Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2012, 01:16 AM   #301
sweet ride
Registered Member

...... and a few new addition that one day am hoping to replace some of the current corals in the system.

...... not the color that I was hoping to get but am liking the current color morphs!!!

...... and a group shot

sweet ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 01:06 PM   #302
jroovers
Registered Member

Very nice, like the superman monti especially.

Unread 10/25/2012, 10:35 AM   #303
Mirugai
Registered Member

Beautiful tank. May i ask what do you feed the fish and corals with?

Mirugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2012, 08:45 PM   #304
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroovers View Post
Very nice, like the superman monti especially.
thanks man! I picked up the monti as a super tiny frag in the beginning of the year and now it's starting to encrust in my rock work! I can't wait for this to grow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirugai View Post
Beautiful tank. May i ask what do you feed the fish and corals with?
Thanks Mirugai!!! The fish are fed 3 times a day via auto feeder with New Life Spectrum pellets. I also feed them seaweed and various frozen food 3 times per week. Despite the consensus that small polyped stony coral does not need to be feed directly I still mix Nutra-Kol NutraPlus, DT's and Cyclop-eeze and broadcast feed twice per week. The main pump and all of the power heads are turned off for 60 minutes to give the corals time to absorb the nutrients. During this time, significant polyp extension is visible in most of the SPS coral.

Unread 10/26/2012, 07:43 AM   #305
aqua80
Registered Member

thanks for sharing such a nice reef and pics !

Unread 11/19/2012, 09:43 PM   #306
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua80 View Post
thanks aqua80!!! your photos and system is very nice as well!!!

Unread 11/23/2012, 12:17 AM   #307
REEF SMAC
Registered Member

Man do I love seeing your updates. Always gorgeous stuff.

REEF SMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 09:29 PM   #308
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEF SMAC View Post
Man do I love seeing your updates. Always gorgeous stuff.
as always thanks Reef SMAC!!!!

Unread 11/24/2012, 10:15 PM   #309
sweet ride
Registered Member

Here is a quick FTS update! For the most part the system is doing okay I would have to say that the growth rate of the corals are just fine! the front island corals are now officially touching the back island corals! As per color I lost a little bit of color here and there and the most noticeable are deep green on some of the acros, and the purple seems to be on the lighter side. As per the rest of the color dark and light blue, yellow, light green they all seem to be fine. Any suggestion and or recommendation regarding how to tweak the colors of the corals is greatly appreciated!

November 24th, 2012 - Fall 2012 Update

Photos was taken under two ATI Coral+ and two Reef Brite one XHO and one normal output both are all blue. I would have to say that for viewing purposes this is the one that I like the best.

Unread 11/24/2012, 10:28 PM   #310
Centralcampus
Registered Member

Looking through all that has happened, the tank looks amazing!

Can't wait to see your continued success!

Centralcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 11:50 PM   #311
Acronic
The Fifth Master

Looks really good. Our aquascapes are very similar. Cant wait till my tank fills out as nice

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 07:06 AM   #312
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Looks awesome. Everything looks to be beautifully filling out.

Now you just need to treat us to some top down coral shots.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 09:28 AM   #313
psteeleb
Registered Member

looks great - with a 110 peninsula myself, I know the challenge of creating a consistant coloration form front to back. Due to this with the need to replace my 4 mixed colored bulbs I was looking for 4 of the same bulbs that provided a good mix of colors. I ended up orderign the ATI coral+ but still had some concerns, so I'm glad to see your happy with them.

What ballast are you using?

I have an older Icecap 660 that overdrives but I don't need the extra light output. One thought was to replace the single 660 with 2 other balllast, I may even look into dimables.

thanks,

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2012, 05:07 AM   #314
adddo
“Goodnight, tiny humans.”

This looks amazing

//Bjarne
adddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2012, 10:13 PM   #315
rowdy29can
Registered Member

Awesome as per usual! Great stuff! Tank has matured. Gonna have to upgrade soon? Or Corals will be growing out of the tank and on top of each other. Or just keep frag'in those wonderful mother colonies and keep selling them

Current Tank Info: 120g Custom Starphire tank sps's
rowdy29can is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2012, 08:50 AM   #316
jroovers
Registered Member

Looks awesome. I used to have a lot of wide open space around the base of my two pillars - seeing your sandbed and the space around your rockwork at the base makes me want to clear things out a bit and make it seem less cluttered, looks very visually appealing.

