Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2017, 02:27 PM   #4076
Ostri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
man no wonder my mental stability and my cognitive functions have deteriorated since my osteo exploded. and continue on after gotten rig of them with dosing of Vibrant. I think the dino toxin will linger on and our liver or kidney isn't able to metabolize it. Wondering if anyone has examine the half life of of this substance.
I'm having the same problem. Did Dino X kill your ostreopsis ovata?

Ostri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 08:18 PM   #4077
neiltus
Registered Member

Back on page 161-162 you can see my problem. One of the things I changed was my salt mix. Up until that problem, I had been using HW Marinemix Reef. I tested it for PO4 and it came in at .03 on the Hanna Checker.

Back in November I changed to red sea blue bucket, and the dino gradually faded away. I did a number of other variable changes as well.

Last friday I did a water change of 17.5g with some of the HW Marine salt. I also prepared 10gallons of new water for a coral QT tank. This week the dino are back, not to the level that they were, but they are back nonetheless in both the DT (received 17.5g) and the coral QT (received 10g).

I do have another QT running with red sea blue salt in it, it is dino free.

I know this is purely coincidental, but I suspect that the salt mix has something in it that feeds them.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592260
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 04:56 AM   #4078
DNA
Registered Member

A root cause for dinoflagellates has been found.
Start reading DNA's posts from page 162.

You could stick your head back into the sand and wait forever or act now.
Unfortunately it's not the no-effort solution everyone wants, but the goal is simple and the right results are very likely if you do it properly.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 09:18 PM   #4079
neiltus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
A root cause for dinoflagellates has been found.
Start reading DNA's posts from page 162.

You could stick your head back into the sand and wait forever or act now.
Unfortunately it's not the no-effort solution everyone wants, but the goal is simple and the right results are very likely if you do it properly.
In summary, clean your tank WELL to fix the problem. More through than you have in the past...socks, vacuum, blowing off rocks, skim, carbon/purigen (my choice), water movement and possibly even sand removal or elimination.

All that loose organic matter is a heyday for our one celled enemy.

Unread 01/23/2017, 03:05 PM   #4080
koral_lover
Registered Member

So I spent a quite a bit of time studying from about post 100 and on. I decided to try the "dirty" method. Although, I am not sure it is a successful approach still or not as it was hard to keep track of who implemented it, saying it worked, then came back weeks later saying they had problems again.

In addition to the dirty method, i have started a ATS. I notice a fair amount of green algae on the glass now and also have some GHA now growing on the overflow and my ATS in the sump. Whats strange is I can't get a nitrate reading throughout the whole course of this tank's life! That bugs me as in tanks past I have always had an ongoing battle with nitrates creeping up. Phosphates in this tank seem easy to manipulate though in either direction.

On a positive note, the dinos have died down dramatically, so much so that I don't consider them a problem. However, Cyano has taken their place...where do I go from here? Keep riding dirty and see if the GHA takes over the Cyano and that my ATS picks things up? Try the ChemiClean?...but I don't want to make way for the Dinos again...

It seems from others experiences, I will inevitably always have to run a dirty tank as the minute they employed nutrient control techniques for GHA or cyano, the dinos came back.

Lastly, I haven't removed the sandbed.....yet...but if I can't get the Cyano under control, I will use my handy Home Depot bucket head and suck it out, followed by a water change. I really don't want to do this, as I can't stand barebottom tanks. The hobby has really become not enjoyable as of late...

koral_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 01:57 PM   #4081
92reefer
Registered Member

Hello All. I've been struggling trying to eradicate a nasty slimy brown type of growth that keeps coming back. This stuff starts as small almost translucent, very slimy little whisps which are strink like. They attach to sand rock tank, everything except the fish. They eventually grow and smother the rock work and completely cover the back of the tank.

existing thread with pics of before and after (recent tank reset):
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...6#post24931606

I've already done several complete tank tear-downs, washed the everything, set it back up with new substrate rock etc. and eventually it returned as seen in the photo (below).

I'm just completely frustrated, but I found this thread and I think Dino's might be my problem.

I just did another tank reset and everything is scrubbed and cleaned. I'm thinking about trying VIBRANT as a proactive measure and hoping that will battle the Dino's (if that's what was taking over my tank) before they can get a foot hold on my tank.

