Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/20/2012, 10:19 AM   #201
Jakef150
Registered Member

$250 ???? thats alot to upgrade....sheesh.

Last year i bought it as used for 400 (w/ controller) and now $250 upgrade ? argh!!

Maybe sell it used and buy me new Vega

Thanks!
Jake

Old 07/20/2012, 10:25 AM   #202
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakef150 View Post

Last year i bought it as used for 400 (w/ controller) and now $250 upgrade ? argh!!

Thanks!
Jake
And then in a year or so when they announce the next big thing (hype) you can pay even more money for it. It kind of negates any savings that you got on electricity by going to LED's. The real winner in this will be the retailers, not the consumers.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2012, 12:04 PM   #203
Jaysreefworld
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
And then in a year or so when they announce the next big thing (hype) you can pay even more money for it. It kind of negates any savings that you got on electricity by going to LED's. The real winner in this will be the retailers, not the consumers.
So true

Jaysreefworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2012, 12:10 PM   #204
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakef150 View Post

Thanks!
Jake
Or just wait until someone doesn't like their new Vega, then buy it used at a discount when they sell it on the RC For Sale Forum, and just sell your Sol.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2012, 12:16 PM   #205
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
You mean the manufacturer, I wish the retailer was the real winner!

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2012, 12:20 PM   #206
Felixc395
Registered Member

Quote:
Im hoping that though that the Vega Color will produce results that will work for the long run, and won't need to be upgraded further neccesarily. Or at least for quite some time.

Felixc395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2012, 11:32 PM   #207
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Quote:
I don't know who else loves their electricity bill, but I sure do. With these LEDS running; this is the first tank ever that I don't even notice a change to my bill. With this tank in full operation, roughly, my electric bill is around $145 in the summer months and around $90 in the cooler months. That's a big difference between the $300-$600 bill I was getting to run 3 - 400Watt metal halides, 2 - Blueline HD50 pumps, 1/3HP chiller and so on.....

BTW, that $145 reflects that I also keep my apartment at a cool 70-72 degrees.

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 12:07 AM   #208
nanoreefbro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiD View Post
I don't know who else loves their electricity bill, but I sure do. With these LEDS running; this is the first tank ever that I don't even notice a change to my bill. With this tank in full operation, roughly, my electric bill is around $145 in the summer months and around $90 in the cooler months. That's a big difference between the $300-$600 bill I was getting to run 3 - 400Watt metal halides, 2 - Blueline HD50 pumps, 1/3HP chiller and so on.....

BTW, that $145 reflects that I also keep my apartment at a cool 70-72 degrees.
+1... My chiller hasn't come on once since I switched over to LED's...

nanoreefbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 01:51 AM   #209
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefbro View Post
+1... My chiller hasn't come on once since I switched over to LED's...
My chiller has never come on either... but my heater does every night.

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 01:54 AM   #210
Doahh
Registered Member

$250 is not too much when you consider you're getting pretty much completely new innards... You could sell your SOL for $250 and put that towards a new vega and spend $250 out of pocket.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Custom SW Reef
Doahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 08:17 AM   #211
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

I think the temperature issue is all too often overlooked. I keep my tank in my bedroom, and I was tired of not getting sleep because the room was too hot. This made me upgrade to AI SOls two years ago and I sleep like a baby ever since.....the room is so much cooler.

Back on topic: is anyone thinking of running a mixed SOL Blue with Vega color system?

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 09:17 AM   #212
Luck_of_the_Dra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefTeacher View Post

Back on topic: is anyone thinking of running a mixed SOL Blue with Vega color system?
I've got two blues over a 48x30 tank now. I was thinking of adding one Vega in the center and spreading out the blues.

Old 07/21/2012, 09:39 AM   #213
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

Luck,
what controller are you thinking of using for the mixed configuration?

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2012, 12:41 AM   #214
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

just taggn

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 12:23 PM   #215
Reefer94
Registered Member

Well it's August 2012 and not a peep from AI about a firm date. Who thinks it gets pushed again? Lol...

If anyone who has inside info can chime in that would be swell Mostly just tagging...

