Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2019, 03:09 PM   #1
mattaytayan
Registered Member

Led light setup and usage help

Hi, i have a 5g fluval evo stock with a couple mushrooms and a clown, been running for 6 months and before that a year (did a tear down cause of pests).
Anyways, i upgraded my light and got the fluval aquasky. I got it mostly cause it can be used with the app and its inexpensive. Im asking for help on my program for the light and how long i should have it on and how many % RGBW. Here is my current setup that doesnt seem to be working good, any pointers for LED programs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattaytayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 04:35 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You want 6-8 hours of solid light and besides that just set it to a color you fine appealing.
Don't over complicate it..

Unread 09/17/2019, 09:38 AM   #3
mattaytayan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
You want 6-8 hours of solid light and besides that just set it to a color you fine appealing.
Don't over complicate it..

Does red an green help corals in any way, cause i hate the color it gives the tank, how many hours of day should there be light at all, like including slow sunrise and sunset and solid 6-8 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattaytayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 09:47 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Red/Green colors improve color rendition in that red fish/corals won't look "red" without some red spectrum.. Green things won't look "green" without some green spectrum..
Red can also promote some algae at times.. So its often beneficial for those wanting proper color rendition but sometimes seen as a negative to others..
From your avatar pic is seems you might be more of the "trippy Windex bottle" people who just want that fluorescent pop of corals and don't care much about proper coloration.. (which is fine)

Just remember that when posting "identification" pictures you will want to turn the blue channel down as proper color rendition can be important in identifying something..

That being said you can turn off most if not all of your red and green if you want.. People have grown corals just fine with blue and white channels only..

As to total hours.. 6-8 solid hours is all you need.. beyond that sunrise/sunset is just a fancy addition.. Having a 1 hour ramp up and ramp down would be just fine giving you a total of 8-10 hours of light..