Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2010, 12:27 AM   #51
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickmin View Post
sweet
Welcome to Reef Central!

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 09:19 PM   #52
SleepyMike
Registered Member

Great tank!! How much are tours?

Current Tank Info: Building a 25 aqua system
SleepyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 10:40 PM   #53
jdarr
Registered Member

nicely done Greg

"The eyes are the groin of the head"- Dwight K Shrute

Current Tank Info: 250 gallon sps dominated reef
jdarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 10:50 PM   #54
Rogger Castells
Registered Member

Congratulations, I haven't seen a tank this nice in a while.

Rogger Castells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 11:02 PM   #55
grabthereef
Registered Member

Sick tank!!

Current Tank Info: 28 gal bowfront sps dominated reef, ATI Sunpower 4x24, octopus BH-1000 skimmer, vortech mp-10, bacteria powered
grabthereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 11:06 PM   #56
TOM BLEVINS
Registered Member

Very Nice Indeed!

TOM BLEVINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 07:20 AM   #57
ReefBum
Registered Member

This was certainly overdue. Congrats. You have a great tank!

Current Tank Info: Eurobraced 187g Low Iron Glass Tank
ReefBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 01:06 PM   #58
shookbrad
Registered Member

I can't believe your Angels don't munch on your corals! My Majestic and Blue Face will munch down Zoos, Xenia and mushrooms in a heart beat They even eat all the polyps off any sps I add. The only thing they leave alone is LPS and leathers.

What is your secret?

Awesom tank. If I am ever in your area, probably won't be, I would love to see it in person.

Current Tank Info: 220G, 107G Cylender, 42G Hex
shookbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 05:14 PM   #59
bobparker
Independent thinker

not enough full tank shots, would have like to have seen more.

bobparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 10:09 AM   #60
cmoreland
Registered Member

First of all, this reef is amazing and I find myself dreaming about a time when I can build such a great looking system.

Second, your food is predominantly pellets? I was really curious as to why and why not frozen foods? I always thought marine fish needed such a varied diet, and won't breed unless they get to chase down some live food every now and again.

Again, I had to send this to my wife it was so amazing. Being a Christian myself, I can't imagine someone thinking something like this just happened into existence. You have truly brought out some of the best the coral reefs of the world have to offer. I hope it lasts a lifetime!

Current Tank Info: AquaMedic Nanowave 9 & 50 Gallon Reef Project
cmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 12:12 PM   #61
bguile
Premium Member

Congrats oldude on a well deserved honor. Your tank looks beautiful! A couple questions if you don't mind:

I noticed you had a Marine Betta listed as one of your fish with a bunch of small fish and inverts. I was always told and read that the Betta would eat all the smaller tankmates, is your experience different?

Also, I noticed in your fishroom you have a windowfan with an air duct next to it. Is that air intake or outflow and how does that work with the duct?

Current Tank Info: 210G FOWLR, 40G Reef
bguile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 03:27 PM   #62
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
SleepyMike - Great tank!! How much are tours?
Thanks, come on over, tours are almost free!
Quote:
jdarr - nicely done Greg
Hey thanks a lot.
Quote:
Rogger Castells - Congratulations, I haven't seen a tank this nice in a while.
There have been some great tanks featured so that's a real compliment, thanks.
Quote:
grabthereef - Sick tank!!
Thank you.
Quote:
TOM BLEVINS - Very Nice Indeed!
Many thanks Tom.
Quote:
ReefBum - This was certainly overdue. Congrats. You have a great tank!
Thanks very much for your kind words.
Quote:
shookbrad - I can't believe your Angels don't munch on your corals! My Majestic and Blue Face will munch down Zoos, Xenia and mushrooms in a heart beat They even eat all the polyps off any sps I add. The only thing they leave alone is LPS and leathers.

What is your secret?

