Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:23 AM   #1
liverock
RC Sponsor

Not good....

http://www.flkeysnews.com/news/local...209447494.html

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Cliving1
Registered Member

Not at all...thank you for sharing.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:53 AM   #3
devimik
Registered Member

That's terrible. Hopefully, they can figure out what's causing it and how to prevent it from continuing to spread.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 01:07 PM   #4
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

In the 7 years I lived there from 2011 until this past January, the decline of the reefs is startling. Looe Key was literally in my back yard, and it along with all areas of the reef are rapidly declining. I respect what Mote Marine is doing, and Dr David Vaughn, who is the director at the Summerland Key location is a friend and a wonderful person, but I believe that the only coral you'll see in Florida in 30 years will be in aquariums...

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

I was researching a coral farm project in the Bahamas as I’m married to a Bahamian, I found out yesterday another company called Coral Vita will be setting up shop in Grand Bahama I help with restoration. I guess we’ll see where that goes.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 02:10 PM   #6
liverock
RC Sponsor

First time I went to the Keys was in 1960....my parents took us down there...I remember the water being crystal clear...and seeing all the fish off the bridges as we went to Key west.

Fast forward 1971.....went down for my first solo trip..after college ...met some locals and learned a lot about the Keys.

Used to go out of Tavernier creek, and at the end of the channel was the 'headpin' channel marker. All around it was this amazing field of gorgeous staghorn coral...pristine..

I slowly watched it, and the elkhorn disappear over the years...

Craysforth reef was an amazing coral garden....sad to say now all of it is gone...all of it....nothing but rubble sand bottom, which used to be gorgeous coral fields...

Here in the Gulf off Tampa, am glad to report all the corals we have here are thriving and look great....but they are not the reef building corals that the keys have....

Does not look good for the Atlantic corals, unfortunately.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Fredfish
Registered Member

This makes me sad.

Went snorkling in the keys in '72 as a young teen. It was beautiful. Captivating. Then starting in the mid '70 things really went south.

Did 'bucket list' diving on the GBR 15 years ago. Now it's all going south. I don't think my kids will ever have the opportunity to see either set of reefs in their full glory.

It is sad what we have done to our planet.

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:32 PM   #8
NO3
In Memoriam

Just a bunch of scientists putting on a BIG FAKE SCARE to get more FUNDING MONEY GRANTS so they make rent and drink Starbucks.

Mother Earth will take care of itself

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3 View Post
Just a bunch of scientists putting on a BIG FAKE SCARE to get more FUNDING MONEY GRANTS so they make rent and drink Starbucks.

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Jonviviano
Registered Member

Quote:

..is this sarcasm?...

Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:51 PM   #11
NO3
In Memoriam

By the term fake used above I mean the damage and dying of corals in that area is real... But this overall sense that corals worldwide will die and our grandchildren will be standing at the shoreline with tears running down her face is fake.

A lot of the scientist make their income by getting big money grants. I'm sure the director of this study is making a cool six figure income. Probably drives a white Audi A6 and drinks $8 Starbucks coffees each mornings.

So the big point I want to make is that Mother Earth will take care of itself even after all us humans try so desperately to screw things up. Mother Earth will take care of new growth of corals and other regions of the world. So I take this whole article with a grain of salt. Probably a PR move to get more grant money so all the scientist can make car payments, rent payments, and Order exotic lunches for themselves

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 07:01 PM   #12
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Not good....

Sorry, what do you say about those that have posted physically witnessing the loss of coral reefs in Florida from the 1970’s until now?

Unread 04/23/2018, 07:05 PM   #13
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Do you even know who the person is that posted this? A little education and research goes a long way...

Unread 04/23/2018, 07:43 PM   #14
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
By the term fake used above I mean the damage and dying of corals in that area is real... But this overall sense that corals worldwide will die and our grandchildren will be standing at the shoreline with tears running down her face is fake.

A lot of the scientist make their income by getting big money grants. I'm sure the director of this study is making a cool six figure income. Probably drives a white Audi A6 and drinks $8 Starbucks coffees each mornings.

So the big point I want to make is that Mother Earth will take care of itself even after all us humans try so desperately to screw things up. Mother Earth will take care of new growth of corals and other regions of the world. So I take this whole article with a grain of salt. Probably a PR move to get more grant money so all the scientist can make car payments, rent payments, and Order exotic lunches for themselves

Maybe it is a PR move to obtain grants for a few people to make six figures. But the photo evidence shows something is killing corals...so why shouldn't we be interested? I mean...cancer kills people but it's not gonna wipe out the human population. Maybe we should just stop researching cures for cancer...

