Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2016, 01:06 PM   #1
sappho
Registered Member

Help! I think my fish is sick! Idk what to do?

My yellow tank is scratched up? I saw him scratching, checked the water and realized the pH was low (>7.4) so I put some baking soda in it and got the pH back up to around 8 but my tang has an orange spot on his tail where he was rubbing against the rocks. I read that as long as the wound does not fester, I need not intervene. Its now been a couple days all water parameters are good but my tang is still scratching pretty aggressively? I have checked him quite closely but I see no indication of ick and none of the other fish are having difficulties. What do I do?

sappho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2016, 02:13 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

More information would help figure out a plan.

Tank size and age
filtration
sump?
lights
reactors
ro/di?
actual numbers for parameters
other inhabitants

Regardless, it probably should be removed to a hospital/qt tank until it gets better, if for no other reason than the fact that whatever might be going on could very well be passed on to other fish. It is also much easier to medicate (if needed) a smaller volume of water.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappho View Post
My yellow tank is scratched up? I saw him scratching, checked the water and realized the pH was low (>7.4) so I put some baking soda in it and got the pH back up to around 8 but my tang has an orange spot on his tail where he was rubbing against the rocks. I read that as long as the wound does not fester, I need not intervene. Its now been a couple days all water parameters are good but my tang is still scratching pretty aggressively? I have checked him quite closely but I see no indication of ick and none of the other fish are having difficulties. What do I do?
Ok stop dude.

1: throw the ph tester in the trash, you don't need it. And stop buffering the water, sudden changes are stressful for all the animals. This isn't about chasing numbers.

2: the animals behavior is from an opportunistic pathogen. Exactly which one is hard to say. We need some pics to form a diagnosis here. The spots you see are from the organism and not from the scratching.

3: yellow tangs are prone to bacterial infections.

4: not having visible white spots does not rule out ich, but given the other descriptions given, it's likely bacterial.

Answer some questions here.

1: how old is the aquarium.
2: what size is the aquarium..
3: how long has the tang been in your aquarium.
4: is this a fish only tank or a reef?
5: what other living things are present in the tank. (Tankmates)
6: what is the last thing you added to the tank.
7: did you put this tang through a QT process.
8: is the fish eating? If so, what have you been feeding it.
9: where does your source water come from?
10: recent parameters other than the pH.

Answer those as detailed as possible and post a pic of the subject, we will try to fix him.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 05:19 PM   #4
sappho
Registered Member

Aquarium is 6-7 months old
55 gal (I know the tank is too small, the person i got it from told me it was 90 gals and im working on getting a more appropriate sized tank)
tang went in just after cycle finished (4-5months)
FOWLR plus a shrimp
Dogface puffer (again, she is very small and im working on a new tank), flame clownfish, strawberry dottyback, starry blenny, peppermint shrimp
blenny was the last thing added to the tank, didnt qt him as he was in a copper treatment tank when i got him
tang was the first thing in the tank so no qt
all fish are doing great and eating just fine
I feed them shrimp, calamari, octopus, clams, scallops
i have an RODI system
ammonia:0, nitrite:0, nitrate:0, phosphates: 2ppm
i did a water change and the tang doesnt have any redness anymore but is still rubbing
Thank you!!

Unread 05/29/2016, 05:56 PM   #5
firefly73
LOVE HANDLE JACKAROO

ahhh dont know whether id trust 0 n03. what kit? a fo tank you must be changing alot of water to keep it that low. id double check that at a store or mates kit. you may find levels are much higher . leading to immune system issues etc. other than that may just be one of those things but out of all your fish he is the most sensitive.

Current Tank Info: holds water
firefly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 06:01 PM   #6
sappho
Registered Member

I have the API kit and it worked fine when i was cycling. I put denitrate in a media bag in the corner of my tank. Since then my nitrates have been zero every time i checked

Unread 05/30/2016, 05:26 AM   #7
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
blenny was the last thing added to the tank, didnt qt him as he was in a copper treatment tank when i got him
Coming from a copper environment is the worst possible situation. Most likely he brought in ich.

