Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Connecticut Area Regional Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2008, 01:34 PM   #1
mikelaubach
Registered Member

How do you like me now? (FTS included) - links fixed

So I rebuilt the tank and wanted to post pix. After the "tear down the walls" speech recently and getting a clam and some other corals, I wanted it to look nice. I used the 1:1.6 rule he talked about and created a depression instead of an outcropping (I cannot follow the leader - I need to make my own way).

It is a 29 gallon tank, with HOB overflow down to a 10 gallon sump with skimmer, fuge and return. There is a Mag 5 return and two MJ1200's in the tank (stock, no mods yet) for flow.

Lighting is a 55W PC actinic, followed by a 55W PC 50/50 bulb, then finally the XM 10K 175W MH on an Ice Cap electronic ballast and all within a PFO reflector. Lights come on at 9, 10 and 11 am, and go off at 7, 8 and 9pm in the order listed above to simulate dawn and reverse to simulate sunset (for me anyway ).

Temperature and lighting is controlled by an AC Jr unit and is set for 77 (heat on below 76.8 and fan on above 77.3). I bought the Ice Cap fan that is temperature controlled as it is touted to be the best, and it's actually kinda noisy. I top-off with a mix of kalk and regular RO/DI when I haven't gotten the kalk prepared in time. I have been burning through a gallon a day for the winter. Hopefully it will slow down some now that the heat is off.

For water filtration, I use an Air Water Ice Typhoon III (the one with auto-shutoff) and it is hard plumbed into the water lines in the basement in a fish work area that I built between two shelving units my wife wanted built. I also added a stainless RO tank and feed that upstairs to a sink faucet for clean drinking water (we have a well here, but our MA city water is worse). I still want to add GFCI outlets at the water station for powerheads and heaters, as well as a dedicated overhead light. There will be kalk tank on the shelf on the right and an RO/DI water storage tank on the left (30-35 gallons).

That is all I can think of for now. These pix are on my web server at my house, so bandwidth is limited, but storage space is not - it's always a trade-off, but I have direct access, and no one has to sign up for any service and give their email to look at 'em.

Any questions, post them up!

Old FTS:

New FTS:

Left:

Right:

Water processing/fish work area/storage:

Full photos of the inhabitants can be viewed here:
http://www.mikelaubach.com/gallery/v...umName=29greef

Current Tank Info: 65G drilled, 10G sump, MCE600 skimmer, BRS dual carbon GFO rector

Last edited by mikelaubach; 04/21/2008 at 01:57 PM.
mikelaubach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2008, 02:01 PM   #2
krazeekiddie
Registered Member

Awesome!!

krazeekiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2008, 02:27 PM   #3
renogaw
Registered Member

nice

what's the 2" pvc 90 for?

renogaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2008, 02:50 PM   #4
mikelaubach
Registered Member

I had that in the QT tank when I first got the clowns. That was their home for a month before moving them into the display, so I moved that in with them so the move was less traumatic. I've not removed it as they use it all the time.

I'd rather they be happy. And the coralline is starting to get a good hold on it, and hopefully the xenia will grow to cover it and we won't see it any more (especially once the 65G goes together).

Current Tank Info: 65G drilled, 10G sump, MCE600 skimmer, BRS dual carbon GFO rector
mikelaubach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2008, 04:13 PM   #5
renogaw
Registered Member

maybe it will be their haven for spawning

renogaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Obi-dad
Registered Member

Re: How do you like me now? (FTS included) - links fixed

Quote:
Originally posted by mikelaubach
These pix are on my web server at my house, so bandwidth is limited, but storage space is not - it's always a trade-off, but I have direct access, and no one has to sign up for any service and give their email to look at 'em.

Even better - I can put your photos up on the CTARS website, no worries about bandwidth or space. Just fill out the following info (please don't change the headers, I use a program to parse the info). All club members are encouraged have their tank photos up on our website (or update the info and photos if their tanks are already up on the site).

Tank Type (Reef, FOWLR, SPS, LPS, Stonies, Softies, Seahorse, etc)

Tank Size and Construction (gallons, glass/acrylic, etc)

Filtration/Plumbing (sump, closed loop, etc)

Lighting (type of light, color, duration)

Target Temperature/salinity/Ca/Alk/etc

Ca/Alk Maintenance Method (Ca reactor, kalk drip, 2 part, etc)

Substrate/Rock

Livestock
Corals

Fish

Inverts

Comments/History/Future Directions

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking my RC name then 'visit homepage' - and please support your LFS

Current Tank Info: 75g mostly stonies. DIY LEDs (24 CW XP-G, 48 RB XR-E) on dwizum CAT4101 drivers, DIY Hydra controller, SSB, Korallin Ca Reactor, Euroreef skimmer
Obi-dad is offline   Reply With Quote