Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2009, 07:25 AM   #251
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

Spike: When feeding do you turn off the HOB (Carbon filtration) for a time?

I feed with selcon and I figured that prob gets filtered out. I bought one of these (The white cord) to make it easier to turn on/off the carbon filter while feeding.. but was curious to know your thoughts?

Don't mind the wire mess, I took off some of the wire-organizer tubing when I took this shot... fun fun maintenance.

Current Tank Info: 100G Half Cylinder
Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 06:16 PM   #252
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquabucket
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Sorry I did not respond to this sooner. I just cram enough in the bag so it completely fills the chamber this way the water has to flow through the carbon. I also use a dead coral skeleton to keep the bag wedged down at the bottom of the HOB.

On another note the tank is still doing real well and my pipefish is eating frozen baby brine. I also made some cash off several frags the last few weeks. You can hardly tell that I even cut quite a few things back.
Thank you.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 12:32 PM   #253
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Electrobes
Spike: When feeding do you turn off the HOB (Carbon filtration) for a time?
Actually that's the only thing I leave on I just crank back the flow to the lowest setting. I also use cords like that but I just unplug them from the quad boxes. I was too cheap to get the ones with the switches. I need all the exercise I can get these days.

Your welcome 2_zoa!

I suppose I will post some current pics soon. I just picked up a small hand held Archos media player at the local Circuit City here for a pretty good price. I have plenty of room for pictures and this is a good excuse to get the tripod out.

Unread 01/22/2009, 12:41 PM   #254
GoBigOrGoHome
Registered Member

Takin advantage of Circuit City's liquidation, eh Spike??

Current Tank Info: 15 tanks of varying sizes, 8-110 gal, 11 fresh, 4 salt
GoBigOrGoHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 12:53 PM   #255
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GoBigOrGoHome
Takin advantage of Circuit City's liquidation, eh Spike??
You bet!!! And I was lucky as there was only one left. I even pleaded them down from the price they were asking @ first and that was pretty low.

This thing has a 30 gig hard drive and wi-fi internet access. It plays all my videos and music and has more capabilities than any I-pod. I took a chance as they have a very strict no return policy in effect.

I also discovered I have a free open wi-fi connection coming from the College down the block.

Last edited by Aquabucket; 01/22/2009 at 01:06 PM.
Aquabucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 12:55 PM   #256
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Double post!! Dang software.

Unread 01/22/2009, 01:35 PM   #257
GoBigOrGoHome
Registered Member

Awesome! St. Norbert's must have some pretty strong signals comin out...

Current Tank Info: 15 tanks of varying sizes, 8-110 gal, 11 fresh, 4 salt
GoBigOrGoHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 09:36 PM   #258
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

I finally got the surface skimmer and after about 2 hours of semi-construction, I realized I didn't need the tubing, works great! Thanks for showing your version... it's a great help for only about 10 bucks!

After seeing the lack of viewable machinery in your tank I tried the same, surprised it turned out as good as it did as I think the flow patterns are better

Unread 01/22/2009, 10:11 PM   #259
Aquabucket
Premium Member

That worked out really slick! That looks like some nice rock too. You did a great job at hiding the equipment. Once some corals grow in up top you won't be able to see anything at all. Thanks for posting the pics!

Unread 01/22/2009, 11:15 PM   #260
MvM
Registered Member

Wow!

MvM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 09:25 AM   #261
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

Oh I always forget to mention this part for others using the surface skimmer. My MJ-900 is too heavy for the suction cups of the surface skimmer to hold it. I took out the top suction cup of the surface skimmer, put a MJ tank clip on it (Via the suction cup hole of the MJ) and then put the suction cup back on the surface skimmer. I know this has to be confusing, but read it and then look at the pic.. I think y'all know what I am trying to say.

Spike: I still can't get over your tank, I am hoping others voted for you for TOTM, especially if you're considering an upgrade soon!

Unread 01/23/2009, 10:39 PM   #262
2_zoa
Registered Member

Okay I hope I am not to late. How do I vote. This tank and Spike has got my vote.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2009, 06:21 PM   #263
kev apsley
Moved On

Skimmerless Rules the Day!!!!!!! I am Skimmerless as well and never had an issue (knock on wood) lots of microfuana and food flowing in the water column!! happy crazy PE too

kev apsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 03:45 PM   #264
guntercb
Registered Member

Electrodes,

Do you just have the surface skimmer hooked up to the MJ and blow the skimmed water straight back into the tank? I assume this just helps break up the film on top of the tank? Anything else?

Cheers,
Chris

guntercb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 04:09 PM   #265
dzeadow
Premium Member

Quote:
I had a little more fun with my pod tank today. I upgraded the lighting to a 6 bulb clip-on LED ($12). Its also battery powered but I could make it work with an AC adapter down the road. I also added some more rubble and macro algae, removed the miracle mud and replaced it with sand. The miracle mud had way too much metal and silicate content that I did not want it in such a small tank.

Here are some new pics:

Hey Aquabucket, where'd you get this LED light and how do you like it since you put it on? I"m looking for a supplemental light for a 10g cube tank i built that's a display fuge, for $12, it'd be worth a try.

Current Tank Info: Dual 50 Breeder system, 30g custom sump/fuge, MSX200, Tank1-6x24T5 retro, Tank2-4x39T5 retro
dzeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 07:47 PM   #266
Aquabucket
Premium Member

The light I am using is kind of useless for growth. Most of the light the tank gets is sunlight. Anyway I got it at a local Menards.

Unread 02/02/2009, 07:56 AM   #267
guntercb
Registered Member

Aquabucket,

I have a couple questions:

1. When you originally started your tank you were running polyfilter, why did you stop? Do you think the cheto works better?