Unread 05/30/2016, 05:44 AM   #8
johnike
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Coming from a copper environment is the worst possible situation. Most likely he brought in ich.
Yep.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 05:48 AM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
What he said. The reason is that because the amount of copper in the water was almost certainly less than that which is need to kill the Ich parasite all it did was mask the disease in the fish, and possibly eliminate some of the parasites. The problem with that is that the ones that are left will be more resistant to copper, making it's use even less likely to solve the problem.

At this point, your best (only, IMHO) option will be to catch all the fish, QT them and using the Tank Transfer Method (TTM, see sticky at top of page) get past the problem. It will require you to run your DT fallow (completely fishless - inverts are ok) for a MINIMUM of 72 days.

The moral of this story is:

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS QT YOUR NEW ADDITIONS!!!!

There is no such thing as a LFS that does it properly - it is the new owners responsibility to do it, and do it the right way!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 02:10 PM   #10
nitratepetra1
Registered Member

another good option would be to take a picture to your lfs and see if they can help.

nitratepetra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 02:32 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Go to the fish disease forum for treatment options.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 02:35 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

Regarding QT, even though it is too late, just because it is the 1st fish, does not negate the need to QT. If the 1st fish introduces Ick your tank needs to go fallow for at least 72 days. You could do Hyposalinity method in the DT , but you will lose your inverts.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 05:00 PM   #13
sappho
Registered Member

I made a mistake in my info, the clownfish was the one in the copper not the blenny. the clownfish was added just a month after the tang. Does this change anything?
also the ammonia level keeps spiking? it seems to correlate with the tangs rubbing. Idk whats wrong. I know i cycled the tank correctly and i havent been having any problems with ammonia until a few weeks ago. i reduced the feeding and that helped a bit.
Could the heat have something to do with it? The room has been very hot recently due to the weather but i have kept a close eye on the water temp and it stays 80 or below. It doesnt fluctuate much but it was consistently 75 before

Unread 06/06/2016, 05:10 PM   #14
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Quote:
I made a mistake in my info, the clownfish was the one in the copper not the blenny. the clownfish was added just a month after the tang. Does this change anything?
also the ammonia level keeps spiking? it seems to correlate with the tangs rubbing. Idk whats wrong. I know i cycled the tank correctly and i havent been having any problems with ammonia until a few weeks ago. i reduced the feeding and that helped a bit.
Could the heat have something to do with it? The room has been very hot recently due to the weather but i have kept a close eye on the water temp and it stays 80 or below. It doesnt fluctuate much but it was consistently 75 before
COULD be ammonia burn, but maybe not.

Have you checked for anything that is dying/dead? Ammonia shouldn't spike if your bio filter is appropriate.

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2016, 10:15 PM   #15
sappho
Registered Member

Nothing could be dead, all my critters are accounted for.
The ammonia spiked again today. It appears that my bio filter isnt working >__< what could cause this?

Unread 06/08/2016, 10:36 PM   #16
sappho
Registered Member

one of the filters on my rodi system has gotten pretty orange but i wasnt concerned because it isnt that old. Could this have causes some chemicals from the tap to be introduced into my tank and killed off some of my bacteria?

Unread 06/09/2016, 06:17 AM   #17
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

the ammonia spike could be from feeding to much, not enough filtration, ect. how much rock do you have? do you have a skimmer, any other type of filter?

as for your rodi unit unless it is produceing 0ppm TDS it is hard to say what it is putting into the tank. do you have a TDS meter?

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2016, 07:27 AM   #18
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

i assume you are doing regular water changes? if so, are you stirring up the sand a lot? if you are, that can cause lots of nasties to be released from your sand bed which can cause a mini cycle sort of situation.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick, yellow tang