Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2013, 05:01 PM   #751
laredo300c
Registered Member

hi peter, i am a big fan of your tank.

my wife is finally really into reefing with me, after i showed her your tank videos on youtube. maybe this has been explained but why did you stop making the beautiful, breathtaking videos after the open house video?

laredo300c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 03:08 AM   #752
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Glad the worms seem to be under control, and I agree that best growing conditions and feeding maximize natural resistance. My coral theory is that quantity and proximity of coral to one another help feed each other, thus providing even more food.

Unread 11/02/2013, 10:27 AM   #753
ShippD
Registered Member

Hello all,
I found this thread from a link over on ********* so i thought i would have a look see last Sunday and well started reading the first thread before the split read a bunch of pages went to sleep Monday woke up read a few then said hey i want to read it all so called myself and fired myself for the week lol so here i went 317 then 31 and all the videos customers calling all week i was like umm i am on vacation call back next week lol. I just had to register to the forum and way glad i found the links to this thread and glad i read it from page 1 to now,and now i am onto the other chingchai thread.
So I just wanted to say OMG WOW Holy $%%#$T Batman amazing work from you all and look forward to more.Thanks to team Nineball for the great contribution to the hobby aka fulltime job lol...

Oh one question i know you are and all are busy but how about the webcam of the tank?

Unread 11/02/2013, 10:39 AM   #754
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShippD View Post
Hello all,
I found this thread from a link over on ********* so i thought i would have a look see last Sunday and well started reading the first thread before the split read a bunch of pages went to sleep Monday woke up read a few then said hey i want to read it all so called myself and fired myself for the week lol so here i went 317 then 31 and all the videos customers calling all week i was like umm i am on vacation call back next week lol. I just had to register to the forum and way glad i found the links to this thread and glad i read it from page 1 to now,and now i am onto the other chingchai thread.
So I just wanted to say OMG WOW Holy $%%#$T Batman amazing work from you all and look forward to more.Thanks to team Nineball for the great contribution to the hobby aka fulltime job lol...

Oh one question i know you are and all are busy but how about the webcam of the tank?
I'm always amazed and humbled by folks who take the time to read through the whole thread. Thanks for the positive feedback. I do want to put up a web cam and have been experimenting with a number of different makes. So far I haven't really found anything I am happy with. When I do I will broadcast but it might be a while yet.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 09:39 PM   #755
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

We were recently honoured with a visit from someone from the Vancouver Aquarium. They were nice enough to give me a tour of the Vancouver Aquarium a couple days ago. Not only was it super cool to see the aquarium behind the scenes, it also made my trip out west tax deductible

IIRC, their reef tank is 2500 gallons. They use a Joe Yaiullo style prop pump for flow, (14k) 400w metal halide lights, GFO, an MRC protein skimmer and ozone.

They have a vey large Hydonophora, large colonies of Pocillipora and a lot of blue and red mushrooms. They use natural seawater collected from the harbour.

Their cold water marine collection is world class. They do their own collection close to the North Pole and breed a variety of species unique to them. The curator informed me that they used to cut ice for packing fish, but with recent warming, they have to make their own ice, which was saddening to hear.

Here are some pics...

mr.wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 09:53 PM   #756
Elliott
Registered Member

great shots and summary, thanks for sharing with us!

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 10:01 PM   #757
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
great shots and summary, thanks for sharing with us!
I did the lighting for the reef tank at the new Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto. I'll take some pics this week and post them. I made some custom 500w LED pendents with five channels.

mr.wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 10:04 PM   #758
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
I did the lighting for the reef tank at the new Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto. I'll take some pics this week and post them. I made some custom 500w LED pendents with five channels.
500w LED pendents?!? Wow

that 2500g reef at Vancouver Aquarium looks so natural in your FTS's

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 10:09 PM   #759
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson
I did the lighting for the reef tank at the new Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto.
Any... um.. spare passes going to waste... maybe?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 11:46 PM   #760
jdvalero
Registered Member

Very nice!

jdvalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2013, 01:58 PM   #761
CRJ
Registered Member

I had a feeling you would be behind something at the ripleys aquarium! looked great!

Peter, when is your next open house? I missed the past few and would LOVE to see this beauty in person. Ya know, to give me idea and wish i had a larger space

CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2013, 07:09 PM   #762
dtum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
I'm always amazed and humbled by folks who take the time to read through the whole thread. Thanks for the positive feedback. I do want to put up a web cam and have been experimenting with a number of different makes. So far I haven't really found anything I am happy with. When I do I will broadcast but it might be a while yet.

Peter
Peter, take a look at the Dropcam. They are currently selling in States only, but I'm sure you could pick one up. Their HD version might just work for you.

