Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2016, 06:00 AM   #151
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Which Bubble king to choose from

Hey @Slief I'm building put my tank now and have BUbble King as the top skimmer. I'm doing a 150g tank with a 40g sump. Which Bubble King do you recommend?

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 09:31 AM   #152
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsangelbx View Post
Hey @Slief I'm building put my tank now and have BUbble King as the top skimmer. I'm doing a 150g tank with a 40g sump. Which Bubble King do you recommend?
I would suggest the Double Cone 180. It would be perfect for your size display/system.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 10:00 PM   #153
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Thanks Slief, it's greatly appreciated.

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 07:05 AM   #154
seregus
Registered Member

Hi again,

So nothing helped out - it's just a constant flow of microbubles coming out of the skimmer.
I've replaced the pump by ordering a brand new one and it didn't change anything at all and it's already 2 weeks, so it's definitely not break-in period, I guess?

I'm trying to find a solution for micro-bubbles not coming into display, but this seems very strange, because before there was zero bubbles...

seregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 09:39 AM   #155
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seregus View Post
Hi again,

So nothing helped out - it's just a constant flow of microbubles coming out of the skimmer.
I've replaced the pump by ordering a brand new one and it didn't change anything at all and it's already 2 weeks, so it's definitely not break-in period, I guess?

I'm trying to find a solution for micro-bubbles not coming into display, but this seems very strange, because before there was zero bubbles...
Can you post some pictures of the skimmer in the sump so we can see your return chambers, water level etc? How many fish are in the tank and what is your salinity?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/16/2016, 12:45 PM   #156
oldimpala
Registered Member

Slief....

So, I ordered a RD3/Double-Cone 180 to replace my older 200 Deluxe Internal.

I've been a BK user for a while, so the wedge pipe/volute is second nature. Just looking for a starting point on water level/height in sump, turns of the volute, and motor watts.

Plus, just a thought... Why don't you start a sticky with some baselines for each common skimmer/some basic break-in adjustments/tips.

Might save you some keystrokes.

Thanks again for the advice picking it out, and looking forward to the new toy!

oldimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 03:47 PM   #157
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldimpala View Post
Slief....

So, I ordered a RD3/Double-Cone 180 to replace my older 200 Deluxe Internal.

I've been a BK user for a while, so the wedge pipe/volute is second nature. Just looking for a starting point on water level/height in sump, turns of the volute, and motor watts.

Plus, just a thought... Why don't you start a sticky with some baselines for each common skimmer/some basic break-in adjustments/tips.

Might save you some keystrokes.

Thanks again for the advice picking it out, and looking forward to the new toy!
I am working on that sticky. I was in part trying to use the other thread to collect some data on what other peoples settings are. Especially when I haven't used all the BK skimmers personally.

I'd suggest starting at around 8" sump depth and 22 watts. You may need to raise the sump level but that is a good starting point. If you need to close the wedge pipe more than 50% than I would raise the sump level further.

Unread 02/19/2016, 06:41 AM   #158
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Hey autodave. I have the DC 150 too. I have talked to several owners and most are in 6-7" of water, volute 4-4.5 turns out and the wedge pipe barely closed.

I believe there has to be an environmental or salt creep issue in your case.

This is my cup after 4 days on a 80 display, medium stock.

with

mikeatjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 09:06 AM   #159
autodave
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Mike. My struggles continue with this skimmer. Lately I have been taking Lineman's advice and working my way out with the volute. Right now I am at 6" water depth, wedge fully open and volute at 1.25 turns out. I seem to get it skimming good and slowly opening the volute each day (I was up to 2 turns out) but 2-3 days later it starts to overflow. This has been happening at all the water levels I try. I can eliminate salt creep as an issue, as far as something with my water, I have not done anything to affect it. I do 25% water every 3 weeks. Visually my tank is healthy as it has ever been. I understand where I need to be with the adjustments, but getting there seems to be really difficult for me.

autodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 01:57 PM   #160
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Dave I have owned many skimmers and I usually find if my skimmer goes nuts every few days, week or just periodically it is environmental. Sock changes, additives, food, oils.....