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:14 PM   #15
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:

Next time you are sick, please remember what you said here and please do not go see a doctor, as mother nature will take good care of you. I guess your doctor makes more than those scientists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:36 PM   #16
WVfishguy
Registered Member

NO3 is a good example of someone who knows little but talks a lot.

I want everyone here to google "American Chestnut Tree." This was the largest mass extinction in centuries. And it happened a short while ago. Very few know of this.

Massive chestnut trees, almost rivaling giant redwoods, made up every fourth tree in American forests for millions of years. Then, nearly overnight, they were gone, a victim of an Asian blight brought over in the early 1900's.

I'm old enough to remember the last chestnut trees. They are all gone now. I saw this.

All. Gone.

Passenger pigeons blacked out the sun in their numbers. All gone.

Literally millions of bison, herds so huge it took days for one herd to pass, very nearly gone.

And in our lifetime, many, many amphibian species will become extinct. When I was young, I could find salamanders by the hundreds in local creeks.

Now they are gone.

So don't tell me coral reefs cannot become extinct. I've hear that crap before.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 01:45 AM   #17
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
NO3 is a good example of someone who knows little but talks a lot.

I want everyone here to google "American Chestnut Tree." This was the largest mass extinction in centuries. And it happened a short while ago. Very few know of this.

Massive chestnut trees, almost rivaling giant redwoods, made up every fourth tree in American forests for millions of years. Then, nearly overnight, they were gone, a victim of an Asian blight brought over in the early 1900's.

I'm old enough to remember the last chestnut trees. They are all gone now. I saw this.

All. Gone.

Passenger pigeons blacked out the sun in their numbers. All gone.

Literally millions of bison, herds so huge it took days for one herd to pass, very nearly gone.

And in our lifetime, many, many amphibian species will become extinct. When I was young, I could find salamanders by the hundreds in local creeks.

Now they are gone.

So don't tell me coral reefs cannot become extinct. I've hear that crap before.
And this is what I like to call the chicken little effect. Everything is dying, everything is going extinct, OMG the world is dying!

Not a single one of those things are extinct, with the exception of the passenger pigeon.

Things go extinct to make way for new things, it's called evolution. Mother earth takes care of herself. When she has decided she has had enough of the human race destroying her, she will take care of it. Mass extinctions have happened in the past, it will happen again.

And I totally agree whats happening in our oceans is terrible, but I would be willing to bet whats dying will make way for newer species that are tolerant of whats going on. Evolution has a way of working things out.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 03:45 AM   #18
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:

Except most scientists don’t make that type of money. What’s it like being so ignorant?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 04:12 AM   #19
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:

Ignorance is always bliss.

I don't what marine scientists you know, but I know quite a few, and none of them make 6 figure and drive audi's lol. Most are dirt poor and do the job because they love it and it makes a difference. Most are lucky if they make 50K a year.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 09:44 AM   #20
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:

lol and global warming is fake Chinese propaganda

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 11:27 AM   #21
liverock
RC Sponsor

Ruskies

The Russians did it.....

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 04/24/2018, 01:57 PM   #22
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I find it bizarre that people can deny extinction events have and will occur. I'm not saying this has anything to to with man's activities, but extinction is an unfortunate fact of life on planet Earth.

I guess we have a tendency to believe only that which we wish to believe, regardless of evidence to the contrary. After all, there are those who maintain the Earth is flat.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 03:11 PM   #23
Misled
RC Mod

Be nice people.

Unread 04/24/2018, 03:42 PM   #24
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

I ain't no fancy shmancy scientist, I just happened to live next to what was once considered the nicest stretch of reef in North America. I dived on that reef almost daily for 7 years, and it isn't just in the process of dying, most of it is dead. Sure the earth will replace it with other species. It already has - algae, but I'm not too interested in diving on algae patches, or keeping a tank that's primary inhabitants are strains of algae that have taken over where reefs once thrived. Say what you want about climate change and global warming and how mother earth will take care of herself, but make no mistake about it, coral is dying at a rate that almost certainly cannot be reversed. It makes me sad that, in the not too distant future, more than likely the only place to see it will be in our aquariums...

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote