Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2010, 11:20 AM   #26
Toadally
Registered Member

I just started using the Vertex Bio Pellets. Along with the pellets are you guys still dosing bacteria on a regular basis?

"Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here,
and drink whatever comes out?"

Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte (RASOC) Treasurer

Current Tank Info: 57gal. Illuminata, Bubble Magus Skimmer, Tek Elite 6x39w, 40gal. Breeder, 2x A150w Kessil LED
Toadally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2010, 05:32 AM   #27
sjm817
On Yer left!

Interesting post from Jeremy B of Premium Aquatics:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1874724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
I have been asked by many hobbyists in the last month or so exactly what are the differences between the many brands, and new formulas within the same brands, of carbon reducing pellets available on the market. I thought I would share the information that I have in one public place so that more can reference it, along with a comparison photo of the current brands we carry.

From the research that I have done on my own I have come to figure out that we are dealing with non-starch based genetically modified plastic resins, manufactured by only a couple of different places world wide.

These plastic resins, as many products are in the very small aquarium industry, are not designed or manufactured specifically for our industry. Rather, they are used in injection molding and blow molding of biodegradable items such as plastic water bottles, disposable forks, spoons, knives, and plates. Once these items hit the landfill, which is full of anaerobic and aerobic bacterias, the breakdown process begins. It just so happens that these same anaerobic and aerobic bacterias are present within our aquariums, causing a similar reaction, which then releases the wanted food source for our bacterias to "super" populate.

Now that we have multiple available pellets, what are the actual differences? Again, to my knowledge from my own research, I have found that mostly it's just manufacturer who has extruded the pellet itself. I have found exactly 2 companies worldwide who have created an additive that when used between .5% and 1% mixing ratio with the polymers that form the resin, make the plastic "biodegradable" once the pellet is extruded.

Below you will find a photo of the different brand pellets we have, and the similarities between those. Please note that this is just the information I have formed from my own research. I do not have definitive information on the exact chemical makeup of the different brand pellets we are selling, as that has not been released by the reseller.

Unread 09/26/2010, 03:59 PM   #28
ERICinFL
Rejisturd Mimbur

Great read. Hopefully this product will get much less expensive as time goes on.

Sorry kids, your college fund is gone, but the tank looks SWEET right?

Current Tank Info: 150gal mixed reef. ER CS135, 65gal sump/fuge with a Mag12 return. (2) Korillia 4s, (1) modded MJ1200, two SunSun 3200gph powerheads. 250+lbs LR.
ERICinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2010, 11:34 PM   #29
polleke
Registered Member

Very interesting thread. If the above is true we should be able to use bio degradable forks or spoons as well. So now I have two dishwashers. One for the metal knifes and one for the plastic ones.

Must be really cheap stuff then, put it in a different bag and the price goes over a factor 100 or so.

Still don't know if I want to be the first to try, maybe they put some kind of dye in those forks.

polleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2010, 01:12 PM   #30
Runfrumu
Hi

I'd say within the year someone will have found the supplier and everyone will be able to get the polymer dirt cheap, much like getting GFO from Bulk reef supply instead of Phosban.

I'd imagine the reason the prices are so steep right now is that they know this will happen eventually so they are trying to cash in as much and as fast as possible with something they know is the new hot product.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon oceanic tank, Lighthouse Pro XLS, 72" outer orbit fixture, H&S 150-F2000/1 skimmer, H&S 110 Calcium Reactor, Tunze 7096, 2 Tunze 6105's , Tunze Osmolator, Prime 1/4hp drop-in chiller. 5 years running. Red Sea Max, 3 years.
Runfrumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2010, 01:17 PM   #31
Runfrumu
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadally View Post
I just started using the Vertex Bio Pellets. Along with the pellets are you guys still dosing bacteria on a regular basis?

I was using prodibio a few years before I started the pellets, and the prodibio really helped with my cyano product. I still dose it every 15 days, but just the bacteria part, biodigest, and not the bioptem, which I believe is the carbon source.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon oceanic tank, Lighthouse Pro XLS, 72" outer orbit fixture, H&S 150-F2000/1 skimmer, H&S 110 Calcium Reactor, Tunze 7096, 2 Tunze 6105's , Tunze Osmolator, Prime 1/4hp drop-in chiller. 5 years running. Red Sea Max, 3 years.
Runfrumu is offline   Reply With Quote