Has anyone had success using this product?

92reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 07:37 PM   #4082
bertoni
RC Mod

Some people have been successful with it, and others haven't seen much effect.

Unread 01/29/2017, 08:12 AM   #4083
DNA
Registered Member

92 reefer.

It's time to bring out the microscope.
My bet is calothrix and perhaps dinos as well.

The pictures are not the best so that's my guess for now.

Unread 01/29/2017, 09:24 AM   #4084
92reefer
Registered Member

Thanks Bertoni and DNA!

I don't have a microscope and didn't want to spend close to $100 on one.

I did find this older pic of the stuff before yet another tank reset. Does this pic help ID it?

I think I'll try the Vibrant first as it was only $25 and see what happens. If that fails I guess I have to pony up and spring for the microscope!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Algae on back wall.jpg (46.2 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by 92reefer; 01/29/2017 at 09:30 AM.
Unread 01/29/2017, 09:30 PM   #4085
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm not at all sure what the stuff on the tank walls is. Vibrant seems to be a reasonable experiment.

Unread 01/30/2017, 01:23 PM   #4086
92reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I'm not at all sure what the stuff on the tank walls is. Vibrant seems to be a reasonable experiment.
Thanks Bertoni!

I ordered it and will report back after it's in the tank..

Unread 01/30/2017, 03:05 PM   #4087
tri4god
Registered Member

I am battling these guys. H202 has not worked. I just started dino X

https://youtu.be/r5j_HAkHU-U

tri4god is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2017, 03:14 PM   #4088
92reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri4god View Post
I am battling these guys. H202 has not worked. I just started dino X

https://youtu.be/r5j_HAkHU-U
Man I wish I had a microscope so I could positively ID my culprit

Unread 01/31/2017, 08:35 AM   #4089
TampaSnooker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92reefer View Post
Man I wish I had a microscope so I could positively ID my culprit
Call your local high school's science teacher and see if they can assist. Use your cell phone to take a photo through the eyepiece if they don't have it hooked up to a computer.

Unread 02/06/2017, 05:00 PM   #4090
DNA
Registered Member

Since this is a problem solved I see no need in further discussions here, but if you like to keep going be my guest.
I have no doubt that my results can be repeated by anyone with Ostreopsis dinoflagellates and probably most other types as well.

I'd like to thank everyone that participated and took active part in tests and discussions.
It's been a long journey and with persistence and stubbornness we have won a number of small victories and a the ultimate result eventually.

From day one in 2013 I set out to document, share and eliminate every imaginable method that I and others could come up with and towards the end I had a hard time coming up with new ones and almost lost all hope. I have to say there was no luck involved in finally getting rid of the dinos. I've spent ridiculous time on dinoflagellates so it was a well informed decision that nailed it. I really like to lead other reefers out of the dark and having showed the way, they can come out when they like.

The joy in finding a reason and a solution for such as a difficult problem as dinoflagellates is like nothing else.

Now I'm moving on.

Unread 02/06/2017, 06:47 PM   #4091
karimwassef
Registered Member

Don't quit yet... now you can show pictures of a healthy reef

Share the good as well as the bad

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 06:52 PM   #4092
taricha
Registered Member

Hey guys. How's it going?
I accidentally got rid of my dinos over the summer, stayed gone since. Accidentally in that I'm not sure what I did precisely. Got some theories though, but need dinos to test, so I've been going lax on the maintenance to give them chance to come back. Started getting cyano a few weeks ago, and figured the dino gateway has been opened.

Sure enough, as of today, got a couple of patches of amphidinium dinos in the tank now.

DNA, thanks for thread and all your contributions to it. I need to re-read your success story.
For the last third of this thread, I believed that when everyone else in the world had their dinos solved, DNA would still have his mutant immortal super-ostreopsis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 08:02 PM   #4093
robertifly
Premium Member

Been dealing with it for 15 months and running dirty for 6 or more then tried Vibrant, dino are at least in remission. I've done a gravel clean and 20% wc still looking good. I like my tank again, YA! I did cut back on feeding and cut lighting to 80% maybe just the right combo.

Current Tank Info: none
robertifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 12:53 PM   #4094
92reefer
Registered Member

Just wanted to report back that I tried Vibrant Aquarium cleaner (states gets rid of algae etc) in my tank just after the most recent tank reset.

