Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2015, 08:06 PM   #2426
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini5788 View Post
Looks good!
The PVC looks a bit bogan but I plan to line the inside of the tank, rear wall, sides, divider, base & overflow wall with acrylic sheeting (likely black).

So it looks clean for the camera.

Unread 04/27/2015, 08:04 AM   #2427
young doz
Stomatopod Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
The PVC looks a bit bogan but I plan to line the inside of the tank, rear wall, sides, divider, base & overflow wall with acrylic sheeting (likely black).

So it looks clean for the camera.
Haha This made me chuckle

young doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 08:20 PM   #2428
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Slowly but surely I am getting back into the game .

I've been in talks with a lot of third parties to up the everything of my works.

In the next month or so my 'Mantisman' uniform should be fully completed, embroidered & custom contact lenses, everything, so I can start appearing in all my videos.

I've got animators working on multiple entry & exit themes for all my videos.

I have even contracted a private music composer to create my own music so I am not taking copyrighted works like all the previous videos I have done with music.

I'm going to making my future videos all my own personal works, I in the uniform will be 'branding' every video so it's not possible for anyone to ever claim its their works.

It's all getting very professional and for good reason, I'm at that stage now.

Unread 04/29/2015, 09:49 PM   #2429
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Been raining pretty hardcore over past few days and since I don't have the roof in place yet above the tank its been a little slow but this morning I knuckled down and got 95% of the drain plumbing done, all that is left to do are...

- Glue it all in place from below the ball valve points and backup overflow connection.

- Knock out 1 brick that the 4 end plumbing points are sitting on so they can run level into the gutter, then put a brick/cement back in place for the gutter rim.

- Cement over the 4 end horizontals that carry the water from tank rear to gutter.

Then it's all INPUT plumbing.

Unread 04/29/2015, 10:01 PM   #2430
Kharn
MANTISMAN

There is 1 thing that I don't mind which could happen, is that the bulk head points on the plumbing (where they meet the glass) might leak (can't get rubber o rings here) now NORMALLY this would be a significant problem but there is a big difference for this tank.

It's outside, any leaking will NOT be a problem just because its only going onto the ground outside so no biggy not to mention that the water level in the tank itself is never going to be below the overflow corners depth simply because no plumbing is lower then that within the display areas (output OR input).

So it's a real none issue for me the whole leak potential I will however if I notice a leak just pack in more silicon.

Unread 05/02/2015, 04:58 AM   #2431
Kharn
MANTISMAN

The gluing is all done and all the OUTPUT plumbing is finished and fixed in place, also the 4 end drain points that were resting on top of the gutter rim block that block has been knocked out so the 4 drains run across the ground neatly (not raised), the block was then put back in place and the "speed bump" of cement is covering the 4 long drain pipes from the rear of the tank across the path to the gutters rim.

Tomorrow I build the roof above everything (going 1.5m over each side to ensure no direct light can ever hit it) the buildings wall (behind tank) and the concrete wall (in front of tank) will help against the elements as well (wind/rain/sun) so once the roof is in place it should make for a good little safe area for the tank.

Unread 05/02/2015, 12:33 PM   #2432
Squatch XXL
Moved On

This has thus far been a great read. I im interested in how your future setup will make the current/previous obsolete. I am nothing but amazed already.

Seeing how you can get free water exchanges via mother nature, you can really save money on hardware.....at least you'll never have to mix salt water again .

the tank Is pretty damn amazing and your stand should hold about 2 more of them plus an elephant.

I have to complain about one part of the pvc work lol. I am a plumber and it is just one of the things that I see that make no impact but aesthetics (I get really hung up on aesthetics). The return lines just look wonky, but this can happen very quickly when you are using fitting-to-fitting and small stub pieces. I can say with certainty that it has no effect whatsoever, and has happened to me....I still got paid, and nothing leaked.

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful knowledge.

Squatch XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2015, 06:59 PM   #2433
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch XXL View Post
I have to complain about one part of the pvc work lol. I am a plumber and it is just one of the things that I see that make no impact but aesthetics (I get really hung up on aesthetics). The return lines just look wonky, but this can happen very quickly when you are using fitting-to-fitting and small stub pieces. I can say with certainty that it has no effect whatsoever, and has happened to me....I still got paid, and nothing leaked.

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful knowledge.
Yeah this is just a temporary setup I plan to knock it all down by the end of the year because my house will be built and their will be 8 tank built into the walls of the house itself (concrete tanks with glass fronts), so this was just to get a tank up as fast as possible so I can get back to filming & photography.

The "End Game" tanks will be very very professional, clean displays.

Unread 05/02/2015, 08:43 PM   #2434
Kharn
MANTISMAN

This is the heart of the tank the big phat mega pump, if you don't really understand pumps then don't assume that this beast can do like 20,000L per hour...its power is derived from the distance that it can haul water from 1 location to another (40m max).

It's a 375watt @ 220V @ 50Hz and can do 25L/min (bit less then I thought) so the tank is at 520L total and after my calculations...

25L/min = 21min @ 520L = 2.1hrs (6x 520L per day)

The pump will be on for just over 2hrs total each day in order to turn over the total volume 6x per day. The plan is to effectively see and gouge how the animals feel and react to such a rate before ramping it down (will go down first to see how little I have to use the pump, if the animals are A-OK with the 6x per day) worst case if their suffering (which I doubt) I will ramp it up to 8-10x turn over per day, but the former will just make the overall running cheaper and cheaper while the latter will make it more and more expensive.

