Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2018, 05:44 PM   #1
docwells
Registered Member

Skimmer collection cup float switch?

I currently run a DC 150. I was wondering if it is possible to attach a float switch to inside of the skimmer collection cup lid to turn off the skimmer when the cup is full or overflowing? I am looking for possible back up methods. I perform regular maintenance on the skimmer but would like to have a back up for oveflowing. I like redundancy.
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 69 gallon AGE rimless starphire tank in progress...
docwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:38 PM   #2
carmexx
Registered Member

I have a float switch on a container that catches the skimmate so it drains from the skimmer cup through a tube in the bottom of my reef octopus skimmer.drilled a hole in the lid for the container and mounted the float switch. I run digital Aquatics RKE controller.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

carmexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:46 PM   #3
docwells
Registered Member

Thanks for that reply. I hadn't thought of an external container with float switch. I was thinking more of a float switch on the actual skimmer collection cup

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:09 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

This is a float switch kit that is designed to do exacly what you are looking for. It uses a high quality micro float switch mounted to a CNC machined PVC assembly that is designed to fit through the vent holes in the collection cup lid. The mount has the float switch off set to that once installed, you can rotate it to move the float away from the side of the collection cup. You can also adjust the switch up and down to allow the cup to accumulate as much skimmate as possible given the length of the float. It includes wires to connect it to an aquarium controller such as the Apex, Profilux or any other controller that supports standard float switches. It also has a quick disconnect plug that allows you to disconnect the switch cable if you need to remove your lid. That way you don’t need to disconnect cables from your controller. This won’t work unless you have a controller though since it’s just a normally open/closed switch.
https://aquadriverusa.com/products/u...ashdown-models

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 03/12/2018 at 08:16 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 05:13 AM   #5
docwells
Registered Member

Thanks slief. That is what I am looking for. I'll be ordering.

Unread 04/01/2018, 09:48 PM   #6
slimfitz
Registered Member

I to have been wondering about this. Is that a quick connection in the pictures to unplug it. I have been wondering how I would wash the lid if its still attached to my breakout box

slimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 08:12 AM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfitz View Post
I to have been wondering about this. Is that a quick connection in the pictures to unplug it. I have been wondering how I would wash the lid if its still attached to my breakout box
If you’re talking about the one in my link, that quick connect is so you can unplug the switch when removing the lid so you don’t have to disconnect from your breakout box.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 05:13 PM   #8
slimfitz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
If you’re talking about the one in my link, that quick connect is so you can unplug the switch when removing the lid so you don’t have to disconnect from your breakout box.
Awesome, Yes I was talking about the one in your link.

slimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote