Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2010, 06:35 PM   #1251
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Most seem to get results with Bryopsis bumping up the the mag level by 300 - 400 ppm.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2010, 08:55 PM   #1252
steevareno2002
Registered Member

OK, I'll try that after a few more doses. So a Mag of 1750 isn't too high?

steevareno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2010, 06:15 AM   #1253
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Other hobbyists have had their mag level that high without negative effects. I wouldn't raise your mag level by more than 100 ppm per day.

Unread 07/23/2010, 10:23 PM   #1254
steevareno2002
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, i'll def try that!

Unread 07/24/2010, 07:53 AM   #1255
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Your welcome & good luck with your pest.

Unread 07/27/2010, 10:18 AM   #1256
reefhead165
Registered Member.

i have been noticing some die off of some hair algae but i also have been noticing some cycano starting to take off. Is that normal?

reefhead165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2010, 12:31 PM   #1257
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

It's not uncommon for hobbyists to report cyano problems after using AF. Most likely is due to algae die-off from using AF. Removing dead algae, siphoning, water changes, running GAC will all help to remove excess waste products produced fro dieing algae.

Unread 08/04/2010, 07:51 PM   #1258
weese3
Registered Member

Well I decided to take the AF plunge today :-) I have been trying to pull and scrub as much of the GHA off my rocks as I can, but it would grow right back... Even with close to 350 scarlet leg hermit crabs, 40 Mexican Turbo snails and tons of other snails and crabs. I have a 280G all SPS display, 24G all LPS display and a 110G sump. I have a Hammerhead Gold running on my Closed loop on the 280G aswell as a pair of Tunze 6205's and 3 Koralia Nano's running in the 24G. I am running a Hammerhead gold wide open from the sump in the basement to the 280 1 floor above, so flow is not an issue :-) I run GFO, Carbon, Ozone and a Sulpher denitrator for water polishing, and an MRC-7 skimmer fed with a Hammerhead.. I dose for CA, MG, Alk, Kalk and Min-s, A-min and Organic all from Fauna Marin... I am usually gone on the road almost all week, so my fish get fed very little by my (disgruntled with the tank) wife and I may be guilty of overfeeding slightly on the weekends, but not too much :-) I am thinking the GHA is growing off PO4 and PO3 being leached out of my Totoka live rock because it doesn't grow anywhere else or on anything else....

My Params are:
Temp 78
PH 8.15
CA 430
MG 1430
Alk 7.7-8.1
Potassium 390-410
PO4 0.0
PO3 0.0

If i have forgotten anything else you want to know feel free to ask, and I will keep you all posted on how things work out for me :-)

Adam

weese3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2010, 09:45 PM   #1259
Brando457
Registered Member

Has anyone had any issues with Algaefix and their anemone? I used it in the past with success removing hair algae, but it seems to have come back.

I have an anemone in my tank and want to make sure it won't adversely affect it.

Brando457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 05:10 AM   #1260
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Several hobbyists including myself have dosed AF with anemonaes without problems.

Unread 08/07/2010, 07:36 AM   #1261
zaitmi
Registered Member

I have started dosing Alagaefix freshwater version in my marine due brown/green hair dusty algae from last 8 months. This will be my last try to keep live rocks in my tank otherwise i will sell them back to my LFS. Frustated of my brown dirty algaes.

Let see what comes up. I will keep posting here.

Unread 08/07/2010, 07:45 AM   #1262
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

zaitmi,

Thanks for sharing your experience with AF. Unfortunately AF does not work on all algae species, hopefully it works for yours.

To get the best results from AF, your phosphate should be below 0.03 ppm. It is best to remove as much of the algae as possible before you dose. Keep in mind that AF will brake down within 24 hrs, so cleaning or water changes should not be done during that period.

Good luck.

Unread 08/07/2010, 07:51 AM   #1263
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

One other thing, is that AF freshwater has been reported to be identical as far as content to the salt water version. I have not seen the label for the freshwater version. You should dose the AF freshwater version per the instructions for the salt water version if they are different. Perhaps you can confirm if both labels are the same?

This is the saltwater AF label:

"Benefits: AlgaeFix marine effectively controls these types of saltwater algae: Green algae (Cladaphora), "Red Loine" (Oscillatoria/Spirulina major), "Brown algae" (Cyclotela) in marine aquarium containing live corals, invertebrates and fish. When used in salt water will not harm snails, clams,scallops, shrimp, anemones, sea cucumbers, feather dusters, coralline algae, soft corals, hard corals and other invertebrates. Does not discolor the water or cause foaming.

Directions for use: It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Add 1 ml (1/5 tsp. for each 10 US gallons (38 L) or 5 ml (1 tsp.) for each 50 US gallons (190 L) or 50 ml. (10 tsp.) for each 500 US gallons (1,890 L) of aquarium water. Repeat dose every 3 days until algae is controlled. Siphon or scrape any dead algae from aquarium. Once algae growth is under control, add one dose per week. Weekly doses of AlgaeFix Marine will control Alger growth and reduce aquarium maintenance.

Precautionary Statement
Hazards to humans & domestic animals.

Caution: Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Note: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.

First Aid: If on skin, thoroughly wash with soap and water and remove contaminated clothing. If in eyes, hold eye open and gently flush with water for 15 minutes. If Swallowed, call a Poison Control Center or doctor immediately for treatment advice.

Storage and Disposal: Do not contaminate water or feed. Do not reuse empty bottle. Rinse throughly before discarding in trash."

Unread 08/07/2010, 09:54 AM   #1264
steevareno2002
Registered Member

Unfortunetly Algeafix hasn't worked for me after 9 doses so i'm assuming I have bryopsis. Off to the pet store to buy a sea hare and Kent tech M.

Unread 08/08/2010, 01:48 AM   #1265
zaitmi
Registered Member

Okay I dosed algaefix day before night and i cleaned some powerheads today and scraped the glass with blade, no cleaning done on rocks. Hope it is fine.

Unread 08/08/2010, 07:29 AM   #1266
gotmilkmailit
Registered Member

I have been reading nealry all of the posts in this thread. Took hours, but well worth it... My 75 gal tank is fairly new and I put 150lbs of LR and 50Lbs of live sand that came from another tank. My lighting system is theT5HO 6 bulb w/ lunars. Everything was fine until I added fish. A week later I had the worst HA outbreak that I have ever experienced. This crap covered every part of rock that the light touched and not just a little bit, it was thick and long. My hubby was so proud that I managed to make my "lawn" look better than the one in the yard.. Anyway, I bought AF and after the 1st dose, I noticed die off right away. After the second dose, I noticed even more. Before dosing the 3rd time, I couldn't stand looking at my tank anymore so I took out most of the affected rock and scrubbed it down with a tooth brush. Rinsed it and put it back in the tank. After the 3rd dose, I didn't see any change in what was left on my mushroom rock, but my decorator crab kicked the bucket. I don't know if it had anything to do with AF or not. He was just fine that morning and the night before. Possible.. The whole time during the 1st 3 doses, I was adding Purple Up (every other day) and I left my carbon in and my pura phoslock bag in too. Skimmer is still running. I have not noticed any ill effects on my BTA or astria snails, blue legged hermits, red legged hermits or fish..The HA seemed to stop growning. There are a few nicely green patches that are still there.. 4th dose is on Tuesday. Can't wait for the 5th dose...
I havn't seen any posts for those who are maintaining with AF (unless I missed them).
I am curious to know if the "maintenance" doses have an ill effect on the livestock..
Anyone???

gotmilkmailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2010, 08:00 AM   #1267
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

gotmilkmailit,

To Reef Central

Sorry to hear about the loss of your crab.

We have not received feed-back from any hobbyist who has used AF for long term at the once per week maintenance dosing.

Personally, I don't like the idea of using AF for maintenance dosing once you have achieved control. Instead, I would watch for any recurrence of the algae & begin dosing at the every three day rate if the algae returns. It makes sense to dose AF a little longer after you achieve control and perhaps a few maintenance doses after that. Long term dosing even at the once per week schedule may have negative effects we don't know about. It has not been made clear in any data we have available what effects AF has at the concentrations recommended for reef tanks on other organisms other then algae, which AF produces holes in their outer membrane and allows the contents of the cell to spew out. We do know that at 10X the levels used in reef tanks, that AF will kill many organisms (it is a biocide). We do know that AF will brake down in 24 hrs, so it should not accumulate in a reef aquarium.

Unread 08/08/2010, 08:21 AM   #1268
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

FWIW, maintenance applications of pesticides leads to resistant populations of the organism you are trying to control. It can also have similar effects on non-target organisms which leads to many types of negative side effects. This has been demonstrated when using pesticides to control every other form of life man has attempted to control. Algae reproduce at a phenomenal rate, which means resistance can develop quicker then for insects or rats. Bacteria will reproduce quicker then most algae and we don't know the effects AF has on them.

Unread 08/08/2010, 10:25 AM   #1269
gotmilkmailit
Registered Member

That is so true, so maybe dosing to maintain is not a good idea at all. I sure would hate to have armed algae!!

Unread 08/08/2010, 10:32 AM   #1270
zaitmi
Registered Member

The labels are almost same for both products reeflander. Okay 1 more impotant thing to i am dosing vodka also from last 2 months. Should i continue with it as it keeps my nitrates and phosphates in control??

Thanks in advance.

Unread 08/08/2010, 10:34 AM   #1271
zaitmi
Registered Member

The labels are almost same for both products reeflander. Okay 1 more impotant thing to ask i am dosing vodka also from last 2 months. Should i continue with it as it keeps my nitrates and phosphates in control??

Thanks in advance.

Unread 08/08/2010, 10:53 AM   #1272
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Good to know the dosing instructions for AF Marine & AF freshwater are the same. Thanks.

I would continue dosing your vodka. The AF will kill particularly gram negative bacteria to the best of my knowledge. Good skimming should help remove the bacteria as well. I would assume this is similar to running UV and dosing carbon sources, which doesn't seem to interfere with nitrate reduction.

I have found an additional source for the mode of action of AF. The mode of action is the same for bacteria as for algae. The mode of action is not completely understood. First the active ingredient in AF is attracted to the cell membrane of algae and bacteria. Particularly negatively charged organisms. It then penetrates through the cell membrane and disrupts the structure of the cell membrane. It then enters the cell and causes damages to the nuclear membrane. The disruption of the cell membrane allows the cytoplasm, K+ ions and various other components to ooze out of the cell. This results in the death of the cell. I can only assume that AF can't get through the mucal tissues secreted by coral and the coral outer cell membrane. At least the amount that can get through is reduced. Otherwise we would see negative effects on coral. I can't find any documents which describe the effect of AF on coral tissues and membranes, so this is just speculation on my part.

Mode of action for AlgaeFix Marine:
http://books.google.com/books?id=3f-...action&f=false

Unread 08/08/2010, 11:03 AM   #1273
gotmilkmailit
Registered Member

Just a note. Decorator crab did NOT die!!! He just molted... OOOPS!!

Unread 08/10/2010, 07:39 AM   #1274
zaitmi
Registered Member

2nd dose of Algaefix Freshwater provided last night i.e 42 drops (3ml) on my 30 gallon tank.

No positive results yet. So what, i will keep on dosing and posting here.

Unread 08/10/2010, 07:42 AM   #1275
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Many hobbyists seem to start seeing results around the 5th or 6th dose.

Tags
ganjero