Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2020, 09:06 PM   #1
beauT07
Registered Member

Clowns died, Corals were open and then closed

Hi reefers,

I started a BioCube 32 and it is going on about a month right now. I have live sand, Salt water from my LFS, and live rock from my other tank that I have. I am running carbon, filter floss, a small sponge, and have some biological filter cubes in the back. I had originally added corals to this tank from my previous tank that I had to work on and they were thriving. Within a day everything was open, enjoying the flow and light, it was perfect and they were great for about 2 weeks. I then decided to add 10 hermit crabs and 2 Clownfish. the 10 hermit crabs have been doing a fantastic job cleaning up my algae around the tank and have been thriving. 2 Clownfish died though within 3 days of being in the tank. 1 died on day 3 and then the other beginning of day 4 of being in the tank. 2 days after that half of my corals closed up. About 3 days after everything closed up (today) I checked my parameters and everything looks to be in order. Below is my water paramters and my livestock that is open and closed

Livestock:
10 hermits
1 Goby
Leather Toadstool (open)
2 Bi colored hammers (closed)
1 neon hammer (open)
1 Torch coral (closed)
1 Brain coral (open)

pH- 8.0-8.2
Ammonia- 0 -0.25 ppm (closer to 0)
Salinity - 1.025 (refractometer and hydrometer)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0-0.25 (closer to 0)
Calcium- 470-500
Phosphate - 0.25

beauT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2020, 11:17 PM   #2
Zionas
Registered Member

Can you give us an exact ammonia reading?

“Closer to 0” is not good enough. It has to be zero.

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed corals, corals, parameters, reef, water