Awesom tank. If I am ever in your area, probably won't be, I would love to see it in person.
Thanks, I keep them well fed however even with that my imperator is not all that well behaved anymore, recently it's eaten most of my zoas, a clam & a couple of seriatoporas so it may need to get moved to the softy tank and join the majestic who like yours, eats most corals. Well actually mainly just the ones I care about. LOL
Quote:
bobparker - not enough full tank shots, would have like to have seen more.
Sorry you are disappointed. Lots more shots on my build thread found here.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459184
Quote:
cmoreland - First of all, this reef is amazing and I find myself dreaming about a time when I can build such a great looking system.

Second, your food is predominantly pellets? I was really curious as to why and why not frozen foods? I always thought marine fish needed such a varied diet, and won't breed unless they get to chase down some live food every now and again.

Again, I had to send this to my wife it was so amazing. Being a Christian myself, I can't imagine someone thinking something like this just happened into existence. You have truly brought out some of the best the coral reefs of the world have to offer. I hope it lasts a lifetime!
Thanks for the compliments. Regarding why pellets over frozen? Frozen stinks up my basement for about an hour after feeding and in comparison is a hassle to feed so they just get it as an occasional treat. With pellets I mix Formula one & Formula two together so it has a pretty good nutritional balance and I can also use auto-feeders making it very hassle free because I feed 6 times per day. Thanks again, I feel blessed to be involved in such a great hobby.
Quote:
bguile - Congrats oldude on a well deserved honor. Your tank looks beautiful! A couple questions if you don't mind:

I noticed you had a Marine Betta listed as one of your fish with a bunch of small fish and inverts. I was always told and read that the Betta would eat all the smaller tankmates, is your experience different?

Also, I noticed in your fishroom you have a windowfan with an air duct next to it. Is that air intake or outflow and how does that work with the duct?
Thanks very much. Good questions. First I find the Marine Betta to be very shy & timid and not aggressive to the smaller fish & inverts. I've had mine for over 3 years and never had an issue or even heard of any of my friends having those issues with theirs. I think they are a great addition to a reef although I might have just gotten lucky but who knows? Most fish are hit & miss in regards to their behavior from one tanks to another.
The exhaust fan is set in the widow and blows out. During the summer months I pull out the pink styro pieces you see. The ducting runs to a fan drawn intake located just above the lights to help move hot air in the fishroom to the exhaust fan to help keep the temp in the room down. Doesn't look like much but works pretty well. Thanks again.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~

Last edited by Oldude; 04/11/2010 at 03:33 PM.
Unread 04/11/2010, 04:11 PM   #63
bguile
Premium Member

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. One other question. You had mentioned that you used Randy Holmes-Farley's recipe for supplementing. Are you still using that recipe knowing that recently the pureness of it's ingredients have been in question? I've been using it in the past while having pH and algae issues with my tank but couldn't tell if it was the mix or other issues with my tank. I think I've found the real reason and removed it but was a little apprehensive about starting to use it again.

Unread 04/11/2010, 07:39 PM   #64
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguile View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. One other question. You had mentioned that you used Randy Holmes-Farley's recipe for supplementing. Are you still using that recipe knowing that recently the pureness of it's ingredients have been in question? I've been using it in the past while having pH and algae issues with my tank but couldn't tell if it was the mix or other issues with my tank. I think I've found the real reason and removed it but was a little apprehensive about starting to use it again.
I know that there's some concern with Mag flakes now days however I purchased mine from a source who got their shipment in 2007 and was told that is before the additives. I still have about 70 lbs left of so called "food grade" calcium so I should be ok for a little while. Not sure what I'll do after that. So are you saying your issues are from the calcium you're using?

~ April 2010 TOTM ~

Last edited by Oldude; 04/11/2010 at 08:33 PM.
Unread 04/11/2010, 07:41 PM   #65
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef 101 View Post
Nice!
Thanks, glad you like it.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Unread 04/11/2010, 09:56 PM   #66
jc-reef
Registered Member

I'm pretty new to the hobby and hope some day my 90g will look 1/10th as good as yours! Very inspiring and congrats!!

