Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2012, 05:08 PM   #2001
Witch-King
Premium Member

I think this is Derbesia and I'm at a loss on how to beat it. I figured I would post here, but if this is Derbesia I read that Algae fix couldn't eradicate it. The tank has been up for years and is thriving better than ever before, but I missed months of water changes while doing a house remodel and now I'm stuck with these clumps of the worst algae I've ever experienced. I recently increased mag with tech m from 1250 to 1600 and still showing no change 5 days into treatment.

Witch-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 11:54 PM   #2002
KCombs
They Call me "RifRaf"

^ I got that stuff, I pull it and it grows back in the same spot....
...only thing is it hasn't spread from the single spot I see it...
...not sure whats going on in your tank, but my infestation doesn't seem aggressive at all after 1yr,,,,

The beatings will continue until moral improves

Current Tank Info: 90G reef, 150G FOWLR
KCombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2012, 03:57 AM   #2003
el aguila
Registered Member

I just finished Chem Clean with a large water change on Sunday. Will probably do 40G water changes every 3 days for 3-5 water changes.

Looks like what I thought was cyno must be a type of algae because the chemiclean didn't phase it.

With the difference in chemical composition between the Chemiclean and the AlgaeFix, how long should I wait before dosing the AF? I have also switched out carbon and GFO yesterday and am wet skimming.

Am thinking about dosing AF over a 2 hour period since there are some negative comments about dosing AF to larger tanks. Spot applying locally to major infestations. Next dose manually pull previously hit algae out and proceeding to another area of rock.

el aguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2012, 03:59 AM   #2004
el aguila
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el aguila View Post
I just finished Chem Clean with a large water change on Sunday. Will probably do 40G water changes every 3 days for 3-5 water changes. 190DT /w 450G total water volume

Looks like what I thought was cyno must be a type of algae because the chemiclean didn't phase it.

With the difference in chemical composition between the Chemiclean and the AlgaeFix, how long should I wait before dosing the AF? I have also switched out carbon and GFO yesterday and am wet skimming.

Am thinking about dosing AF over a 2 hour period since there are some negative comments about dosing AF to larger tanks. Spot applying locally to major infestations. Next dose manually pull previously hit algae out and proceeding to another area of rock.

Unread 08/21/2012, 11:38 PM   #2005
bertoni
RC Mod

ChemiClean probably is an antibiotic, most likely erythromycin, but we don't know for sure. Algae Fix is a general poison to which many algae are more susceptible than the animals we want to keep.

I would wait until the skimmer is back to normal and the corals and other animals have been fine for a week before starting on the Algae Fix, but I am the cautious sort.

Unread 08/22/2012, 07:39 AM   #2006
el aguila
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
ChemiClean probably is an antibiotic, most likely erythromycin, but we don't know for sure. Algae Fix is a general poison to which many algae are more susceptible than the animals we want to keep.

I would wait until the skimmer is back to normal and the corals and other animals have been fine for a week before starting on the Algae Fix, but I am the cautious sort.
I think waiting a week is probably a good idea. I have changed 230G thus far and the skimmer returned to normal yesterday. At this point everything "looks normal".

Unread 09/29/2012, 08:30 AM   #2007
dirtyBit
Registered Member

I've not found an answer to this but can I use the PondCare AlgaeFix? It get twice as much as the Freshwater for the same price. It seems to have the same % of the active ingredient.

dirtyBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 02:31 PM   #2008
bertoni
RC Mod

You would need to match the ingredient list in the saltwater product. From what I can tell, the ingredients are the same, but the web page I was checking might be wrong.

Unread 09/29/2012, 08:44 PM   #2009
dirtyBit
Registered Member

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.

dirtyBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 10:44 PM   #2010
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome! Good luck! Let us know how it works!

Unread 09/30/2012, 04:57 PM   #2011
biecacka
Registered Member

not sure about the pond one, but i spoke with the manufacturer and they told me that the marine and the freshwater are 100% the same.
corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 09:58 PM   #2012
bertoni
RC Mod

That's what I would think. I would guess that they just use different labeling and container sizes for the different markets.

