Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2016, 04:42 PM   #76
ken1977
Registered Member

Do you have the lid to the tank? It's odd that they are jumping out like that.. If parameters are checking out the only thing I can think is salinity spike.

ken1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2016, 09:56 PM   #77
Babydaull
Registered Member

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedodge View Post
How's your water parameters?
Immediately after the death I had the full test done everything checked out. like by everything I mean everything. I'm so confused. does this look like a case of brook possibly?

Babydaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2016, 10:00 PM   #78
Babydaull
Registered Member

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1977 View Post
Do you have the lid to the tank? It's odd that they are jumping out like that.. If parameters are checking out the only thing I can think is salinity spike.
Yes I have the lid that comes with the tank! The first one jumped out the second one died in the tank. with all my parameters checking out to be good do you think this could be a case of brook?

Unread 06/19/2016, 10:01 PM   #79
Babydaull
Registered Member

Ken

Quote:

I had them check salinity, it was at 1.024 that's where its been for the past like 3 weeks

Unread 06/20/2016, 02:29 AM   #80
ken1977
Registered Member

Man... I don't know could just be luck of the draw or one of your shrimp could be scarring the heck out of them to the point of death, it's like the Conjouring in there?

Unread 06/22/2016, 11:22 AM   #81
Babydaull
Registered Member

Water

I will be preforming a 2.5 gallon water change tonight. I am going to LFS on Friday too trade out my leather frag and hopefully get something more cool. continue with questions and opinions. thanks guys!

Unread 06/23/2016, 12:28 PM   #82
Babydaull
Registered Member

Fish problems

Has anyone ever had a problematic chromis? I have had a chromis in my tank from the start for cycling. All of my invertebrates are doing fine but I am still trying to figure out why my first clownfish jumped out of my tank (with a lid on) and why my other one died in a matter of 45 minutes after it had been in the tank for 4-5 days and eating. Any one have any knowledge on this?

Unread 06/23/2016, 01:24 PM   #83
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Chromis are very aggressive, despite seeming like a friendly community fish. It's actually misinterpreted because it is small, and because they school together in home tanks. The reality is that schooling isn't a natural behavior, in the wild they sit in a coral head all day long. When in an aquarium that they don't have cover in, they stay together in a tight group in the water column, and because they're so agitated, they are often much more aggressive than when they can relax, and will chase other tankmates out of the tank, particularly at night to fish similar in size to them.

That's why so often people with a school of chromis end up losing them one by one, usually by jumpers. It happened to me, and I was always curious why these peaceful fishes were jumping out of the tank.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 01:26 PM   #84
homer1475
Registered Member

I would hope you didn't cycle the tank with the fish in there? If you did, its possible that they have finally succumbed to ammonia toxicity.

I'm also going to assume your not QTing your fish? If your not it could be any number of things. From flukes to ich to brook. There is a reason we advocate QTing anything wet before it goes into the display.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 01:53 PM   #85
ken1977
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydaull View Post
Has anyone ever had a problematic chromis? I have had a chromis in my tank from the start for cycling. All of my invertebrates are doing fine but I am still trying to figure out why my first clownfish jumped out of my tank (with a lid on) and why my other one died in a matter of 45 minutes after it had been in the tank for 4-5 days and eating. Any one have any knowledge on this?
Some clowns are also very excited and swim through tank frantically at fast speeds and up and down the corners. Could be this was the case for the carpet surfer. The last one is mystery, water temperatures during the day or night could also affect them. Get a few more chromis and let them school before you start spending money on a nice clown. Sucks man that's money thrown away I would just hold off on any $$$ fish purchases and see if anything else in tank doesn't make it.

Unread 06/23/2016, 02:22 PM   #86
Babydaull
Registered Member

Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I would hope you didn't cycle the tank with the fish in there? If you did, its possible that they have finally succumbed to ammonia toxicity.

I'm also going to assume your not QTing your fish? If your not it could be any number of things. From flukes to ich to brook. There is a reason we advocate QTing anything wet before it goes into the display.
This is my first rodeo so I did use just the chromis for cycling.(later I read that this isn't the best way to cycle, lesson learned.) I was told that my cycle was complete after a water test by LFS. so five weeks later I got my first clownfish. The first clownfish went carpet surfing. I have a lid for my tank, but it was able to squeeze through gap. I now have all the gaps blocked and it is impossible for fish to jump out. My second one is with the weird story too where it was swimming fine and eating fine. I had it for five days and then in a matter of 45 minutes it died. I am thinking more and more that I might have a devil chromis haha. I should look into getting a QT tank

Unread 06/23/2016, 02:35 PM   #87
Babydaull
Registered Member

Reefwreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Chromis are very aggressive, despite seeming like a friendly community fish. It's actually misinterpreted because it is small, and because they school together in home tanks. The reality is that schooling isn't a natural behavior, in the wild they sit in a coral head all day long. When in an aquarium that they don't have cover in, they stay together in a tight group in the water column, and because they're so agitated, they are often much more aggressive than when they can relax, and will chase other tankmates out of the tank, particularly at night to fish similar in size to them.

That's why so often people with a school of chromis end up losing them one by one, usually by jumpers. It happened to me, and I was always curious why these peaceful fishes were jumping out of the tank.

Wow, you have so much information. I hope I can know this much one day haha. The first fish death happened at 3am so that might of been the chromis. The second fish death happened in the morning but this time I had blocked off my gaps in my lid. so its possible the second clownfish died from stress of being attacked.

Unread 06/23/2016, 02:38 PM   #88
Babydaull
Registered Member

Ken

Quote:
Some clowns are also very excited and swim through tank frantically at fast speeds and up and down the corners. Could be this was the case for the carpet surfer. The last one is mystery, water temperatures during the day or night could also affect them. Get a few more chromis and let them school before you start spending money on a nice clown. Sucks man that's money thrown away I would just hold off on any $$$ fish purchases and see if anything else in tank doesn't make it.

Thank you for the knowledge. I am pretty sure I am just going to give my chromis to LFS for a credit. For four weeks my water parameters have been good. So I might try a cheap clownfish with out a chromis and see how it goes because I have a bubble tip anemone I would like to see be hosted.

Unread 06/23/2016, 02:39 PM   #89
Babydaull
Registered Member

Thanks you for the quick replies guys!

Unread 06/24/2016, 12:56 AM   #90
TprMoore
Moved On

Sorry to hear about your clowns, that orange one was gorgeous. Better luck with the next ones! Unfortunately, sometimes it just seems like a guessing game at points.

TprMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2016, 05:30 PM   #91
Babydaull
Registered Member

Last attempt

After reading a bunch of comments, I finally got rid of my chromis. I am convinced that the chromis was the devil. So I took back the chromis and the leather coral to the LFS and bought pair of ocellaris clownfish. This is my last shot with clownfish haha. I also got my water tested and everything check out on spot. I bought them as juveniles and I hope they pair together. I also bought a little frag of a mushroom coral. I wedged it in the rocks pretty tightly, I waited 30 minutes and turned back on the pumps. I came back in an hour later and the frag was gone. so hopefully it pops up somewhere.

Unread 06/25/2016, 06:50 PM   #92
joedodge
Registered Member

Tanks looking great man! Hope the new clowns do well

joedodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2016, 08:31 PM   #93
ken1977
Registered Member

Quote:

After reading a bunch of comments, I finally got rid of my chromis. I am convinced that the chromis was the devil. So I took back the chromis and the leather coral to the LFS and bought pair of ocellaris clownfish. This is my last shot with clownfish haha. I also got my water tested and everything check out on spot. I bought them as juveniles and I hope they pair together. I also bought a little frag of a mushroom coral. I wedged it in the rocks pretty tightly, I waited 30 minutes and turned back on the pumps. I came back in an hour later and the frag was gone. so hopefully it pops up somewhere.
They look great! These ones will make it, I have a feeling about them...

Unread 06/26/2016, 08:24 AM   #94
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
They look great! These ones will make it, I have a feeling about them...
I have a good feeling as well! It took 30 minutes to catch that dang chromis. hopefully with him gone there is a new atmosphere in my tank. A pro-clown atmosphere

Unread 06/26/2016, 08:28 AM   #95
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedodge View Post
Tanks looking great man! Hope the new clowns do well
same here! you have two clowns right?

Unread 06/26/2016, 08:31 AM   #96
Babydaull
Registered Member

A rare picture, both of my Nassarius snails above the sand bed! these snails do work! They are everywhere in the sand bed, probably the best workers in my CUC.

Unread 06/26/2016, 08:42 AM   #97
Babydaull
Registered Member

Opinions

There is a lot of particles in my water. Over the weeks, the particles have increased.
1.) The filter socks in the tank do there job but sometimes the water missing the filter sock either in the front or overflowing. Is this the reason for my particles?

2.) I also do know that I need to replace my filter socks soon. My sand bed is not fine sand either, check out pictures in previous posts to see substrate size.

3.) lastly I have a 240 gph hydor power head and a 425 gph hydor power head, could this be my reason for some much particle stuff. Maybe there is too much water flow in my tank? If so, would taking out the 425 gph hydor power head and replacing it with a second 240 gph power head work? I could keep the 425 gph for mixing salt!

Unread 06/26/2016, 08:44 AM   #98
Babydaull
Registered Member

Upgrades

I am still wanting to upgrade my filter socks to the custom caddy baskets, if someone with a nuvo hasn't seen these, check out a video its awesome.

Unread 06/26/2016, 09:41 AM   #99
joedodge
Registered Member

Quote:
same here! you have two clowns right?

Yes I do two tiny lil ones the local store had. Love them there like lil puppy's lol

joedodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2016, 03:37 PM   #100
ken1977
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a good feeling as well! It took 30 minutes to catch that dang chromis. hopefully with him gone there is a new atmosphere in my tank. A pro-clown atmosphere
I want to do the same all clown fish.

Tags
20 gallon, innovative marine, nano, nuvo fusion, reef tank