Unread 12/17/2013, 02:44 PM   #763
mil hse
just frag it

Peter,
I'm sorry to hear about your wife being sick. I hope she gets better soon. I just wanted to say thank you for keeping us posted on the progress of the tank and life as a lot of us have been with you from the beginning. We all know how life throws challenges at us. It's just a matter of over coming them. In life and in reef keeping. Your tank has been a true inspiration to us all. And we appreciate the info you and Mr. wilson have provided and can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Current Tank Info: 240 w/75 sump mixed reef running since Jan 2012 and 120SPS w/300+gallon sump in fish room in construction, 136QT (2x54 1-28gal corners) floor to ceiling QT system in construction, and 60 cube w/ 40 breeder.
mil hse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2013, 04:01 AM   #764
bjensen1253
Registered Member

From a true Reef Enthusiast, All I have to say is im speechless.
Im absolutely blown away, iv spent the last 10+ hours reading through 3 years of a build thats just unbelievable. Iv forwarded it to all of my reefing friends and im sure they will be as blown away as me. Absolutely incredible.

bjensen1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2013, 09:46 AM   #765
Salt Kreep
Registered Member

How goes the battle with your corals Peter? How have you decided to tackle it, and is it working.

Salt Kreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2014, 09:29 AM   #766
Moonfroz
Registered Member

Hello Peter

I took me a while to get back up to date on your thread. I have been busy restarting my own 180g tank.

I was very sad to hear about your flatworm infestation on all your SPS. Do your gorgonians doing well?

In 2014, I am planning to go in Toronto area to buy coral because in Montreal we always get the same ones.

Best wishes and success for 2014!!!

Bye

Moonfroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2014, 05:40 PM   #767
jlemoine2
Registered Member

Happy New Year, Peter. I hope all is well with the wife and reef.

Quickly scanning the last several pages of the thread, there does not appear to be one new tank shot of the tank in 2013. I'm sure the community would settle for a picture that is nothing more than a quick snap from a camera phone. Perhaps Mr Wilson could do so on one of his maintenance visits?

Take care!

-James

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef w/ 40 gallon frag tank.
jlemoine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2014, 07:45 PM   #768
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemoine2 View Post
Happy New Year, Peter. I hope all is well with the wife and reef.

Quickly scanning the last several pages of the thread, there does not appear to be one new tank shot of the tank in 2013. I'm sure the community would settle for a picture that is nothing more than a quick snap from a camera phone. Perhaps Mr Wilson could do so on one of his maintenance visits?

Take care!

-James
try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnahr9Hr2z8

This is two days old. There is also a short clip of the Maroon Clowns done at the same time.

Hope that works.......

Peter

Unread 01/03/2014, 11:40 PM   #769
dave.m
Registered Member

Spawning maroons for those who missed it.

Dave.M

Unread 01/04/2014, 09:46 AM   #770
jlemoine2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnahr9Hr2z8

This is two days old. There is also a short clip of the Maroon Clowns done at the same time.

Hope that works.......

Peter
That works great! Thanks Peter. I appreciate the prompt reply.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef w/ 40 gallon frag tank.
jlemoine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2014, 09:56 AM   #771
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Thanks very much Dave, it's always nice to know you are out there. If it ever warms up and it's safe to travel for those who don't own a Bentley Supersports ISR (Ice Speed Record) then we are overdo for a visit. Look forward to seeing you.

Peter

Unread 01/04/2014, 01:31 PM   #772
dave.m
Registered Member

Thx very much, Peter. I've been waiting for a weekday clear enough to go in and see the Ripley aquarium. Maybe we could co-ordinate something when the weather is less chancy.

Dave.M

Unread 01/05/2014, 07:37 PM   #773
benjc
Registered Member

I just spent the past two weeks reading all 350 pages; first and foremost, I hope your wife's health is improving. Second I'd like to express my admiration of what you have undertaken and accomplished. Notwithstanding the significant financial commitment required to achieve what you have, the time and effort you and the entire team have expended to bring the tank to fruition couldn't possibly be overstated. The discipline to strive for "the best" and not merely good-enough is both commendable and a rare trait. I would like to thank you for documenting the build so thoroughly, Mr. Wilson for the wealth of knowledge within the thread (particularly before the split), and Dave for setting up the website.
To those that haven't read the original thread, I highly recommend it. It is both fascinating (ex. the discussion of lighting back when LEDs were first really coming into their own), and contains tons of useful information. Again, thank you for sharing your slice of the ocean with the rest of us.

benjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2014, 11:02 AM   #774
mseepman
Registered Member

Thought I would give the thread a little bump to see if you ever figured out what is still damaging your SPS corals?

Current Tank Info: 290g Starfire Peninsula
mseepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2014, 11:19 AM   #775
chingchai
Premium Member

Peter. Hope everything is fine with your family.
Long long time no talk.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote