Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Icewing726
Registered Member

Tank not level (yes another thread)

Facts:
Tank: 150 SC Aquarium 60x24x24
Floor: Concrete under carpet with thick pad
Stand: RJ enterprise birch stand (sheet to support glass and a lip)
Stand weight: ~200lb
Tank weight: ~2500lb
Level Issue: Right side is 1/4 to 9/32nds higher then the left//.26ish degree slope based on water level measurements.
Side Load on Stand: including stand weight its about 11lbs

Questions:
1) Is this a safety issue? (Please include reasoning as opposed to the blanket everything must be level answer. Plenty of heavy items have tolerances)
2) How heavy can an object be and still be shimmable? (Sand, Rock, and sump are installed. Water could be drained down but I'd like to hear from people as to what worked in real life. Basically can I get a shim in there?)
3) This stand is in the corner. What risk do I have of this stand settling lower in time which would make the shims a problem in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 11:19 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

1) all visual issues only.. Very little structural/safety issues with it being off level by that little amount..
2)You can shim it.. May take using a long crowbar to get the whole system up or driving composite shims under it but its most certainly addressable..
3)In general at this point the tank is unlikely to change much if any as the carpet/pad is already compressed and while there can be some plastic creep overtime its unlikely to change much if any now.. 99% of the deformation has already occurred..

If you want to fix it you can.. If not its fine..

Unread 04/17/2018, 11:25 AM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

My 180 is not level by about the same amount and has been since I set it up a few years ago. So far not a problem and do not expect it will be.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 11:37 AM   #4
Icewing726
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, ive got the visual issue figured out (powerhead making a few waves in that corner). Its the 11 lb force that worries me.

Anyone know if shimming is possible if I remove a lot of water? Or will it still be too heavy?

Unread 04/17/2018, 11:40 AM   #5
carrots
Registered Member

I have a 125 gallon 6 foot long tank that settled the same 1/4 inch..It has been 6 years now and no issues. But seeing the water line did drive me nuts. To hide the water line I used some 1/2 inch tape and ran it the length of the tank just under the top trim.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 11:44 AM   #6
Icewing726
Registered Member

Really appreciate the replies, the water line did bug me until I aimed the powerhead at it. Now it raised a ripple up a quarter of an inch.

Unread 04/17/2018, 12:05 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
Anyone know if shimming is possible if I remove a lot of water? Or will it still be too heavy?
It can be shimmed without taking any water out of it..
Shim under the stand not the tank..

Unread 04/17/2018, 12:08 PM   #8
Icewing726
Registered Member

Was asking because of the weight of the tank...

Unread 04/17/2018, 12:37 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
Was asking because of the weight of the tank...
I know... I had no problem in the past shimming under a 120G tank + 60G of sump/fuge full of water/rock/sand,etc... when I needed to years ago..
Just needed a simple crowbar and a block of wood as the fulcrum.. (I think it was a 36" crowbar)

Unread 04/17/2018, 12:47 PM   #10
Icewing726
Registered Member

Sounds good, guess ill see if i can make anything happen. Otherwise I'll leave it be (thats a lie I'm way too much of a worrier). Thanks everyone!

Unread 04/17/2018, 01:36 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I know... I had no problem in the past shimming under a 120G tank + 60G of sump/fuge full of water/rock/sand,etc... when I needed to years ago..
Just needed a simple crowbar and a block of wood as the fulcrum.. (I think it was a 36" crowbar)
It does sound like a two person job though, or did you kick the shim in?

My water line is right at the rim line on the low end so when the return is on I never see the water line. If I shimmed I think that the space along the floor line might drive me crazy.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 01:56 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
It does sound like a two person job though, or did you kick the shim in?

My water line is right at the rim line on the low end so when the return is on I never see the water line. If I shimmed I think that the space along the floor line might drive me crazy.
I stuck the crowbar under.. put a block and pressed down as a pushed the shim in and moved along the edge as needed.. As it was in carpet,etc.. you couldn't even see the shims as I only needed like 1/4" or so and that stayed hidden in the carpet..
It really wasn't that hard at all...

I move 8-10k pound machines at work all the time rearranging the factory with just a 6ft riggers pry bar/boards to get it up then onto rollers or whatever as needed.. That typically takes 2 guys on the bar but sometimes its quite amazing what a simple lever allows you to do

Unread 04/17/2018, 01:57 PM   #13
hijinks
Registered Member

I'd make sure to add a lot of shims down the side of the tank just so all the pressure isn't on that single shim

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 03:46 PM   #14
tarlon
Registered Member

Use 2 or 3 "pump wedge" to raise and then shim it. that way i level my 180g

tarlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 10:04 PM   #15
Icewing726
Registered Member

Ok, I leveled the tank without any immediate pain and suffering. Now left to right over the course of 60 inches is off by maybe like 1/32nd and front to back is now off by about 1/16th maybe 3/32nds... Honestly I think I'm ok with that. Thank you for all the advice on this thread guys, seriously wouldn't have even attempted this without your advice.

One last question if anyone cares to answer. I have shims under the entire exposed tank now but I had to double up slightly on some under the feet to elevate it. Since I did that on some do I need to do the same thing on all? I had to use the hammer to get the last bit under while doing this, not sure if that means everything is snug enough.

Unread 04/19/2018, 10:05 PM   #16
Icewing726
Registered Member

Btw front to back is 24 inches

Unread 04/20/2018, 05:01 AM   #17
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If its level.. Its level..And if feet aren't floating its fine..

Single shims also don't get jealous of other shims laying on each other so you are good there too..

Unread 04/20/2018, 05:03 AM   #18
Icewing726
Registered Member

Cool, thanks again everyone!