Unread 11/27/2012, 09:09 PM   #317
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Your system is amazing and thank you for inspiring me to continue to rebuild my little reef tank. Have a few questions.
1. What salt brand
2. How do you keep up the calcium demand
3. Do you feed the Sps at all directly by target feeding or no at all
4. Can you go over your lighting schedule
5. How often do you prune your tank so I can come over and pick up some scraps lol
6. How do you keep your sand so clean
Just a few for now

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2012, 10:55 AM   #318
Flagswipe
Registered Member

Looking awesome !

Current Tank Info: 135 Mixed reef with lots of fish
Flagswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2012, 03:30 PM   #319
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralcampus View Post
Looking through all that has happened, the tank looks amazing!

Can't wait to see your continued success!
thanks for the vote of confidence Centralcampus!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronic View Post
Looks really good. Our aquascapes are very similar. Cant wait till my tank fills out as nice
Thanks Acronic! am sure in no time your system would be just as full!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Looks awesome. Everything looks to be beautifully filling out.

Now you just need to treat us to some top down coral shots.
thanks sahin! ....some just seem to be really slow doing it!!! As per some top down shots, I just have to figure out how to do this as I don't have enough room between the top of the water and the light fixture!!!! or else I would have posted a lot of this already!!!!!

Unread 12/08/2012, 06:38 PM   #320
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
looks great - with a 110 peninsula myself, I know the challenge of creating a consistant coloration form front to back. Due to this with the need to replace my 4 mixed colored bulbs I was looking for 4 of the same bulbs that provided a good mix of colors. I ended up orderign the ATI coral+ but still had some concerns, so I'm glad to see your happy with them.

What ballast are you using?

I have an older Icecap 660 that overdrives but I don't need the extra light output. One thought was to replace the single 660 with 2 other balllast, I may even look into dimables.

thanks,
Thanks psteeleb!!! your system looks very nice as well! I like the video that you post as well!!! As per your question regarding the ballast am not sure as am using an ATI Fixture.

As it stand are you only using 4 bulbs? In my case am using 6 bulbs plus 2 4ft Reef Brite all blue and one of them with XHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adddo View Post
This looks amazing
Thanks adddo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy29can View Post
Awesome as per usual! Great stuff! Tank has matured. Gonna have to upgrade soon? Or Corals will be growing out of the tank and on top of each other. Or just keep frag'in those wonderful mother colonies and keep selling them
Thanks rowdy29can!!!! As much as I want to upgrade I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon! It would be nice to see this corals grow out of the tank or at least very close to it!!! At this point in time I've fragged so much already but it seems like every one branch that I cut two would grow! not that am complaining!!!!

Unread 12/08/2012, 07:42 PM   #321
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroovers View Post
Looks awesome. I used to have a lot of wide open space around the base of my two pillars - seeing your sandbed and the space around your rockwork at the base makes me want to clear things out a bit and make it seem less cluttered, looks very visually appealing.
Thanks jroovers!!! keeping the sand bed free of corals is one of those things that I try very hard on maintaining!!! trust me it's not east!! specially were we are GTA!!! with all the reef stores around it's hard not to grab corals on a whim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Your system is amazing and thank you for inspiring me to continue to rebuild my little reef tank. Have a few questions.
1. What salt brand
2. How do you keep up the calcium demand
3. Do you feed the Sps at all directly by target feeding or no at all
4. Can you go over your lighting schedule
5. How often do you prune your tank so I can come over and pick up some scraps lol
6. How do you keep your sand so clean
Just a few for now
thanks trueblackpercula!!! am flattered that I can still inspire veteren reefers like you!
I will try to answer all your question with the best of my ability!
1. I switch to kent marine reef salt last Christmas as this was the one on sale! prior to this I was using IO.
2. calcium demand is kept in checked via dosing I use BRS two part dosing solution.
3. am not sure if you can call it target feeding, anyways I feed the system twice a week with NutraPlus Complete Feed by Nutra-Kol during this time the return pump and power head is turned off. All I know is that all the polyps are fully extended by the time I turn on all the pumps again!
4. I've always played around with this, so as of today I have the 2 RB on for 2 hours, then 4 ATI Blue Plus for 1 hour by it self then the entire ATI fixture 4 ATI Blue Plus and 2 ATI Coral Plus is on for 4 hours, then the 4 ATI Blue Plus for 1 hour by it self again then back to the 2 RB again for 2 hours, finally two coralife moonlight is on when ever the rest of the light is turned off.
5. lol! that a good one! would you like to come over i've been procrastinating lately, the system is in need of a good pruning! jokes aside, I would flip frags whenever I brake them during the maintenance/water change above and beyond that when the folks that come to pick up the frags am always willing to cut a few, really this is the extent of my coral pruning!
6. you wouldn't believe unless you see it! the sand is kept this white by my two clowns! they mix the sanded more than my two wrasse could, I also have a couple of dosen various sand sifting snails!
wow! till the next set of questions!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagswipe View Post
Looking awesome !
Thanks Dwayne! only wish my system has as much color as your system.

