Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Wine Country Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Steve Ruddy
Registered Member

Is an Emperor Angel reef safe?

I think this was a topic here awhile back but can't find it now. I started experimenting with Emperor Angles in reef aquariums about 7 years ago. Like most angels their behavior is not set in stone. They are definitely more of a risk than some pygmy angles that I wouldn't think twice about using. What has worked for me is purchasing a juvenile and feeding well. I currently have two, one about 7 years and the other about 1 year. Both are in soft coral tanks with clams. Neither touch anything. Some of the others I have tried liked brain corals and some LPS but none have touched SPS. I love them.

Current Tank Info: 70 Gallon NgTank System (Elos copy)
Steve Ruddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2008, 05:54 PM   #2
corndogg
Registered Member

Great picture! I've always loved these angels. I think thoughts are what most who have kept one had experienced... hit & miss as far as being reef safe, higher risk than most pygmy angels, more prone to the open brain type corals and some nip clam mantles.

I have seen pics of people with the in full blown with success. However as with any angel, the are plenty cases where a long term model citizen fish has developed a sudden taste for something kept in their reef tank.

I think it comes down to priority, luck and risk. I currently have a Red Sea Regal Angel (pygoplites diacanthus) and knew that they were known to like zoas. Low and behold, all my zoas are gone after a few months.

corndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2008, 06:20 PM   #3
TikiDan
Premium Member

I had a juvi for 2 months before it started nipping at my tubbs blues zoos.... Needless to say he went back to the fish store.

Current Tank Info: formerly a 120 gallon Planted Sea horse Tank. Click the house for the thread.
TikiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Steve Ruddy
Registered Member

I agree zoanthids are high on the list of things they might eat. If you are into them I wouldn't chance it. Glad you liked the photo Corndog! I'm getting a new camera soon and most likely will be able to get some even nicer shots.

Current Tank Info: 70 Gallon NgTank System (Elos copy)
Steve Ruddy is offline   Reply With Quote