Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2006, 10:32 PM   #1
fishpimptony
Registered Member

what type of reef fish am i able to breeded at home

i was huge in the fresh water breeding. i breed everything from angels to zeabra plecos. i want to start breeding 5 different clowns and others. i need to know what esle i can breed at home.

fishpimptony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2006, 11:59 PM   #2
mwp
Moved On

There's a few lists floating around; in theory there should be PLENTY variety out there for you, and as an added plus, there are tons of marine fish species out there that haven't yet been bred but most likely COULD based on existing know how with related species.

Besides clowns, there are Dottybacks/Psuedochromids and Basslets, Dragonets (they've been done but as I'm finding it's tremendously difficult), TONS of gobies just waiting to be cracked (not to mention those that have been), Bangaii Cardinalfish (the saltwater guppy), Seahorses, Pipefish, Some Blennies are just starting to be nailed down, Damselfish surely could be too if there was any financial incentive to do so (one species turns out to be rather EASY but it's UGLY...more or less behaves like your average Central American Cichlid...). There are more still that while perhaps not really good projects for the average home hobby breeder ARE being produced commercially (i.e. Dwarf Angels).

http://www.breedersregistry.org/species.htm - tons of good starting off info online on a wide variety of marine organisms. The other cool part about breeding marines is that you're not necessarily limited to FISH - stuff like Shrimps, Crabs, other inverts are just as worthwhile to attempt!

FWIW,

Matt

mwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 01:45 PM   #3
fishpimptony
Registered Member

thanks for the info. i have the room and equipment to get it do.

fishpimptony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2006, 10:11 AM   #4
fnicklaus
Registered Member

There are a variety of fish to breed in the marine system. I won't repeat what was stated above. Make sure that you have rotifers ready to feed the fry within the first few days.

fnicklaus is offline   Reply With Quote