Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Hotwired
Registered Member

New to Hobby need a little guidance please

Hello everyone.

I am new to the hobby and my family and I are wanting something unique (in my eyes anyway). So this is my idea....

I am hopefully getting a 300g acrylic tank soon and want to section the tank off to roughly 150g each side. The reason for doing this is one side would be for my wife's reef/non aggressive fish breeds. I on the other hand would like some aggressive/predator fish.

With this tank being sectioned would I run the risk of the predator fish injuring themselves on the partition trying to get the non aggressive fish?

Would the non aggressive fish be stressed all the time possible running the risk of becoming ill or even die?

Could I run both setups on the same equipment even though the tank would be partioned?

Equipment..

I do not have Radion money so I was thinking of running a t5/led combo for the lighting. The t5 for coral growth and the lower end leds for more aesthetic reasons.

What would be a good skimmer for a 300g tank? Could swing good not great quality as with the majority of things you get what you pay for (warranty is a good thing)...

I saw a few videos on the Maxspect gyre and was impressed with what I saw. However because the tank would be sectioned perhaps something like Eco-Drift 8.0 for each tank be a better buy.

RO/DI... I have been on the fence as to what i really need in a ro/di system. I am on a well and because of this I really dont know if I need something like a 6 stage system. My wife also would like to use it to hook up to the Fridge for drinking water.

Most of the equipment would be located in the basement which is aprox 12-15 feet below where the tank would be located. What pumps would you recommend because of the length?

I am sure i will think of a few other things to ask however i have ranted long enough (for now ).

Thank you all for being apart of this community. I look forward to all your comments/suggestions.

Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 08:52 PM   #2
morleyz
Registered Member

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I would say if you're going to partition for this type of setup, just use black acrylic so you don't have to worry about seeing through to the other side.

You can definitely use the same filtration. This would be the same as what most stores do and many hobbyists.

You definitely want RODI. It's not just chemical additives, etc. that get added to city water that you're worried about, but many of the minerals that are dissolved in your water can wreak havoc in a reef. You can check out the BRS system which also has a drinking water option. I'm sure other systems have this option as well.

Unread 12/19/2014, 07:04 AM   #3
julie180
Registered Member

I would never consider doing a sw tank without an RODI unit. Call and talk with one of the RODI suppliers to help decide what unit is best for you. Running it to the fridge is not a good idea. RODI water is not recommended to drink.

I've been very happy with my reeflo pump. They might not be the cheapest, but I like the low wattage.

Dividing a tank like you mentioned might cause you some problems trying to maintain good water quality for corals.

julie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 07:08 AM   #4
twon8
Formally registered membe

First have your well water tested to see if you need the rodi.

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Ron1966
Registered Member

using a black divider is the way to go. Just be sure to get correct height along with having the piece baffled to allow flow of water from one side to other. i assume you are running dual returns on each side for good water movement.
The idea is great but you should really think about the plans for future.
Full blown reef to FOWLR. Once you start to really get into hobby it becomes your next monthly bill.
I would try to see if there is a way to set up the divider so its removable for later on if youe plans change as a 300 gallon reef has great potentials.

Unread 12/19/2014, 08:45 AM   #6
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

You could also look into two seperate tanks runnig off a common sump. this way you could have all your equipment rated for the full water volume instead of buying seperate for two tanks. I've wondered about the devided tank before, and I think it would work, but if I were to go that route I think I'd rather do two tanks JMO. Of course I also like Ron1966's idea of the removable baffle. You may decide in the future that you both perfer either a reef or want a larger predator tank, and can just remove the baffle and sell the extra livestock to make room for the new.

As far as water quality, it would be tougher to keep the coral with the added bioload of a predator tank, as they are often messy eaters, with alot of poo, but with good equipment i think it can be done.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Hotwired
Registered Member

Thanks again everyone for the comments... I do plan on having a RO/DI unit, perhaps i said it wrong. I wasn't sure if a 4 stage would work or if i need to invest in a full blown 6 stage unit. there would be a bypass for the drinking water. I was planning on have a dual overflow setup because of the separation just wasn't sure as to which route to go for the overflows. I like the look of the ghost overflow though.

Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 09:40 AM   #8
igot2gats
Deeeetroit Basketball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastator007 View Post
You could also look into two seperate tanks runnig off a common sump. this way you could have all your equipment rated for the full water volume instead of buying seperate for two tanks.
This is the way I would do it. Too many risks to partition the tank, IMO.

Stop being lazy, and use the search function. Seriously.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT / 20g sump / 20g QT - Eheim 1250, Tunze Osmolator 3155, GHL Profilux 3, 2 Tunze 6095, Tunze Wavebox, Aqua Illumination Hydra LEDs
igot2gats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Mr_I_Dare_You
Registered Member

I agree that running two tanks is the way to go. As for RODI unit I would always recommend one. I am on city water and I use a stage 4 with no issues. Just remember to change the membrane every year or so.

Mr_I_Dare_You is offline   Reply With Quote