Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2011, 03:12 PM   #1
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

mandarin has chunk of white skin on side

i just noticed it last night. there is a huge white spot below its left gill. Today it looks like the skin is falling off and there is a chunk just hanging there. Is this normal. I just got the fish about 3 days ago. its been swimming all over the tank eating stuff all over my rocks so it seems happy. I havnt been able to get a pic of it yet since its always in the rocks but i will try to get one. If anyone has any advice or can help please do because i dont want to loose this beautiful fish.
this is as good of a pic as i can get right now its hard because he is always in the rocks and in the back of the tank. you can see the white spot on its side. ill try to get a better one later.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max NANO 20gal
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 05:26 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

The picture is indeterminant. If he or she is swimming around hunting, that is a good sign. The bad news is perhaps the emerald crab.

Unread 07/31/2011, 07:59 PM   #3
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

i thought the same thing. You think i should remove the emerald crab? do mandarin sleep at night?

Unread 07/31/2011, 08:17 PM   #4
b0bab0ey
Moved On

It's def not normal but even if it is a disease, IME Mandarins don't handle being medicated well. I know they are intolerant of anything copper based. Not much you can do except wait and see. As snorvich pointed out, keep a close eye on that emerald crab or something else which might be attacking your Mandarin.

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Let the fish alone. It's possible it was burned by a salt infall. OR the crab. DOn't attempt to medicate. One thing it isn't is ich or a parasite, and that's the only thing copper is good for---copper would kill the fish.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 08:48 PM   #6
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Ok thanks guys i got some good pics of it. I am currently trying to catch the crab not going to take any chances.
here are the pics it has some kind of a string slime hanging from it and the sand seems to be sticking to it. take a look and see what you think. Im not going to treat at all.

Unread 08/01/2011, 08:34 AM   #7
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Update this morning. Seems to be better still swimming all over and looks like the white has gone down and it looks like the little lip of skin is growing back out.

Unread 08/01/2011, 02:08 PM   #8
snorvich
Team RC member

In my opinion, based on verbal description, it is an attack from the emerald crab or something equivalent. I personally NEVER trust crabs.