The tank (approx 73 x 31 x 31, pictures attached) is about to start its journey to me. It will go in the living room while the sump, refugium, frag tank, and two QTs will be in the basement. I'm designing the system to allow for future expansion to accommodate two additional display tanks and probably one more refugium.

The tank has an external overflow box with holes for three 1.5" bulkheads (BeanAnimal). The two weirs total 32" in length. The return from the sump will come over the top and utilize a SeaSwirl in each back corner. Other circulation will be supplied via closed loops.

I'm going to try very hard to use quality equipment, not cut any corners, and be patient! Thanks in advance for help and advice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank1.jpg (52.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg tank2.jpg (62.8 KB, 47 views)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 10:08 PM   #2
firemedix911
Registered Member

Sounds like a very nice set up.

firemedix911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 09:35 PM   #3
ReefKeep66
Registered Member

Looks like it's going to be very nice! Sounds like you have the right approach as well. Can't wait to see progress, wishing you the best of luck.

ReefKeep66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Hooligan
Registered Member

Thanks for the well-wishes! Lots of work ahead!

Unread 12/19/2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Mrramsey
NEO Reefer

Good looking tank! Kind of wish i'd done a closed loop circulation on mine as well.

Current Tank Info: 120g In-Wall | BA Overflow | 55g Sump | SWC Extreme 150 Skimmer | DIY ATO | 2 Jebao RW-8| Fluval SP6 | Photon 48v2 LED | GFO and Carbon
Mrramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Hooligan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrramsey View Post
Good looking tank! Kind of wish i'd done a closed loop circulation on mine as well.
Thanks. More info on that here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2465600