Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2017, 02:42 PM   #1
rffanat1c
Registered Member

Plumbing a bulkhead

So I am plumbing my new 180 and have four bulkheads. The return side is no problem. Its the drain side I need help with. All bulkheads are barbed and I can’t figure out how the heck I am going to bend such large braided tubing for the drains.

Can I slip pvc on the inside of the larger bulkhead using transition cement or should I just use non braided tubing? My last tank I screwed on a pvc threaded piece and glued the rest. I now learned that is improper since its not meant for that even though it never leaked.

I’d prefer keeping it all flexible if I can. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 03:24 PM   #2
lapin
Registered Member

The drain side does not have near the pressure as the pump side. It is ok to run non braided flex hoses with clamps to keep them form coming off the barb.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 05:02 PM   #3
outy
Moved On

important.

while you have them out of the tank, take the nut and rubber washer off and make sure you clean up the casting mark on he plastic where the rubber gasket sits.

many of mine have leaked until I clean that up.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 06:00 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yeah, there's almost no pressure on the drains so no braided hose needed. BTW those barbed bulkheads that come with the ML tanks stink, to put it mildly. If you put any lateral torque on the barb (by trying to bend the hose) they'll snap off.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 06:37 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

Personally, I would replace them with real bulkheads so that you can plumb them properly and be done with it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 09:41 PM   #6
rffanat1c
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. They are from aqueon but probably same stuff. I messed with them pretty hard in my last tank with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote