Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2012, 11:59 AM   #1
sondaar
Registered Member

Neomeris Annulata

Wanting to see if I can get a chemist to chime in on how to clean these off of my rock.

Thanks

sondaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 12:26 PM   #2
brandon429
Registered Member.

A non chemist option:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...&#entry3863183

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 12:40 PM   #3
sondaar
Registered Member

Thanks Brandon so just a 50/50 peroxide/SW dip on all the the rocks?

Unread 05/06/2012, 03:58 PM   #4
brandon429
Registered Member.

Its better if you can take the rocks out and spray the neomeris with a super fine mister of peroxide, this minimizes non target contact and it will stick to the neo but also simply dripping peroxide onto them straight 3% will work

Taking a simple group of rocks out, treating externally by one of these methods, then rinsing and reinstalling is safe for all the live rock corals because you carefully apply it only where needed...

Whole rock dipping, where all surfaces including corals and the target are contacted, and any type of treatment where the inside of the tank has peroxide contact, need to plan out the strategy first considering the species stocked, some are known tolerant/intolerant they just need to be planned first

But if you can externally treat, go right ahead you will love it

Take good before and after pics I will add them to our threads! Neomeris is rapidly catching on as an invader...

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 05:03 PM   #5
sondaar
Registered Member

Thanks again Brandon! I had my tank up and running for 3 years with little to no problems then had a power outage. Tank crashed! I lost many softball size sps corals along with a clown fish, yellow tang, fox face, diamond golby, and 3 chromis. The only survivor was my female clown. All coral was bought from small frags and the fish were with me from the start. A few of the lps corals survived here are some pictures

left side

right side

You can see where the Halimeda is growing on the right side of tank is where the neomeris was at before the crash. Both of these algaes came on the live rock and was controlable with water changes before. But after my crash and cleaning the nastiness that followed it has spread every where. I pulled off most all the dead sps but there is also a pink birdsnest on the right side i was hoping to save but is gone also I believe. I was planning on removing and bleaching all the live rock to kill both the halimeda and neoimeris. Do you think the peroxide will also kill off the halimeda? It has also spred a little and was a real pain to keep under control before.

Thanks
Mike

Unread 05/06/2012, 05:58 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd probably just use bleach. It's likely to be cheaper and at least as effective.

Unread 05/06/2012, 06:14 PM   #7
sondaar
Registered Member

Ok on the bleach bath should I run a power head and say 1-10 bleach/rodi water?

Unread 05/06/2012, 08:30 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

That sounds reasonable to me. I'd do this outside, if at all possible, and you probably only need a small powerhead, if any at all.