Unread 10/02/2012, 09:32 AM   #2013
crabbyjoe
Registered Member

i meant to post some before and after pics when i started using AF but unfortunately forgot to take pictures! :/

i honestly saw no change in hair algae after an 8 dose cycle in my tanke. the only thing that died off were my snails resulting in more nutrients in the water and yes, you guessed it.. more algae.

Back to square one. i'm moving my 56g into a 90g soon and hoping to have a chance to directly attack rocks w/ a lot of hair algae when i break the reef down.

crabbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 10:10 AM   #2014
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyBit View Post
I've not found an answer to this but can I use the PondCare AlgaeFix? It get twice as much as the Freshwater for the same price. It seems to have the same % of the active ingredient.

....YES!

I have a 1 gal. bottle hooked up to a doser and dose 30ml three times a week into my 300g DT. Works to slow down the growth of green algae.

RA

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2012, 11:20 PM   #2015
asylumdown
Registered Member

I developed a serious GHA problem when I removed my fish for an ich treatment. It's a long story, but my tank had zero nutrient export for almost 6 weeks (no skimmer, no water changes, no GFO, no pellets) and I was still feeding the tank. I knew i was going to have problems, but I didn't know how bad they were going to be. When I got things working again properly, I started a really aggressive nutrient reduction campaign, started changing the water almost every other day, and got a small army of Mexican turbos. While that slowed the growth of the algae down, it wasn't stopping or reversing the trend at all. I was manually removing probably 2 pounds of the stuff a week. We can't get Algaefix Marine in Canada, so I ordered some from Asia on Ebay. I'd say the results speak for themselves. These pics are after 4 doses, and yes I went on a bit of a coral shopping spree while I was dosing. I've also noticed a dramatic increase in the rate of coral growth since the algae started to recede. I've been changing thick, algae covered filter socks every day:

Before: Front

After: Front

Before: Back

After: Back

Some closeups
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I'm going to have to give away most of my turbos soon. Now if I can find a permanent source of aiptasia control, my tank will be exactly where I want it for once!

asylumdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2012, 12:15 AM   #2016
bertoni
RC Mod

Looks like good results!

If you find the Aiptasia cure, please let us know.

Unread 11/07/2012, 11:12 PM   #2017
RonV
Registered Member

asylumdown thank you for posting the pics, I also have a bad GHA problem. I going the try AlgaeFix Marine to clean up my tank.

bertoni, what Aiptasia? You must have very good eyes, I looked and I didn't see any but I am getting old and my eyes are not like they were when I was young.

RonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2012, 12:03 AM   #2018
bertoni
RC Mod

I was referring to the last sentence in the post.

Unread 11/08/2012, 10:07 PM   #2019
RonV
Registered Member

Sorry, I understand now.

RonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2012, 10:48 PM   #2020
biecacka
Registered Member

Can't remember if I have seen this before or not but can one dose AF and chemi clean at the same time?
Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2012, 12:12 PM   #2021
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I wouldn't dose both AF and Chemiclean at the same time. One kills algae & perhaps other small microbes. The Chemiclean is an antibiotic which kills many bacteria and cyanobacteria. The combination of the two may not be desirable.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2012, 12:17 AM   #2022
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree. I'd space out the dosing and give the tank some time to recover.

Unread 11/16/2012, 06:02 PM   #2023
mrabolli
Registered Member

You think if adding to a tank with no livestock you could up the dose significantly?

mrabolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 07:50 PM   #2024
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

If you increase the dose enough, AF will kill all micro-organisms. The active ingredient is used as a sterilant at higher doses. AF will break down within 24 hrs.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 10:50 PM   #2025
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

[QUOTE=Witch-King;20581042]I think this is Derbesia and I'm at a loss on how to beat it. I figured I would post here, but if this is Derbesia I read that Algae fix couldn't eradicate it. The tank has been up for years and is thriving better than ever before, but I missed months of water changes while doing a house remodel and now I'm stuck with these clumps of the worst algae I've ever experienced. I recently increased mag with tech m from 1250 to 1600 and still showing no change 5 days into treatment.
[QUOTE]

Tech M works against bryopsis. I have never heard it said it works against derbesia.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ganjero