Current Tank Info: 300gal DD upgraded from 90 gal Mixed Reef Powered by T5 / LED
jc-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 10:02 PM   #67
DML08
Registered Member

Congrats man.. that beast is Awesome..

DML08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 11:19 PM   #68
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

"Well deserved and it;s about time" Greg. I'm sure you heard this already, but way to go Greg. Your tank is truely an inspiration to many of us and has been an inspiration to me for years. I just wish you didn't live so far away. Well, second thought, if you were closer, I probably wouldn't ever leave your house. LOL

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 05:31 AM   #69
FFrankie
Registered Member

Awesome! I am sorry to take so long to respond to this well deserved TOTM!
Your success has been an inspiration to me for many years now Greg.
Congratulation buddy! Bravo!

FFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 09:33 AM   #70
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
jc-reef - I'm pretty new to the hobby and hope some day my 90g will look 1/10th as good as yours! Very inspiring and congrats!!
Thank you very much. The nice thing about this hobby is you can achieve whatever works for you & suits your tastes which in my case have greatly evolved over time.
Quote:
DML08 - Congrats man.. that beast is Awesome..
Thanks
Quote:
bradleyj - "Well deserved and it;s about time" Greg. I'm sure you heard this already, but way to go Greg. Your tank is truely an inspiration to many of us and has been an inspiration to me for years. I just wish you didn't live so far away. Well, second thought, if you were closer, I probably wouldn't ever leave your house. LOL
Thanks for your kind words Bradley. Long time - no see, thanks for checking in.
Quote:
FFrankie - Awesome! I am sorry to take so long to respond to this well deserved TOTM!
Your success has been an inspiration to me for many years now Greg.
Congratulation buddy! Bravo!
Thanks very much Frankie. Thanks for stopping in and having a look. Your support is always appreciated.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Unread 04/12/2010, 04:16 PM   #71
joeyvu
Registered Member

Congrat Greg. I love your tank. It looks more than beautiful, especially the mermaid you have in there...
I have strong belief in God too...I thought I am the only one saying this, "I’ve always believed in evolution but after seeing this I think there must be a creator.”
Well-done Job...
Joey

joeyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 05:20 PM   #72
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvu View Post
Congrat Greg. I love your tank. It looks more than beautiful, especially the mermaid you have in there...
I have strong belief in God too...I thought I am the only one saying this, "I’ve always believed in evolution but after seeing this I think there must be a creator.”
Well-done Job...
Joey
Thanks very much Joey. I'll pass your compliment onto my "spousal unit" too.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Unread 04/12/2010, 05:30 PM   #73
bguile
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude View Post
I know that there's some concern with Mag flakes now days however I purchased mine from a source who got their shipment in 2007 and was told that is before the additives. I still have about 70 lbs left of so called "food grade" calcium so I should be ok for a little while. Not sure what I'll do after that. So are you saying your issues are from the calcium you're using?
Not with the calcium. I believe the problem to have been from my rock leeching phosphates. Since I've removed a significant amount of rock, my pH eventually went up from a constant and persistent 7.9 to around 8.2 and my battle with cyano is now over.

Unread 04/12/2010, 05:46 PM   #74
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguile View Post
Not with the calcium. I believe the problem to have been from my rock leeching phosphates. Since I've removed a significant amount of rock, my pH eventually went up from a constant and persistent 7.9 to around 8.2 and my battle with cyano is now over.
Glad to hear you won the battle

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Unread 04/13/2010, 09:52 AM   #75
goetzc
Registered Member

Hi Greg,

Congratulations on a well deserved TOTM.

I do have one question; I noticed that all your lights are on during the day.
It seems that most people run the refugium/frag tank lighting opposite the display to keep the ph stable.

Do you have a reason for doing it the way you do as opposed to running them opposite?

Thank you,
Chris

goetzc is offline   Reply With Quote