2. You had a deep sand bed when you started, but now it looks like you are running a 1 to 1 1/2" sand bed. Why did you go shallower? Do you like a shallow sand bed?

3. Lights - I believe you originally started with 6 T-5s, but then switched to 4 T-5 at 39 watts. Now you over drive the 4 T5s. Do you think over-driving is the way to go? Does it limit your bulb life? And how do you know when to change bulbs?

4. You have had a yellow tang in your tank. Did you ad it for an algae problem and then get it out of your tank?

I have always loved your tanks and always subscribe to each of your treads. I am sure that I could weed through everyone of your treads and find the answers above, but I hope you don't mind me asking. Keep up the great work. You make me want to downsize to a 40!

Cheers,
Chris

Unread 02/02/2009, 09:26 AM   #268
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by guntercb
Aquabucket,

I have a couple questions:

1. When you originally started your tank you were running polyfilter, why did you stop? Do you think the cheto works better?

2. You had a deep sand bed when you started, but now it looks like you are running a 1 to 1 1/2" sand bed. Why did you go shallower? Do you like a shallow sand bed?

3. Lights - I believe you originally started with 6 T-5s, but then switched to 4 T-5 at 39 watts. Now you over drive the 4 T5s. Do you think over-driving is the way to go? Does it limit your bulb life? And how do you know when to change bulbs?

4. You have had a yellow tang in your tank. Did you ad it for an algae problem and then get it out of your tank?

I have always loved your tanks and always subscribe to each of your treads. I am sure that I could weed through everyone of your treads and find the answers above, but I hope you don't mind me asking. Keep up the great work. You make me want to downsize to a 40!

Cheers,
Chris
I simply stopped running the polyfilters because the store I worked for at the time stopped stocking them.

I went to shallow sand bed when I switched from the 30G to the 40. I did it only because I wanted a heaver grain size and did not like the look of a DSB from the sides. I also like to stir the bed up once and awhile to prevent detritus from building up. Having a heavier grain size cuts down on the sand getting up into the water column.

I had 6 bulbs back when I stocked a lot of SPS. Having 6 bulbs made it difficult to stock softies and some LPS as it was too much light for them. After almost all my SPS crashed due to the tank reaching 93 degrees I decide not to stock them anymore. All my LPS and softies survived the heat wave.

I seem to get just as much life out of my overdriven bulbs as before and I believe the reason is because they are cooled very well. I really can't tell when the bulbs need changing but blackened ends are a good sign. The blue and actinic bulbs should be replaced after a year even if not overdriven IMO. The phosphors on those bulbs simply break down over time. The daylight bulbs last significantly longer. I really like the intensity of the overdriven bulbs and the colors it gives to my corals. Also there is no need for individual reflectors with the overdriven bulbs IMO. I run my bulbs very close to the water surface and reflectors would require a lot of cleaning and maintenance.

I raised 2 small yellow tangs to combat a red macro algae. One is now in a 120 and the other is in a 210. Both are alive and doing quite well for their new owners. I still have some of the macro algae but it is only in areas now where it can't overtake any of my corals.

Unread 02/02/2009, 11:13 AM   #269
RiverOtter
Registered Member

Great tank! I have a 50 gal that thanks to this thread just got its rock redone to get it off the back wall. I do not have a skimmer and after reading this I will stop worrying about it. I am going to set up a preskimer like yours and put some money into a couple nicer power heads.

Thanks for the great ideas and giving some of us with less money to throw into the glass box hope!

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef 55gl FW
RiverOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2009, 11:43 AM   #270
guntercb
Registered Member

Quote:
I simply stopped running the polyfilters because the store I worked for at the time stopped stocking them.

I went to shallow sand bed when I switched from the 30G to the 40. I did it only because I wanted a heaver grain size and did not like the look of a DSB from the sides. I also like to stir the bed up once and awhile to prevent detritus from building up. Having a heavier grain size cuts down on the sand getting up into the water column.

Aquabucket,

Thanks for the information. You say you stir your sand bed to prevent detritus build up. Do you put a mechanical filter in your hob before you stir up the sand? Do you stir the sand prior to doing a water change?

Also, how many hours a week would you say you spend on your 40 gallon? I like the simplicity of your system and I want to copy your success.

Cheers,
Chris

Unread 02/02/2009, 04:35 PM   #271
Aquabucket
Premium Member

The HOB has a bag of carbon in it almost all the time. I always stir the bed up during water changes otherwise I will stir it up if I think it needs it.

I spend a little bit of time on my tank almost everyday. Kind of like tending to a small garden. Totaled all together it can't be more than 1-2 hours a week.

RiverOtter ~ Glad you enjoyed my threads and tank. I wish you the best of luck on yours. Feel free to post some pics of it some day.

Unread 02/02/2009, 04:40 PM   #272
dwd5813
Registered Member

how's the pipe doing?

what can i say? in dog beers, i have only had one. - dublo8

Current Tank Info: 40B aiptasia farm
dwd5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2009, 05:32 PM   #273
Aquabucket
Premium Member

He is doing great and is eating frozen baby brine now. At night he and a green chromie sleep right next to each other. Here is another video I shot of him hanging out with my clam.

Unread 02/02/2009, 05:47 PM   #274
dwd5813
Registered Member

he looks great! still no issues with the lps you have in there bothering him, huh? i guess he picks and chooses where to hang out.

what can i say? in dog beers, i have only had one. - dublo8

Current Tank Info: 40B aiptasia farm
dwd5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2009, 05:54 PM   #275
Aquabucket
Premium Member

LPS corals don't phase him a bit. He likes to explore and will perch on any coral in the tank with no problems.