Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Njhc
Registered Member

Lightbulb LED grow light panel? $25 bucks?

After massive research of getting a great LED for little money. I currently have halides and some t5 and compacts however I'm looking for that WOW FACTOR that will make my coral glow*

After looking at YouTube and other sites I was told the 225 LED 14watt lights will not only make coral glow but they are CHEAP!!

Has anyone used these before? Good stories bad etc?

I don't want to make my own light nor do I want to spend another 200to$3000 for lights.

Please give me your opinions and recommendation . It will be greatly appreciated from me along with others that read this! Thanks again!!! Have a great reef!

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS, 46g LPS, 29g nano
Njhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Njhc
Registered Member

How about SMD LEDs?

Unread 06/13/2011, 04:41 AM   #3
nanojg
Registered Member

.06 watt LEDs are not going to cut it (14/225)

nanojg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Curious George
Registered Member

I don't have LEDs, but I have been doing some homework and am preparing to buy them. From what I gather, 2-3 watts is the minimum for growth--depending on tank depth.

Curious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2011, 06:48 AM   #5
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

I use one, but I have non-photosynthetic corals. I haven't put anything under to the LEDs to watch it die, but 4 years of experience tell me these panels are no where near bright enough for corals. Its a good idea, but wont work. Its does light up the area well, but that's about it. Probably be good for FOWLR tanks as well, but no corals.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2011, 06:52 AM   #6
hbubble
Registered Member

Ha Ha Good one. We have a great little 45gal anenome tank that is doing well with the LED Maxspect S system. Few zoe's and birds nest growing well. 8 months since set up.

hbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2011, 06:59 AM   #7
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbubble View Post
Ha Ha Good one. We have a great little 45gal anenome tank that is doing well with the LED Maxspect S system. Few zoe's and birds nest growing well. 8 months since set up.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Maxspect is few high power LEDs that have the penetration needed to get the light to the corals under water. The Ebay panels are many, many low power LEDs.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
Unread 06/13/2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Njhc
Registered Member

Nice, thanks exactly what I thought. Does anyone have a recommendation for LEDs that will help grow along with a great color pop, I've been told CREE LEDs work wonders however you have to put them together yourself ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWINGRRRR View Post
I use one, but I have non-photosynthetic corals. I haven't put anything under to the LEDs to watch it die, but 4 years of experience tell me these panels are no where near bright enough for corals. Its a good idea, but wont work. Its does light up the area well, but that's about it. Probably be good for FOWLR tanks as well, but no corals.

Unread 06/13/2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Njhc
Registered Member

So 3 watt minimum is the consensus to have good growth? Can SMD LEDs have this power if you add a driver?

Unread 06/13/2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Didac
Registered Member

the 3 watt whites cree leds look yellows...

Didac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2011, 02:41 PM   #11
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

In my opinion, Cree are the way to go. And yes, you will have to put it together yourself. I think that if you have the skills and equipment, DIY is the way to go. I dont think the Cree's "look yellow." It all depends on the bin that you get. At least the lit up color they don't, to me. But when they are turned off, the emitter is a yellow color. Im not sure what Didac meant by that fragment. Cutter is probably the best place to get them. They are in Australia so you have to wait about 2 weeks to get them in.
Here is my build thread from way back when. Plus there are tons of other build threads and info out there.
My LED build

Unread 06/14/2011, 03:13 PM   #12
SkullV
They Got My Number

Has anyone tried these just to supplement an already sufficient T5HO setup? Just for shimmer?

SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2011, 03:23 PM   #13
nanojg
Registered Member

the t5s would overpower them

Unread 06/14/2011, 08:42 PM   #14
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Has anyone tried these just to supplement an already sufficient T5HO setup? Just for shimmer?
I think there have been several threads with guys doing that. Also I thought Icecap was selling LED T5 tubes for that purpose. LEDs but in a T5 wrapper so to speak. Of course IC went under but another company picked it up. Ill have to research it but I know I saw it on a popular reef blog. So I don't see how they would over power the LEDs.

Unread 06/14/2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Njhc
Registered Member

Can you please give us some more info on this?
I'm seriously frustrated looking for a cheap alternative.
Quote:
I think there have been several threads with guys doing that. Also I thought Icecap was selling LED T5 tubes for that purpose. LEDs but in a T5 wrapper so to speak. Of course IC went under but another company picked it up. Ill have to research it but I know I saw it on a popular reef blog. So I don't see how they would over power the LEDs.

Unread 06/15/2011, 11:40 AM   #16
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

This guy did it with and ATI Sunpower.
Sahins thread

I'm still looking for more. But fill free to search as well.

Unread 06/15/2011, 12:16 PM   #17
nanojg
Registered Member

Quote:
This guy did it with and ATI Sunpower.
Sahins thread

I'm still looking for more. But fill free to search as well.
Those are high powered leds, not cheap low powered ones! Low powered leds will disapear with decent t5s turned on (think moonlights when main lights are on)

Unread 06/15/2011, 12:17 PM   #18
nanojg
Registered Member

Quote:
T5s are pretty bright, that is how they would over power low powered leds.

Unread 06/16/2011, 08:27 AM   #19
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanojg View Post
Those are high powered leds, not cheap low powered ones! Low powered leds will disapear with decent t5s turned on (think moonlights when main lights are on)
That is what I thought we were talking about, Cree. Yes, you must use high powered LED to supplements T5. Other than just light for fish, 1W LED have no use in reef tanks. FOWLR yes, reef no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanojg View Post
T5s are pretty bright, that is how they would over power low powered leds.
OK I'm convinced.
To the OP: As you can see there are very many varying opinions on LEDs as there are people. Best to do as much research as you can and make up your own mind. I have been dealing with LEDs for approximately 1.5 years, and was one of the first to start coding the Ardunios. There is no cheap alternative to LEDs. It will save you money in the long run, but cost up front. It just is what it is. IMHO, DIY is the way to go. But that's just me.

What size tank are you putting them over? (That way we can help give info for your set-up.)

Unread 07/25/2011, 05:48 AM   #20
undertai
Registered Member

you could maybe find a fixture that uses 1watt leds. But say for my aquapod 24g I would need about 100 LEDS; to get the same amount of light I'm getting from my DIY fixture. I running 25 3w leds. My next fixture i'm building; i'm planning to use 3 10w SSC P7 leds with 10 3w cree royal blues. Just to see what will happen. :-)

undertai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2011, 06:20 AM   #21
SoFloReefer
Registered Member

DIY LEDs are the only way to go if you are trying to save money. CREE makes the best LEDs. It really doesn't take any skill to put one of these fixtures together. There are dozens of examples on the internet to follow. You don't even have to solder if you don't want to.

Unread 08/26/2011, 09:48 PM   #22
nikon187
Registered Member

[QUOTE=hydrofarm;19204170]Why not try a 120W LED aquarium light , placed on 3w LED Chips , super power ,
Just $125 USD , only one is enugh for your tank , that save you lots of time and money to buy Cree chips and a light by yourself, From a lot test results , cree chip is the most expensive LED chip , but not the No.1 in the word !!!!![/Q

The drivers for the 1w and 3w led are different.

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2011, 10:12 PM   #23
SoFloReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didac View Post
the 3 watt whites cree leds look yellows...
Depends on which "white" LED you are referring to but over all that is a stupid statement.

Unread 08/26/2011, 10:55 PM   #24
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrofarm View Post
Why not try a 120W LED aquarium light , placed on 3w LED Chips , super power ,
Just $125 USD , only one is enugh for your tank , that save you lots of time and money to buy Cree chips and a light by yourself, From a lot test results , cree chip is the most expensive LED chip , but not the No.1 in the word !!!!!
This is the second post I have seen from this user. They give very little detail and don't help at all with a question.

My bet is shilling.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2011, 11:08 PM   #25
spieszak
Registered Member

Theres a thread around here somewhere with a track lighten bar using par38's...not much dig too it...expense depends on how many you need for coverage...about 100 bucks a bulb....

Tags
diy light, halides, led, new lights, t5s