Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2012, 02:00 PM   #201
pusanpa
Registered Member

You are about to achieve a great comeback!

pusanpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 08:54 PM   #202
daveonbass
Registered Member

Thanks I hope so. I just hope the new growth and color will be sustained. I want to start dragging and making room for more coral.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
daveonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 08:47 AM   #203
daveonbass
Registered Member

Things are really turning around. I had a spongodes that was almost totally white, now its almost got all its green back. My rainbow monti has gotten a LOT of its polyps to turn yellow again...now I'm just waiting on the blue base. The red cap that was fully bleached and growing brown algae has gotten ed growth again and the pale parts are finally getting the red back also. Growth is not amazing....but there is a little. Some frags have reacted better than others. Some are not happy with the high light, and others prefer it. But at least the water is better suited to all the corals in general.

I am most surprised at the irony of what seemed to work. More light, less dosing, less food, and am extra water change. The no3 is up, but it doesn't seem like a big issue. All the new growth is mostly white, and that's scary, but eventually the color shifts back to what it should be. Hopefully this is the start of more good things to come.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
Unread 02/25/2012, 12:06 PM   #204
franklypre
Registered Member

Don't worry about the trates they will stabalize, just keep doing what you are doing and get another WC ready. Right now yours looks about the same as mine, trying to kill this algae from the fish stick has taken it's toll. My tank didn't mind the melafix, nor the cyano remover, but it does not like GAC one bit. After 48 hours my tank could almost pass of as zeoish. I have not fed pappone in several days, but the algae is turing to dust. Oh and Im running 4 hr light cycles, I've never seen the dino that can cause acro to just die wherever it touches it. And it is only in the 58 which no longer has cyano, all the cyano is in the 40b. It'll take another week or so but I'll get it gone or fry all the coral trying, if none of this works I'll just turn the lights off for 3 days and be done with it. I am glad your tank is looking better though.

franklypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 05:03 PM   #205
daveonbass
Registered Member

I need LOWER no3, not just stable. I'm getting more water text for another big WC soon.

Sadly I think I need to move some stuff around. My large tubbs birdsnest is so big that today I finally hit it with the magnet while cleaning the glass. It's an exciting sad moment. I'm proud of how give its gotten, but sad that I have to do something with it. At the same time its salt in the wound that reminds me that none of the other corals have grown even half as much in the same time. :/

I am curious about GFO for my po4. My cyano is finally returning...it took a while, but none the less its back...so I still have nutrients to export.

I am looking forward to nextwave, mainly as a vacation, but also because after that I will finally be ordering more livestock. I hope I find some nice corals too.

Unread 02/26/2012, 11:43 AM   #206
daveonbass
Registered Member

hey frank what was the name of that purple monti you gave me...? I've had to move it cause it wasn't doing to hot where I placed it on the frag rack. It's much lower now.

I also hatched a bunch of BBS just for some fun food for a day or two. Just to keep things fresh in there. haha

Unread 02/26/2012, 03:21 PM   #207
franklypre
Registered Member

I have no idea what the name is just an encrusting purple monti, I still haven't moved mine to the main tank. What's it doing

Unread 02/26/2012, 03:33 PM   #208
daveonbass
Registered Member

No PE, and just looking dismal. It's maintained the color though. I hope it pulls through now that its lower. I fragged a piece of rainbow monti and made two more of the birdsnest that is out of control. Sadly I'm running out of room. It may soon be time for a dedicated frag tank.

On another note...my nem tank looks better now that I finished building the new sump. I just need the skimmer for it to export nutrients. Oh and my led ballast went up in flames...literally. I was home thankfully but the fire was still pretty big. Mich to big for my taste in the stand under a fish tank. O.o

Unread 02/26/2012, 07:46 PM   #209
franklypre
Registered Member

What kind of LEd was it, that's crazy. I'd call whoever it is and report that kinda stuff. Just toss the birdsnest in with the nem and take a bunch to a meeting. There are a few skimmers for sale in Dallas, what kind are you wanting?

Unread 02/27/2012, 12:40 AM   #210
daveonbass
Registered Member

I only have the one led fixture....never did love it...though when just the blues are on its nice. And the fixture is fine...it was the AC adapter that flamed up...not something they built. I'm gonna take it to next wave and see what they say.

And what meeting am I gonna take the birdsnest to? Do we have a new club on town? Haha. I don't know many people that want a plain ole birdsnest. Btw, Jason's that he got from me is still red/pink...not at all the color of mine, weird...I think his tank is under lit.

Also I can't keep any sps in the nem tank. It's just not up to PAR...literally.

As far as skimmers, I'm saving up for the SWC 120ppm cone that I built the sump to specificly hold. I haven't seen many used ones for sale...most people keep them.

Unread 02/27/2012, 11:41 AM   #211
franklypre
Registered Member

Pohnape will just about grow in the dark IME. There are a few of the cone skimmers that get sold on the nano forums occasionaly, You could easily get a NAC whatever off Ebay for cheap. They are about the same footprints I believe.

Unread 02/27/2012, 07:51 PM   #212
daveonbass
Registered Member

Yeah but I've never heard great things about those ebay ones. I gotta stick with what I have seen to be proven everytime. Besides, like I said, I designed it with that one in mind. And I guess its good that I never see them for sale cause it means that people like them and dont want to get rid of them very much.

Unread 02/28/2012, 07:41 PM   #213
daveonbass
Registered Member

bad news...my mp10 that has made all the difference in this tank is on the fritz. I hate to lose such a perfect piece of equipment, but the dry side will not stop whistling all of the sudden as it ramps up and down. I hope ecotech responds with good news.

Unread 02/29/2012, 12:46 AM   #214
franklypre
Registered Member

That really sucks, sorry to hear it. Go with a Sicce Voyager or two they have a 5 year warranty.

Unread 02/29/2012, 06:55 AM   #215
daveonbass
Registered Member

I took it apart and fixed it...good as new again. I don't want a big pump in my tank...you know that. I have to keep my display clean and minimal on the visual equipment...haha. ;P

Unread 02/29/2012, 10:54 AM   #216
franklypre
Registered Member

I love the look of a coraline encrusted pump.

Unread 03/01/2012, 12:30 AM   #217
daveonbass
Registered Member

Vomit.

Unread 03/03/2012, 02:00 PM   #218
franklypre
Registered Member

Hoping to see some new additions later tonight, that is if you still have the energy to post some. Hope you are having more fun than I am.

Unread 03/04/2012, 11:45 AM   #219
daveonbass
Registered Member

Well sorry I was too busy with the band to post till today. I got some beautiful acans. A nice clam. A meteor shower cyphastrea. A super bright green thing that I don't really know what it is but its color is amazing. A nice monti that reminds me of a jedi mindtrick. An amazing blue acro, hope it keeps its color. A reverse superman monti, I prefer calling it a spiderman.

And my favorite...I finally got a nice sized frag of a strawberry shortcake.

Unread 03/04/2012, 11:46 AM   #220
daveonbass
Registered Member

Well sorry I was too busy with the band to post till today. I got some beautiful acans. A nice clam. A meteor shower cyphastrea. A super bright green thing that I don't really know what it is but its color is amazing. A nice monti that reminds me of a jedi mindtrick. An amazing blue acro, hope it keeps its color. A reverse superman monti, I prefer calling it a spiderman.

And my favorite...I finally got a nice sized frag of a strawberry shortcake.

Unread 03/04/2012, 01:05 PM   #221
franklypre
Registered Member

Sounds like it was worth your while. Waiting on pics.

Unread 03/04/2012, 04:17 PM   #222
daveonbass
Registered Member

sorry for the double post...it was a weird phone thing.

anyways I'll post the pics here since the COLOR issue still applies. I want everyone else to see what the colors start as and where they may go to.

acan #1

acan #2

Spiderman Monti (my name) and something I think looks like Jedi Mind Trick (but I'm told it's not)

same two and a blue acro that is unknown...really pretty blue

Clam

Cyphastrea (sp?)

SSC (finally)

new pics of the RP (getting it's magenta back)

nice pic of an oldy but goody Idaho Grape

Unread 03/04/2012, 04:50 PM   #223
franklypre
Registered Member

Fourth pic down and to the left of the blue stag, what is that? Definately gonna need some of the monti, sweet acans. Looks like you did good, really glad to see the other corals are coloring up. Deja says I gotta get a "sweetcake" too,LMAO.

Unread 03/04/2012, 06:20 PM   #224
daveonbass
Registered Member

Man I wish it was a blue stag...but sadly I only saw one and it was more brown. The acro next to it has been there forever as just a brown stick. After all this new color qnd growth its been neat to see it turn purple and shoot out new growth with great PE. Once I can frag a piece I will for ya.

BTW, it took me forever to figure out what sweet cake is...haha.

The acans are so nice with all their colors...I'm glad I found some more.

Now I really want to get rid of the cyano....and get new fish. I'm thinking smaller anthias.

Unread 03/04/2012, 07:00 PM   #225
jimrawr
Registered Member

What do you think turned your tank around? I am fighting the same issues you had and have tried so many things to no avail.