Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2017, 01:08 AM   #26
sam.basye
Registered Member

Do it!

You could combine the two and make the island out of foam, that way you get a more versatile island. Create structures off the island you normally couldn't do with rock alone. Just use a lot of rock and silicone it down when you're done so it doesn't go anywhere.

If you decide to come over to the foam side, post pics!

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 08:50 AM   #27
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

I am not going to have a sump for my ten gallon but the wall will hide filters etc. This tank has been up for 7-8 months, so I might add some soft corals to start it out, and a rbta. This qt won't be for treating ich or other disesaes but for fish to get used to eating the food that I feed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon rimless saltwater reef tank and many more
fabulousfavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 08:51 AM   #28
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

I don't know why my pics turn out sideways does anyone else see that. Maybe it's just a thing that the pixel 2 does.

Unread 12/19/2017, 08:54 AM   #29
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

I stuck in the egg crate for now but when I get dry rock I will attach it to the egg crate. I am also thinking about growing coral off the egg crate, are you going to do this.

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:47 AM   #30
sam.basye
Registered Member

Rotated it for you, using the Tapatalk app.

Sounds good!

Here's a picture of my 26g in it's prime with coral everywhere. The foam is great for wedging frag plugs into. Just cut a slot and cram! Don't make the hole too big or you'll end up with a loose plug that will continually fall out...

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 12/19/2017, 09:49 AM   #31
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Wow looks great, I️ hope I️ can pull something off like that. May go to pick up some soft corals soon as I️ am on break and have infinite time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:55 AM   #32
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

What foam did you use, sry if you posted it and I️ forgot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 12/19/2017, 10:11 AM   #33
sam.basye
Registered Member

30 Cube Foam Rockwall Reef Tank

Thanks!

Guess I forgot to add that info..
I used Great Stuff Pond and Stone, not the generic yellow insulating foam. It does have a yellow cap though.

I've used 3 different brands, but great stuff is the cheapest and no noticable differences between the 3. I think I paid $8.74 for each can off Amazon.

I've used 3 different brands, but great stuff is the cheapest and no noticable differences between the 3. I think I paid $8.74 for each can off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/GREAT-STUFF-S...XR6F2NDRKS95EH

I also used black aquarium safe silicone this time. It MUST be aquarium safe. It took me months to figure out why I couldn't keep anything alive in the 2.5g until I found a tube of old silicone in the closet and decided to check the instructable thread and sure enough, there was a picture of the non-aquatic silicone being used!
One more reason why a build thread is helpful.

Foam Wall
Unread 12/19/2017, 10:42 AM   #34
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Making progress! I'd love to see pics of the system setup, with sump, etc. So you struck a deal with the ex-landlord?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 10:57 AM   #35
sam.basye
Registered Member

I'll get pics up tonight. Gonna start jig-sawing after lunch!

Still trying to determine what PVC I'm going to glue and not glue. Probably only going to glue the ball valves and everything behind the back panel, but not sure if I will for the interior plumbing yet. Just in case I need to change stuff..

Well, the ex-landlord came up with a deal and I decided to go along with it so it all ends..

Foam Wall

Last edited by sam.basye; 12/19/2017 at 10:52 PM.
Unread 12/19/2017, 09:32 PM   #36
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Finally picked up some coral. Bowlopho gave me some Xenia and a month frag. Should be getting the rock for the background around Christmas, at which point I will pull out the egg crate and make the background.

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:32 PM   #37
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

*Monti

Unread 12/19/2017, 10:45 PM   #38
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Some pics of the frags.

Unread 12/19/2017, 11:12 PM   #39
sam.basye
Registered Member

Nice. I've got some Xenia floating around. That almost looks like a Digitata.

Got all the plumbing done! Minus the gluing, which I've decided to pretty much just glue all of it.

I started the cutting using my jig saw, but it wasn't cutting as clean as I was hoping. I then whipped out the oscillating tool and it worked much better. Easier to reach the tighter spots.

Still gotta mount the timer, mp10 controller, and ATO.

I set up the plumbing so I can shut off both the return and drain lines and open the crossover to recirculate the sump of I want to clean the display, etc. Also I something happens, each line can be shut off

Foam Wall
Unread 12/20/2017, 01:40 AM   #40
kampo
Registered Member

baffeless, sockless sump? just asking because thats the way i'm leaning, I have always been pretty minimalistic in my fresh tanks on filtration, let nature do what nature is supposed to and well if nature is going to do work for me I rather not clean filters every few days lmao.

just curious if thats how you ran your previous tank?

kampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 09:04 AM   #41
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Nice pluming. I decided to just do soft plumbing for my 55. Xenia has opened up this morning and looks much better. Had to put it as my profile pick.

Unread 12/20/2017, 09:06 AM   #42
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

The Xenia that I got was pulsing but it isn't anymore. I think they just have to heal themselves before they return to normal state.

Unread 12/20/2017, 10:31 AM   #43
sam.basye
Registered Member

My previous tank didn't have a sump. I had the hob skimmer, heater and canister filter which I left empty because it was a major pain to get to, behind the foam wall with a mp10 on the right side glass.

I too am not big on cleaning filters, but I will be running at least a filter sock just to keep the water clearer than the previous tank. Baffles I'm still on the fence about. Going to see if I need them before I buy some. I tried looking, but didn't find much..

I won't have the socks till after Christmas as Santa is hopefully bringing me some. Lol

I found this sock holder on eBay for only $10 and it's really nice solid acrylic that comes in either clear or black.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112245252417

Xenia make a better pic than nothing! Haha
I can't recall what made my Xenia pulsate. It might be higher lighting?

Foam Wall
Unread 12/20/2017, 11:45 AM   #44
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That cabinet shot is tight! Nice work. Now, how about a full-monty shot with lights, tank and cabinet?

Unread 12/20/2017, 06:41 PM   #45
McPuff
Registered Member

I have nearly convinced myself that I'll do some type of wall for my next build. The scape is pretty clear in my mind how the back wall would integrate into the out-croppings (as it were). Anyway, I have to pay attention to how this is done! And then practice on a small scale at some point!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 10:02 PM   #46
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sam's technique is the best I've seen. He's got a thread on it. You've got the best rockscape I've seen. Combining what you two do would make my head explode.

Unread 12/20/2017, 10:27 PM   #47
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Then add Michael Hoaster to top it off with some macro!

Unread 12/20/2017, 11:02 PM   #48
sam.basye
Registered Member

Hahaha

That combination would get flagged for sexual content!

Plumbing is all done and no leaks so far. Standpipe is very loud, but going back to Lowe's tomorrow to make a durso for it.
Not enough flow from the return nozzles with the tall head height and in line UV. Soo, either need ½" loc-line or a bigger pump.. decisions!

Foam Wall
Unread 12/20/2017, 11:06 PM   #49
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Nice, that stand is awesome w/ the tank

Unread 12/20/2017, 11:29 PM   #50
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

2/3 monty. What are you doing for lighting this time?

I started to make a suggestion on your plumbing, and decided I had no business. I'm not qualified! And who wants a plumbing suggestion right after they finish their plumbing? Not me!

Would your return pump be strong enough without the UV inline? If so, maybe you could just buy a smaller (cheaper) pump to feed the UV on a closed loop in the sump. A bigger return pump is an easy fix, now that you're rolling in it. It'll likely be louder, but it's in the fish room, so you're gold!

See how I did that? Those weren't suggestions. They were suggestions OF suggestions. Totally different…