Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2019, 10:55 AM   #1
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Semi Automated water changes, thoughts?

I am looking for ways to make my water changes easier and I think I have a simple solution (adopted from my Discus tank).

The plan is to have 2 Brute cans, probably 32g. The first will have a 3/8" float valve attached inside. I will use a series of 3/8" tubing and fittings to slowly drain water via siphon. When the Brute is full the float valve will stop the tank from draining any more water.

The other Brute will have a 1/4" float valve, pump, and hose. The float vale and 1/4" tubing will be there to allow me to easily fill the can with fresh RO/DI without having to monitor it. Once full I will add Salt and use the pump (with attached hose inside can) to mix for 24-48 hours.

When it comes time to do a water change, I would just have to wheel the cans next to the tank, attach hose from new water container to rim of tank, plug pump into ATO, and start a siphon into the dirty collection container. By using this method the clean water would be added as the sump level drops to the ATO switch activation point and add only enough clean water to replace the water that was removed. This would allow for about 75% water change over several hours and could be done easily several times a week if desired (though not needed).

What do you think? I have been using this basic system on my Discus tank, changing ~30g daily. I hook it up every night and let it run while I sleep. In the morning I hook the clean water can to the RO/DI and let it fill while I am at work, and repeat each day. I know it is not fully automated, but MUCH better than the bucket method, and less time invested in water changes.

Unread 06/25/2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

If it works on fresh it should work on salt.