Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2010, 02:00 PM   #1
aleonn
Registered Member

Question Difference between TLF Phosban 550 and BRS Jumbo Reactor?

I'm looking for a reactor to run 1000-1250mL of bio-pellets in my new 180g system (will start in a few months after cycle ends and some livestock has been added). I'm deciding between the TLF Phosban 550 and BRS Jumbo Reactors. Both seem to have similar media capacities, but TLF's unit is about half as expensive.

I understand that I'll have to create a mesh to replace the foam for the TLF unit to prevent clogging. Other than that, are there significant differences between the two?

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 02:10 PM   #2
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

I am going to be running a TLF 150 filled with the BRS pellets for my 150g system. You should only need 250mL per 50g water VOLUME. Unless you have a giant sump, your 1-1.25L of media is going to be overkill. My understanding is it won;t hurt anything, but you also don't need that much.

Unread 10/27/2010, 02:14 PM   #3
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

I realize I didn;t really answer your original question. While I have no first hand experience *yet), so far I have read more people using the TLK (or similar) reactors for pellets than anything else. This may simply be out of necessity or because people have them laying around and available for fairly cheap.

Unread 10/27/2010, 04:48 PM   #4
aleonn
Registered Member

Thanks, LOTR. I didn't catch that system "volume" part. I'll have to recalculate my volume after I place my rocks and get my 60g refugium running. It looks like I'll purchase the TLF Phosban 550!

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brs, phosban reactor, tlf