So far the residual grayish light brownish crap that was on the backwall of my tank and has been growing for almost 2 years is on the retreat. After the initial dose about a week ago I'd say that it has receded by almost 75% and is very close to being totally gone. I just applied the 2nd dose today and I'm very optimistic that this product will finally be just what I was looking for as a solution.

Not saying this is the fix-all for anyone and HATS OFF to DNA and everyone else's work on this thread/problem. Just reporting my experience: Also keep in mind I just did a tank reset and removed all old sand (replaced with new Tahitian Moon Sand = non aragonite based substrate) thus removing about 90% of the "crap" whatever it was out of the tank: so that back up what DNA and everyone else is saying about clean, clean clean. There was some residual "crap" still left on the backwall that I didn't get off. In previous tank resets this stuff would just grow and grow until about 6 months later, it would cover everything in the tank including backwall, sand and rocks. This time the residual crap has receded about 75%.

Very excited about the thoughts of a perpetually clean tank: so will post back in another week or so....

Unread 02/09/2017, 06:53 PM   #4095
neiltus
Registered Member

maybe those trying vibrant can post some before/after shots?

Unread 02/11/2017, 03:01 PM   #4096
stan zemanek
Registered Member

I just shot my first dose of Vibrant in my 200 gallon bare bottom tank. Have Dinos like crazy. I have spent weeks blowing off my rocks (like DNA suggested), and running high flow to get the crap to the sump and through my UV light. UV doesn't seem to kill it fast enough. All my tank parameter numbers are perect.

Crazy thing is I'll start blowing offf the crap and dino bubbles from the rock at one end of the tank and by the time I get to the far end of the tank the bubbles are back where I first started. Seems like the more you agitate them with a turkey baster, the faster they come back. Going to try vibrant for awhile, if that doesn't work I think it will be time to take up another hobby.

stan zemanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2017, 03:35 PM   #4097
Livingjewels
Registered Member

God knows why this thread is still going..I think by the time you've read the 1st three pages you get the gist of the conclusion... Dino flagelates will be the last thing to exist on earth when all other organisms are dead..

The best advice I can give to you is flush your water down the drain, clean all rock and equipment.. and start again.. your wasting time and money and risking your health dealing with these things..

I tried allsorts like the things mentioned in here trying to resurrect the wellbeing of my tank..
I boiled my water which cleared them, but although I was free of them and none existed in my system after that I've never had anything live in my water other than fish and critters.

Corals would die within a few week.. ive since decommissioned that old tank and started a new one.. I can only advise the same to you to revert the wasting of time I suffered..

Good luck..

Livingjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 10:59 PM   #4098
Thor2j
Registered Member

Can someone ID these dinos??

Thor2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 11:35 PM   #4099
Acromaniac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Since this is a problem solved I see no need in further discussions here, but if you like to keep going be my guest.
I have no doubt that my results can be repeated by anyone with Ostreopsis dinoflagellates and probably most other types as well.

I'd like to thank everyone that participated and took active part in tests and discussions.
It's been a long journey and with persistence and stubbornness we have won a number of small victories and a the ultimate result eventually.

From day one in 2013 I set out to document, share and eliminate every imaginable method that I and others could come up with and towards the end I had a hard time coming up with new ones and almost lost all hope. I have to say there was no luck involved in finally getting rid of the dinos. I've spent ridiculous time on dinoflagellates so it was a well informed decision that nailed it. I really like to lead other reefers out of the dark and having showed the way, they can come out when they like.

The joy in finding a reason and a solution for such as a difficult problem as dinoflagellates is like nothing else.

Now I'm moving on.
Will be trying this method starting on the weekend, So far I have taken all my fish out and in to a holding tank, removed all my sps from the live rock and chucked the rock. The SPS now sit on egg crate racking. The tank will be spotless after I clean out the sump on the weekend. I will also run a 1 micron sock and hose out daily to ensure there is no marine snow. I will report back when I have results. My dino is osti and I have tried every method including Vibrant and even bleach as going on in another forum.

Acromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 05:37 AM   #4100
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2j View Post
Can someone ID these dinos??
It looks like Prorocentrum to me.
http://www.algaeid.com/identification/

Fish Keeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote