Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Reidallaboutit
Registered Member

Question 3 day Old Elegance Coral (How's She Doing?)

Hey all,

Last weekend I saw an Australian Elegance 50% off online, description said they were fairly hardy, did a quick Google search which confirmed the bias I'd created from reading that description and decided to click order. I've since been researching and found they're quite a challenge to keep but hey...I guess I'm up for it now.

I'm not sure the specimen I received was in the greatest condition to begin with because it seems the membrane was pulled back a bit from the edges compared to other pictures I've seen. Below are some photo links to it. Any input on its arrival condition and current state are appreciated!

Day 1 Arrival In Package - https://photos.app.goo.gl/pkwjChe2PMHUtCp93

Placed in tank after drip acclimating (light is ambient from windows. no tank lights yet). - https://photos.app.goo.gl/qKUJ1mPjUPrrSd8B2

Day 1 Evening - I gave her 2 hours of low light to see her open up - https://photos.app.goo.gl/20nJOpCSMWNBFLFn2

Day 2 - I read that they expand 2-4x the size of their base. Doesn't seem to be near that. All spectrums were on today at 50% for 2.5 hrs. Tentacles also seem very short compared to pictures I've seen online. What do you think?

Front View - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZZr8RHt93vIKkFEO2
Side View - https://photos.app.goo.gl/cVxdBq2hr3mzrcsM9

Day 3 -

I don't notice much difference. Tentacles might be a hair longer...maybe?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/unAFO7DDOMvBnQcv2

Water Parameters Have Been Holding Steady At:

<10 Nitrate
0 Ammonia
1.025 Salinity
9-10 dKh
8-8.2 pH
77-78 Degrees

It's in a low flow, low light area currently. I have a crappy Orbit Marine IC LED unit on the tank. My tank is 18 inches deep so according to manufacturers chart I should be around 20-40 PAR down there. Which from what I'm reading isn't quite enough (should be closer to 100 once the coral is fully acclimated?). However I noticed this morning that the coral was expelling some zooxanthellae from the oral disc which means it's been getting too much light correct? Was 2.5 hours at 50% intensity from a cheap-o LED really too much light?

Any input/thoughts are much appreciated!

Reidallaboutit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 04:21 PM   #2
lilyost4290
Registered Member

Definitely needs more light if it’s only getting 20-40 PAR. Are you sure it was zoox that it was expelling?

lilyost4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 10:32 PM   #3
Rispa
Registered Member

Also did you put the stony base into the sand? It looks kind of like it's just resting on top of the sand and that's why it is facing the wall of the tank instead of the lights above.

Rispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 05:52 AM   #4
Reidallaboutit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyost4290 View Post
Definitely needs more light if it’s only getting 20-40 PAR. Are you sure it was zoox that it was expelling?
I cant say with 100% certainty but it looked like it was stringy blackish consistency coming out. Maybe got 1/4 long before breaking off and floating away.

Unread 06/09/2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Reidallaboutit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rispa View Post
Also did you put the stony base into the sand? It looks kind of like it's just resting on top of the sand and that's why it is facing the wall of the tank instead of the lights above.
Originally I was planning to place it upright with stony base completely buried in sand but I read in a few places that they're typically found in mud/sand lying on their side with the tip of their base buried.

It seems people have had success with all sorts of positions including attached to rockwork (which many advise against). If it doesn't improve in the next day or so I may try bringing it higher up in the tank for more light.

Based on photos would you say its tentacles are definitely withdrawn? It is a small piece...maybe 1 1/2 inches.

Unread 06/09/2018, 07:24 AM   #6
Rispa
Registered Member

I think it's a little withdrawn and not fully expanded.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180605_162417.jpg (39.3 KB, 32 views)
Unread 06/09/2018, 07:25 AM   #7
Rispa
Registered Member

Mine that I just posted a pic of seems really happy. It's growing new mouths and even when I upset it, it doesn't take long to open back up. When mysis falls on it, it is such to gobble it up.

Unread 06/09/2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Reidallaboutit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rispa View Post
Mine that I just posted a pic of seems really happy. It's growing new mouths and even when I upset it, it doesn't take long to open back up. When mysis falls on it, it is such to gobble it up.
Yours definitely looks happier than mine. It does seem to open up relatively quickly when lights come on. We'll see how it goes today (Day 4) I know shipping can definitely stress them out.

I might have to try spot feeding it a little Mysis and see how it rracts. Will have to distract the cleaner shrimp so they don't steal it. Elegance are pretty slow eaters right?

Unread 06/09/2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Rispa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidallaboutit View Post
Yours definitely looks happier than mine. It does seem to open up relatively quickly when lights come on. We'll see how it goes today (Day 4) I know shipping can definitely stress them out.

I might have to try spot feeding it a little Mysis and see how it rracts. Will have to distract the cleaner shrimp so they don't steal it. Elegance are pretty slow eaters right?
Mine isn't slow. It curls the. Mysis in pretty quickly, but i also don't have anything that will steal the food from it. Good luck. I'll be watching this thread for updates.

Unread 06/09/2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Reidallaboutit
Registered Member

She's looking better already. Lights on full power have her opening a little wider and tentacles are starting to look more full. Not quite where I think they should be but improving. Fed some mysis and that was fun to watch the mouthes open up a d curl the food into the mouthes. Had to use the Turkey baster to fight off the cleaner shrimp though LOL. Those guys have an appetite.

Unread 06/10/2018, 07:13 AM   #11
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Glad it has improved.

Speaking of hungry shrimp, I have seen shrimp stick their claws inside the acan polyp mouthes and pull swallowed food out of their gut sack.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral help, elegance coral, lpc