Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2006, 12:35 PM   #1
bjonesjr1
Premium Member

Question Is Lighting Sufficent Enough For Corals, & Anemones ???

Currently I own a Power Compact, fan cooled light above my 55 gallon tank with (1) daylight bulb at 10,000k and (1) actnic bulb for the night also has moon lights on it which are really cool when I turn the Light out at night. Wanted to know what kind of coral's & anemone's I can put in my tank safely with the light that I currently have???

bjonesjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 12:44 PM   #2
BurntOutReefer
Registered Member

whats the wattage? You can keep softies (leathers/shrooms, etc)..maybe some polpys...depends on wattage....anemones...with out knowing wattage... not too many choices

BurntOutReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 12:55 PM   #3
bjonesjr1
Premium Member

96 watts on both bulbs

Unread 03/02/2006, 02:09 PM   #4
PiNaPLeX
Registered Member

you are on the lower end of lighting with that setup on your tank. For a reef tank, you should probably think of more light. Even with softies, that amount of light is fairly low. As far as how many corals you'll be able to keep, that depends on your system (skimmer, LR, filtration) as much as lighting. And you should probably forget about the anemone (I'm not saying that it can't be done, it's just not a good idea). IMO, keep your corals in the upper portion of your tank.

If you ever decide to upgrade, at the very least, you should try and look at a 4x96w PC, or even better look at some 4x54w T-5 setups, or a 2x (150-175)watt MH setup.

- If fate really exsists, then it HATES my guts!

Current Tank Info: 29g glass tank, Penguin 330 filter, AquaC Remora Skimmer, 2x65w PowerCompacts (10k & actinic), 90g RR AGA tank /w Megaflow(in progress), 40g Sump/Fuge, 2 x Seio 1500, Dolphin 800, 2x250W MH (XM 10k), 2x54W T5 (Actinic Plus + True Actinic)
PiNaPLeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 02:30 PM   #5
szwab
RC Mod

you would be limited as to what corals as mentioned you could do most softies some LPS in the upper portion of the tank. I would not reccomend anemones as they would need stronger lighting.

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 03:24 PM   #6
bjonesjr1
Premium Member

Correction I currently own a CustomSeaLife Moon Light Fixtures with 2x96w (1) 10,000K Premium-Daylight & (1) Ultra-Actinic, now that I have purchased this fixture could I take out the Ultra-Actinic bulb and put in another Premium-Daylight bulb or do I need the Actinic Bulb for night time simulation for the corals ???

Unread 03/02/2006, 09:05 PM   #7
szwab
RC Mod

you could that would help a bit for par but IMO still wouldn't be enough. The ultra actinic on at night seems to be a lot of light for a moon effect. You don't need the actinic for nighttime stimulation. It may help for spawning etc. but I don't think there has been solid proof that it helps.

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 09:20 PM   #8
bjonesjr1
Premium Member

I usauly have both the lights on starting in the afternoon tell I go to bed usually around 10pm. It gives more of a blue affect I think. When just the daylight bulb is on it's alittle dull looking. So I turn both of them on and I notice that more feather duster's come out of the rocks, plus the cooling fan comes on when I have the actinic light on so with both of them on I get a Nice color and cool air flowing threw the light, but I found some bulbs on

http://www.seaquestmarine.com/cslrp.html

it is called the (SmartLamp 10K/Actinic Bulb) here's a quote from the website,
"The Smart Lamp is a 10,000K Premium Daylight and Ultra-Actinic lamp side by side. The Premium-Daylight PowerCompact bulbs produce a crisp white light, wile the Ultra-Actinic emits a blue light. Available wattages include: 32w, 55w, 65w, 96w."

I think that would the best that I could do with the light fixture that I have without upgrading the whole thing...

Thanks for the input.

bobby
bjonesjr1

Unread 03/02/2006, 09:22 PM   #9
bjonesjr1
Premium Member

oh yea the fixture that I have has 3 LED's on it for the moonlight effect, I forgot to mention that.

bobby
bjonesjr1