The roof has also just been started...(next post)

Unread 05/02/2015, 08:45 PM   #2435
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Up goes the roof!

Frame work is nearly done then it's just the roof itself!

After this is ALL INPUT plumbing work and hooking up the mega pump!
Unfortunately this is my last day here (for 4weeks) I will return here early/mid june and finish off the tank, I'm also returning here for a larger longer 6month stint.

Unread 05/03/2015, 04:44 AM   #2436
Kharn
MANTISMAN

The Roof is now done

With its completion am excited to see how it holds against the elements just a shame I won't be here for 4weeks to witness it but upon my return I'll be more concerned about finishing it and getting the tank stocked with a big phat Peacock Smasher and a Freakish Big Zebra Spearer!

Alass I must return to Aus for 4weeks -_- but upon my return here I will be back here for a good solid long 6months!

Unread 05/03/2015, 08:13 AM   #2437
Squatch XXL
Moved On

Safe travels, and I will certainly check back.

Squatch XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 11:02 AM   #2438
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Curiousity question, would the alluminum roof hold heat or reflect sunlight causing higher temperatures in the aquarium? Or is the ocean water itself pumping in and out going to maintain the temperature. Would the acrylic be damaged from the heat while it's unfilled with water?

Last edited by Calappidae; 05/03/2015 at 11:08 AM.
Calappidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 07:11 PM   #2439
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch XXL View Post
Safe travels, and I will certainly check back.
Thanks I hope to get back here A.S.A.P after getting what I need to get or get done in Aus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
Curiousity question, would the alluminum roof hold heat or reflect sunlight causing higher temperatures in the aquarium? Or is the ocean water itself pumping in and out going to maintain the temperature. Would the acrylic be damaged from the heat while it's unfilled with water?
Firstly the roofs top side is painted with a UV reflecting paint.

Secondly the roofs height should also make any heat from it a very small issue.

Finally the acrylic is going in on my return and as soon as the silicon has dried behind the sheets, the tank will be filled.

I don't see any heat being a problem as I am standing beneath the roof right now and it's a nice comfortable cool area now due to the shade created by the roof.

Unread 05/07/2015, 01:22 AM   #2440
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Breaking down the old Multi Mantis Systems in order to get everything sold and moved on to new homes so that I can get some coin out of it to put towards the rebuild overseas!

Everything is being significantly cleaned (some are sitting in a mix of 50:50 water:vinegar, others like lights are being wiped down with cleaning agents) all will be tested before going up for sale.

That's not even all of it, I still have all the HOB overflows, tanks themselves & the stands to clean up & get ready for sale!

Here is to hoping I can get something out of it all...

Unread 05/14/2015, 02:27 AM   #2441
Kharn
MANTISMAN

More stuff cleaned more stuff up for sale!

Skimmers, Wavemakers, Pumps, Reactors & Canister Filters with more to come including the tanks & stands...lol

Unread 05/17/2015, 05:32 AM   #2442
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Out with the Old in with the New, the Old Overcoat which I have had for 11yrs now was simply to small overall (tight shoulders, short length)... This is the New Overcoat I took a couple of snaps in and if you didn't know/realize it is the same coat from the movie 'Van Helsing' that Hugh Jackman wore, it should be obvious that my characters 'layout' is based around the design of Hugh Jackmans in the movie 'Van Helsing' + an Eye Patch...

The obvious difference is yet to be apparent the embroidery (which should be done in the next 2 weeks) once that is all done and in place then it will all make sense.

Unread 05/27/2015, 07:09 AM   #2443
Kharn
MANTISMAN

So much stuff....lol and not even any tanks or stands yet.

Unread 05/27/2015, 08:04 AM   #2444
Martini5788
Registered Member

WOW that's a lot of stuff. Holy crap

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 12:19 AM   #2445
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini5788 View Post
WOW that's a lot of stuff. Holy crap
I put most of it up online by now and at least half has sold

Still need to do the tanks Grrr...

Unread 06/21/2015, 06:58 PM   #2446
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I have returned to my Mantis Realm and the people here couldn't be happier!

It's time to finish this flow through system and get back into the 'thick' of it!!!

Stay Tuned for many updates

Unread 06/21/2015, 07:11 PM   #2447
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I'm working on a new video a bit of a teaser trailer that will only be around 30secs long but should be up by the end of the day.

Just a video on my 'return'

Unread 06/22/2015, 03:18 AM   #2448
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Unread 06/23/2015, 08:44 PM   #2449
Kharn
MANTISMAN

A trailer to YouTube exclusive Mini Series should be up by end of day, it focuses on a few different species of Stomatopods specifically.

Make sure you stay tuned for the 'Cretaceous Kings', coming very soon!

Unread 06/28/2015, 04:47 AM   #2450
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Pump Progress!

Ran out of 25mm PVC pipe but will get heaps tomorrow.

There are 3 primary areas to take note of with the Pumps Plumbing.

#1 - Plumbing from ocean to pump (not installed yet).
#2 - Plumbing for a Priming Tank (in case / for when the pump looses suction due to clog, there will be a 20L reservoir above that ball socket so it can gravity fill the pump with water).
#3 - Plumbing from Pump to Aquarium (all in place).