You said you were at 1.25 turns and 2 it over flows. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Very interested to hear where you end up.

mikeatjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2016, 01:22 PM   #161
hedehodo
Registered Member

I have 80g net water volume 6 months old tank with heavy livestock. My nitrates is around 5ppm. I m also using prodibio biodigest and bioptim every other week. My skimmer is oversized Mini 180 v12 without RD3 pump(recommended for 400-700 liters).

In the beginning my skimmer is not producing thick skimmate. It's working in 25cm water depth until 2 weeks ago. I read the posts here and increase the water depth to 27cm. My skimmer is producing more quality bubbles now but not with enough skimmate. Last week it's produced maybe 1cm dark skimmate but not more. I have looked "mikeatjac" sent pictures and I say i had never get a skimmate like this. My wedge pipe is %70 closed to get the bubbles up to neck. If I adjust it to open a little bit then no skimmate. If i close it a little bit more so very wet skimmate I'm getting.

My live stock; (2 times feeding with pellets and flakes)
1xmedium Foxface rabbitfish
1xmedium Blue hippo tang
1xM-L Yellow Tang
3x firefish
1x yellow wrasse
5x chromis
1x ruby red dragonet
2x medium percula clowns
2x cleaner shrimp
6x conch snail

Return pump : 2000 lph
Using also filter socks (changing every week)
2x vortech Mp40 %30 reef crest mode
Phosban reactor /GFO/Carbon mixed
SG: 1,025

Any recommendations?

hedehodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2016, 07:26 PM   #162
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedehodo View Post
I have 80g net water volume 6 months old tank with heavy livestock. My nitrates is around 5ppm. I m also using prodibio biodigest and bioptim every other week. My skimmer is oversized Mini 180 v12 without RD3 pump(recommended for 400-700 liters).

In the beginning my skimmer is not producing thick skimmate. It's working in 25cm water depth until 2 weeks ago. I read the posts here and increase the water depth to 27cm. My skimmer is producing more quality bubbles now but not with enough skimmate. Last week it's produced maybe 1cm dark skimmate but not more. I have looked "mikeatjac" sent pictures and I say i had never get a skimmate like this. My wedge pipe is %70 closed to get the bubbles up to neck. If I adjust it to open a little bit then no skimmate. If i close it a little bit more so very wet skimmate I'm getting.

My live stock; (2 times feeding with pellets and flakes)
1xmedium Foxface rabbitfish
1xmedium Blue hippo tang
1xM-L Yellow Tang
3x firefish
1x yellow wrasse
5x chromis
1x ruby red dragonet
2x medium percula clowns
2x cleaner shrimp
6x conch snail

Return pump : 2000 lph
Using also filter socks (changing every week)
2x vortech Mp40 %30 reef crest mode
Phosban reactor /GFO/Carbon mixed
SG: 1,025

Any recommendations?
Your skimmer is way oversized and will not produce consistently on your sized system. You need to base your skimmer choice on display volume and not total system volume. You 180 skimmer will produce skimmate for a couple days and then slow down for a week and repeat the process once the organics build up enough to generate a foam head.. In order for that 180 skimmer to be remotely consistent on your system, you will need to run the skimmer really wet to get any kind of consistency out of it but expect to have light "tea" colored skimmate and not dark skimmate. That said, if your wedge is 70% closed, you need to increase the sump level so you don't have to close it that much. I would raise the sump level 1/2" more and open the wedge a bit more so it's not closed as much. The I higher than normal sump depth will be needed to keep that skimmer producing consistently on your size display.