Reefer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 05:23 PM   #216
Luck_of_the_Dra
Registered Member

Quote:
Luck,
what controller are you thinking of using for the mixed configuration?
I'm planning on two controllers for now. I like redundant systems.

Old 08/06/2012, 06:30 PM   #217
EthanKyle
Registered Member

Tick Tock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer94 View Post
Well it's August 2012 and not a peep from AI about a firm date. Who thinks it gets pushed again? Lol...

If anyone who has inside info can chime in that would be swell Mostly just tagging...
The waiting game! I tried contacting them for an ETA with no luck. I'll just go with the Sol Blues for now. Just need one more anyway. I'll spend my money on something else.

EthanKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 09:52 PM   #218
Freeskier98
Registered Member

I am giving them till the 15th for an update...or I am pulling the trigger on a radion.

They have all these pictures and videos of the vega being hung on an EXT rail etc, but why not release a color/lighting comparison video of the vega standard vs vega color? Or Vega vs SOL, or Vega vs Radion? I wonder if they have even started the large scale production yet...

Freeskier98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 10:00 PM   #219
Led Bizkit
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the temperature issue is all too often overlooked. I keep my tank in my bedroom, and I was tired of not getting sleep because the room was too hot. This made me upgrade to AI SOls two years ago and I sleep like a baby ever since.....the room is so much cooler.

I have two blue SOLs now and buying two Vegas but not sure if I will keep the mix or upgrade or what. I will setup all four at once for a short period.

Led Bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 01:18 AM   #220
jtrim123
Registered Member

Wish something would be said. I have only light on one side of my reef. Halide is done for and I dont want to waste money on something for a week or so. Come on show some respect for people who pay you money. At least a reason as to why!

jtrim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 03:01 PM   #221
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

I spoke with AI just a couple of days ago and everything is still going as planned. They are still on track for shipping by the end of this month they said, which is what the plan has been all along - mid to end of August. This was straight from Chris himself.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 07:29 PM   #222
jtrim123
Registered Member

I thought the original plan was 1 year ago? The first time anything was said about August was a little over a month ago.

From Facebook Page back in February

AquaIllumination Dan/Lucian, The Vega was once again debuted as a prototype as of 9/9/11, keyword being prototype. We anticipated that the release of the product was going to be in the fourth quarter, however, did not follow through with this. I can assure you that the production team has nothing to do with the release delay. We hope that the customers will wait a bit longer for the release as we appreciate their patience as we further this along...thank you for your comments

So at that point a bit longer was 6 months? Im not knocking there products, but the false hopes that this company gives, is a bit crazy! Ive worked in retail for many years, and solid companies are able to give delivery dates on products and usually can stick by them. There is no possible reason that you can be 1 month from shipping and not have an exact date! At this point if there is a reason for it, they should be letting the consumer know.

Old 08/08/2012, 08:57 PM   #223
chadfarmer
Premium Member

are u forgeting macna to show it off

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 09:00 PM   #224
jtrim123
Registered Member

That's what I meant by the original plan of 1 year ago.

Old 08/08/2012, 10:34 PM   #225
cbonito
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong View Post
The tech I talked to a few weeks ago said they are aiming to price the upgrade the same as the upgrade from 1st to 2nd generation Sols, so that was $250 hopefully they can do that. I really think if they just added a back button the controller would actually be pretty good, the single largest problem I have is when you double click and go past the setting you wanted then you have to start all over, where a back button would solve that.
A couple times, I completely screwed up timers that way and it happened fast enough that I didnt notice. But I discovered if you simply wait for the parameter to flash, it's safe to push the knob to select it without it messing up. The knob is definitely touchy and doesnt react in a smooth linear fashion. It seems to bounce.

I might buy the new controller, but in all honesty I dont plan on spending much time getting lost in the forest with a controller.

Here's a question for anyone...

Who is just running the blues without any whites? I know some think you absolutely need whites, but I dont entirely believe that.

Current Tank Info: 60ish gallon (48x24x12h) reef
cbonito is offline   Reply With Quote