Unread 12/08/2012, 10:44 PM   #322
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
I will try to answer all your question with the best of my ability!
1. I switch to kent marine reef salt last Christmas as this was the one on sale! prior to this I was using IO.
2. calcium demand is kept in checked via dosing I use BRS two part dosing solution.
3. am not sure if you can call it target feeding, anyways I feed the system twice a week with NutraPlus Complete Feed by Nutra-Kol during this time the return pump and power head is turned off. All I know is that all the polyps are fully extended by the time I turn on all the pumps again!
4. I've always played around with this, so as of today I have the 2 RB on for 2 hours, then 4 ATI Blue Plus for 1 hour by it self then the entire ATI fixture 4 ATI Blue Plus and 2 ATI Coral Plus is on for 4 hours, then the 4 ATI Blue Plus for 1 hour by it self again then back to the 2 RB again for 2 hours, finally two coralife moonlight is on when ever the rest of the light is turned off.
5. lol! that a good one! would you like to come over i've been procrastinating lately, the system is in need of a good pruning! jokes aside, I would flip frags whenever I brake them during the maintenance/water change above and beyond that when the folks that come to pick up the frags am always willing to cut a few, really this is the extent of my coral pruning!
6. you wouldn't believe unless you see it! the sand is kept this white by my two clowns! they mix the sanded more than my two wrasse could, I also have a couple of dosen various sand sifting snails!
wow! till the next set
Thanks for all the answers and I wish you all the best with such an amazing tank. I also use two part dosing and find it to be easy and reliable. My lighting I have been questioning as I feel like I want to change over to LEDs but I just can't get away from my 150vho and 400 watt halide. What are you thoughts bout this new lighting for your tank? Well in any case your tank is truly a work of art and TOTM for sure....send. Me a PM when you have some frags would love to own some of your corals as they are truly amazing....

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2012, 12:16 AM   #323
CeeGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adddo View Post
This looks amazing
I second that

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 40 gallon breeder sump, RLSS R6i, ATI Powermodule, Apex, Ecotech MP40's
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2012, 11:27 AM   #324
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Thanks for all the answers and I wish you all the best with such an amazing tank. I also use two part dosing and find it to be easy and reliable. My lighting I have been questioning as I feel like I want to change over to LEDs but I just can't get away from my 150vho and 400 watt halide. What are you thoughts bout this new lighting for your tank? Well in any case your tank is truly a work of art and TOTM for sure....send. Me a PM when you have some frags would love to own some of your corals as they are truly amazing....
I personally have never used VHO, but from talking to experience reefers that have used them before, they've always told me nothing can replace them! in a good way. As per the MH I know the color that you get from them is not the same as the T5's or LED some corals like MH better and some like the T5/LED's better. As per the new lighting in my system ie. T5/RB LED I like thats I have a more even lighting as well as I can play with the T5 bulb color combination a little bit more, less heat is also a plus! Being even mention to be a TOTM in the same sentence is a great recognition on it self thank you!!!! Hit me up when ever your in Toronto! Am sure I can spare a few frags!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeGee View Post
I second that
Thanks CeeGee!!!!

Unread 12/09/2012, 05:29 PM   #325
psteeleb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet ride View Post
Thanks psteeleb!!! your system looks very nice as well! I like the video that you post as well!!! As per your question regarding the ballast am not sure as am using an ATI Fixture.

As it stand are you only using 4 bulbs? In my case am using 6 bulbs plus 2 4ft Reef Brite all blue and one of them with XHO.
I have 4 T5's plus 48 royal blue and 22 cool white 3 watt LED's and will be adding another 22 8kish whites this week.

About 1 1/2 years ago I was considering going LED's suplimented with 10-12k T5's as a high noon effect. After trying it I wasn't happy with the missing color spectrums so mixed in some other T5's. Unfortunatly I found out that with my high rock pennisula and short hood I don't have enough space for single spectrum bulbs to blend. So I was looking for a broader based spectrum in a single T5 bulb (blue, white and red). The ATI Coral+ T5's came in the other day and I can say I am very pleased with the results.

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquascaping, corals, peninsula, reef, sps