Unread 02/23/2016, 02:32 AM   #163
hedehodo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Your skimmer is way oversized and will not produce consistently on your sized system. You need to base your skimmer choice on display volume and not total system volume. You 180 skimmer will produce skimmate for a couple days and then slow down for a week and repeat the process once the organics build up enough to generate a foam head.. In order for that 180 skimmer to be remotely consistent on your system, you will need to run the skimmer really wet to get any kind of consistency out of it but expect to have light "tea" colored skimmate and not dark skimmate. That said, if your wedge is 70% closed, you need to increase the sump level so you don't have to close it that much. I would raise the sump level 1/2" more and open the wedge a bit more so it's not closed as much. The I higher than normal sump depth will be needed to keep that skimmer producing consistently on your size display.
Which skimmer do you recommend for this tank? Is dc180 w/rd3 is still oversized or mini 160 or dc150.

Unread 02/23/2016, 09:06 AM   #164
biecacka
Registered Member

I would guess the DC150 would be your best bet. I'm sure Slief will hop in an give expert advice but I think the 150 would work great on that tank. These skimmers don't need oversized at all! They are work horses.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 10:59 AM   #165
hedehodo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
I would guess the DC150 would be your best bet. I'm sure Slief will hop in an give expert advice but I think the 150 would work great on that tank. These skimmers don't need oversized at all! They are work horses.

Corey
Yeah that's what I am doing wrong with oversized skimmer. I found a second hand dc150 maybe I can buy it. But i will setup a new tank in a year or two which will be (~160Gal total volume inc. sump) double the size of my tank(80gal) . If I put dc150 to new tank it will be enough or I have to upgrade to dc180wRD3? I dont want to pay a fortune every year

Unread 02/23/2016, 11:44 AM   #166
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Which skimmer do you recommend for this tank? Is dc180 w/rd3 is still oversized or mini 160 or dc150.
What is your display volume? If you display volume is under 80 gallons, then the Double Cone 180 will be too large. I like the double cone 180 better due to the RD3 pump but it would be oversized and you would need to run it really wet to keep it consistent. Size wise, the Double Cone 150 would be a better choice and more consistent once you get it tuned properly. The Double Cone 150 uses an adjustable volute that you turn to get the skimmer set correctly. It takes more time to fine tune and get it performing well. It's more sensitive to water level in the sump as well.

Unread 02/23/2016, 12:09 PM   #167
hedehodo
Registered Member

Quote:
What is your display volume? If you display volume is under 80 gallons, then the Double Cone 180 will be too large. I like the double cone 180 better due to the RD3 pump but it would be oversized and you would need to run it really wet to keep it consistent. Size wise, the Double Cone 150 would be a better choice and more consistent once you get it tuned properly. The Double Cone 150 uses an adjustable volute that you turn to get the skimmer set correctly. It takes more time to fine tune and get it performing well. It's more sensitive to water level in the sump as well.
My DT is 70gal brut or I can say 60gal net water volume. My sump level is very consistent but I heard so much about overflowing dc150. If I need to afraid about overflows of dc150 I can go to mini 160 route. I ask 180 w rd3 because I want to change my DT in a year or two to 120Gal net volume.

Unread 02/23/2016, 12:40 PM   #168
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
My DT is 70gal brut or I can say 60gal net water volume. My sump level is very consistent but I heard so much about overflowing dc150. If I need to afraid about overflows of dc150 I can go to mini 160 route. I ask 180 w rd3 because I want to change my DT in a year or two to 120Gal net volume.
The 180 would be much better suited for the 120 but that is a year or two down the line. The 150's can be sensitive and like I said, they are more difficult to tune but once you get them set, they are pretty solid skimmers. The mini 160 is also a good skimmer that would be well suited to your size tank. It isn't as adjustable like the Double Cone 150 which has the adjustable volute. Most people that have issues with them double cone 150's overflowing haven't found the sweet spot with their volute adjustment and sump level. Once you find that sweet spot for the volute and the sump level that works for your setup, they are very stable and solid skimmers. Generally the best volute adjustment for the double cone 150 is between 3 & 4.5 full turns out on the volute from fully closed and a sump level between 6 & 7".

Unread 02/24/2016, 11:14 AM   #169
hedehodo
Registered Member

Quote:
The 180 would be much better suited for the 120 but that is a year or two down the line. The 150's can be sensitive and like I said, they are more difficult to tune but once you get them set, they are pretty solid skimmers. The mini 160 is also a good skimmer that would be well suited to your size tank. It isn't as adjustable like the Double Cone 150 which has the adjustable volute. Most people that have issues with them double cone 150's overflowing haven't found the sweet spot with their volute adjustment and sump level. Once you find that sweet spot for the volute and the sump level that works for your setup, they are very stable and solid skimmers. Generally the best volute adjustment for the double cone 150 is between 3 & 4.5 full turns out on the volute from fully closed and a sump level between 6 & 7".
Thanks your fast replies slief. Today i found and buy a second hand dc150. Its like brand new Owner told me that he is running this skimmer in 8" sump depth with 3 nozzle turns. Should i start from 7" or below?

Unread 02/24/2016, 11:23 AM   #170
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks your fast replies slief. Today i found and buy a second hand dc150. Its like brand new Owner told me that he is running this skimmer in 8" sump depth with 3 nozzle turns. Should i start from 7" or below?
Try it there and see how it works. Every tank is different. Thinks like salinity, amount of fish waste, feeding, dissolved oxygen all have an impact on the skimmer so you will need to fine tune and see what works best.

Unread 02/29/2016, 09:56 AM   #171
hedehodo
Registered Member

Quote:
Try it there and see how it works. Every tank is different. Thinks like salinity, amount of fish waste, feeding, dissolved oxygen all have an impact on the skimmer so you will need to fine tune and see what works best.
I m running skimmer in 8" sump depth, 2.5 turned nozzle with fully open vedge pipe. Now its producing light yellow skimmate. I tried to open the nozzle to 3 turns but it's giving more wet skimmate. Overall I m very impressed the skimmer. it's very quiter than my old mini180.

Do you reccomend me to raise skimmer a little bit to 7.5" (19cm) or 7"?

Unread 02/29/2016, 10:17 AM   #172
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I m running skimmer in 8" sump depth, 2.5 turned nozzle with fully open vedge pipe. Now its producing light yellow skimmate. I tried to open the nozzle to 3 turns but it's giving more wet skimmate. Overall I m very impressed the skimmer. it's very quiter than my old mini180.

Do you reccomend me to raise skimmer a little bit to 7.5" (19cm) or 7"?
I would try raising the skimmer 1/4" or lower the sump level 1/4" which should give you drier skim and darker skimmate. You don't want to raise it too much at a time as a little bit can make a big difference.

Unread 03/02/2016, 10:21 AM   #173
reefid
Registered Member

I have increased my water level to around 10" and wedge pipe is fully open, almost 24hrs it run on 10" depth. That is how the skimmer foaming like. Will have to wait my friend to make an acrylic stand . Skimmer will trial run on 9" depth as soon as I got the stand.

Thanks

Hendrik

reefid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 10:45 AM   #174
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefid View Post

I have increased my water level to around 10" and wedge pipe is fully open, almost 24hrs it run on 10" depth. That is how the skimmer foaming like. Will have to wait my friend to make an acrylic stand . Skimmer will trial run on 9" depth as soon as I got the stand.

Thanks

Hendrik
That's not too bad. Obviously wet but given the light load relative to the skimmer size, it's expectable and acceptable. 9" will allow a bit more control via the wedge pipe and will keep the skimmer from being as sensitive to overflows like it would be at 10". Just keep an eye on it.

Unread 03/02/2016, 12:42 PM   #175
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefid View Post
Will have to wait my friend to make an acrylic stand . Skimmer will trial run on 9" depth as soon as I got the stand.
Hendrik,

If you're on Facebook, check out the skimmer stand I've recently built... This is NOT a Royal Exclusiv product...
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/844772218979484/

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450

Last edited by ReefClownMIA; 03/02/2016 at 12:51 PM.
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote