Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2018, 05:19 AM   #451
docwells
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I would suggest a sump depth of 6.75" and a nozzle setting of 4.5 turns out from fully closed. It will take some fine tuning of the nozzle to find the sweet spot for your system. Generally, the skimmer will find stability between 4 and 5.5 turns out on the nozzle. When the nozzle is set properly, the line where bubbles turn to foam will be around 2" or a bit more below the white collar where the cup attaches to the body with the wedge pipe fully open. From there, you use the wedge pipe to adjust from wet to dry. Keep in mind that it will take several days for the skimmer to fully break in so you will likely need to do your final tuning after a week or so. Also, it's best to use gloves when making the nozzle adjustments so the oils from your skin to impact the skimmer forcing you to wait hours before the skimmer settles back down in order to see the results from your adjustments.
I have a question about my DC 150 also. I just moved my tank and reset the system. Prior to move, the skimmer was in 7 inches of water and nozzle open 4.25 runs. I cleaned my skimmer, pumps and dreambox since I was moving. I set it up the skimmer like prior. The skimmer is overflowed which I expected and is still overflowing 4 days later. I did put collection cup on it and pull the drain plug. I experimented with the set up and lowered water to 6 inches and closed nozzle to 1 turn. I was trying to see if I could stop the overflowing and start producing good foam. That only seemed to decrease some of the overflowing but nothing else. The only difference between the 2 systems is I added some more cured rock.

So I would like to know if you think the above settings are where I should start and let it settle down over the next week. Just want to get skimmer back to it normal good skimming

Current Tank Info: 69 gallon AGE rimless starphire tank in progress...
docwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2018, 07:32 AM   #452
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells View Post
I have a question about my DC 150 also. I just moved my tank and reset the system. Prior to move, the skimmer was in 7 inches of water and nozzle open 4.25 runs. I cleaned my skimmer, pumps and dreambox since I was moving. I set it up the skimmer like prior. The skimmer is overflowed which I expected and is still overflowing 4 days later. I did put collection cup on it and pull the drain plug. I experimented with the set up and lowered water to 6 inches and closed nozzle to 1 turn. I was trying to see if I could stop the overflowing and start producing good foam. That only seemed to decrease some of the overflowing but nothing else. The only difference between the 2 systems is I added some more cured rock.

So I would like to know if you think the above settings are where I should start and let it settle down over the next week. Just want to get skimmer back to it normal good skimming
The move likely resulted in additional organics in the system. Decrease the depth to the 6.75” or so and then open the nozzle up beyond the 4.25 turns. Continue opening until you find a spot that it no longer overflows. Once the tank settles in, then fine tune.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2018, 10:14 AM   #453
docwells
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I will make adjustments today after work

Unread 04/05/2018, 06:18 PM   #454
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:

You could also try letting it overflow into a cup, pull the drain plug and run the overflow into a 5 gallon bucket. This is a trick I always do when I'm trying to pull out any meds/chemicals in the tank that overflows the skimmer after the treatment is done.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 05:20 AM   #455
docwells
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me the size of tubing (ID) that will fit over the ozone port of a DC 150? Trying to get my ozone set up this weekend.
Thanks

Unread 06/07/2018, 07:49 AM   #456
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the size of tubing (ID) that will fit over the ozone port of a DC 150? Trying to get my ozone set up this weekend.
Thanks
8mm. You should be able to use 1/4” ID tubing between the skimmer and Ozone generator..

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 06/07/2018, 05:33 PM   #457
docwells
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply

Unread 06/11/2018, 03:46 PM   #458
docwells
Registered Member

I got the ozone generator set up over the weekend. I'm using a Ozotech Posideon 200 ozone generator. My ORP seems to rise slowly and the generator has been running continuously since this weekend. I was thinking it would not have to run continuously as my tank is only 70 gallons.
I know the skimmer pumps pulls in the ozone, but has anyone had to use an air pump on the air dryer to push more ozone. I have used a pump in the past when using an ozone reactor but thought it would not be needed when using the skimmer set up. I would think this would push too much air in the skimmer and cause it not to operate as efficiently.

Unread 06/21/2018, 09:55 PM   #459
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
I got the ozone generator set up over the weekend. I'm using a Ozotech Posideon 200 ozone generator. My ORP seems to rise slowly and the generator has been running continuously since this weekend. I was thinking it would not have to run continuously as my tank is only 70 gallons.
I know the skimmer pumps pulls in the ozone, but has anyone had to use an air pump on the air dryer to push more ozone. I have used a pump in the past when using an ozone reactor but thought it would not be needed when using the skimmer set up. I would think this would push too much air in the skimmer and cause it not to operate as efficiently.
What was your orp when you started the ozone and what is it now?

Unread 06/22/2018, 04:49 AM   #460
docwells
Registered Member

My ORP was 340 when I started. And this morning it was 378. So looking at increase of 38 points over roughly 2 weeks

Unread 06/22/2018, 05:05 PM   #461
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I have less than a year under my belt using ozone but I may have a few suggestions for you.

It makes a big difference where your ORP probe is placed in comparison to where your ozone injection is. I had the probe sampling water in a remote refugium initially and the numbers didn't move quickly. It took much more time as it dissipates. Moved it into the sump and just down stream of where the ozone exits the skimmer and immediately saw much higher values when ozone was on. Then the values would drop quickly when turned off. If the probe isn't near your source, your numbers tend to reflect the fact that the ozone depletes quickly and the overall tank (and refugium) isn't really getting inundated with ozone.

If you take your skimmer cover off while ozone is running, you should be able to smell the ozone. Its a very noticeable smell.

At what level do you have your controller set to turn off your ozone? I'd check that.

Unread 06/24/2018, 10:09 AM   #462
docwells
Registered Member

I have run ozone before but always used an ozone reactor. This is the first time I have used a skimmer to inject my ozone into it.

I would expect the amount of ozone measured coming out of the skimmer to be the highest levels as the ozone is injected there. This would not be a true reading of the tank in my opinion. I think having the probe in another location away from the exit of the skimmer would give a more true reading of the tank ORP.

When I take the skimmer cover off, their is a faint smell of ozone. This lead me to ask if an air pump is needed to get more ozone into the skimmer.

My Apex is set to turn off ozone at 390.

Unread 06/24/2018, 02:27 PM   #463
GQuinn
Registered Member

I Have a Bubbleking Mini 180 that I bought new from you. This skimmer was a little loud when I first got it and it is slowly getting louder. It has a terrible vibration that is easily heard thru the basement and first floor. If I removed the air it is silent. Once air is added it gets a terrible vibration. I have checked the bushing in the rear multiple times. I have taken this skimmer apart multiple times and I am extremely frustrated. How loud is this skimmer supposed to be, as I thought Bubblekings were supposed to be quiet. I need to send this to you so you can look at this. I have had many skimmers thru the years, and this is one of the loudest. The skimmer is in 8 1/2 inched of water currently. The water depth appears to have no effect on the noise. I also have a DC180 and that skimmer is dead silent.

Last edited by GQuinn; 06/24/2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Content
GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 02:29 PM   #464
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Should be very quiet - sounds like something is not right.(pun intended)
Scott will reach out to you... we’ll get you taken care of!

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 02:41 PM   #465
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
I Have a Bubbleking Mini 180 that I bought new from you. This skimmer was a little loud when I first got it and it is slowly getting louder. It has a terrible vibration that is easily heard thru the basement and first floor. If I removed the air it is silent. Once air is added it gets a terrible vibration. I have checked the bushing in the rear multiple times. I have taken this skimmer apart multiple times and I am extremely frustrated. How loud is this skimmer supposed to be, as I thought Bubblekings were supposed to be quiet. I need to send this to you so you can look at this. I have had many skimmers thru the years, and this is one of the loudest. I also have a DC180 and that skimmer is silent.
It’s very odd that it’s silent when you don’t have the airline connected. How old is this skimmer? How deep is the water level in the sump? Only time I have encountered issues regarding vibrations has been when the screws that hold the motor base plate into the body are too loose or too tight such that the intake nozzle doesn’t align well through the hole in the body or if the bubble plate assembly ins’t centered and is instead off center and touching the body or if the bubble plate is loose and the upper plate is vibrating. That wouldn’t however account for your observation where it is silent without the airline connected though the vibrating bubble plate could be impacted by the addition of air. Do you have the ozone port on the pump capped off so it’s not pulling water in from the ozone port or have the red ozone tube connected and above water? When was the last time you cleaned the foam filter in the silencer?

Unread 06/24/2018, 02:55 PM   #466
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
It’s very odd that it’s silent when you don’t have the airline connected. How old is this skimmer? How deep is the water level in the sump? Only time I have encountered issues regarding vibrations has been when the screws that hold the motor base plate into the body are too loose or too tight such that the intake nozzle doesn’t align well through the hole in the body or if the bubble plate assembly ins’t centered and is instead off center and touching the body or if the bubble plate is loose and the upper plate is vibrating. That wouldn’t however account for your observation where it is silent without the airline connected though the vibrating bubble plate could be impacted by the addition of air. Do you have the ozone port on the pump capped off so it’s not pulling water in from the ozone port or have the red ozone tube connected and above water? When was the last time you cleaned the foam filter in the silencer?
The skimmer is about 6 weeks old. It is silent with no air. It is in 8 1/2 inches of water. I actually have tried loosening and tightening the screws. I took it apart earlier today. I do not have the ozone port capped off I looked at the foam silencer and it looks good.

Unread 06/24/2018, 02:57 PM   #467
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The skimmer is about 6 weeks old. It is silent with no air. It is in 8 1/2 inches of water. I actually have tried loosening and tightening the screws. I took it apart earlier today. I do not have the ozone port capped off I looked at the foam silencer and it looks good.
Do you have the red ozone tube connected to the ozone port?

Last edited by slief; 06/24/2018 at 03:05 PM.
Unread 06/24/2018, 03:07 PM   #468
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have the red ozone tube connected to the ozone port?
No. I did not see a red ozone tube.

Last edited by GQuinn; 06/24/2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Content
Unread 06/24/2018, 03:14 PM   #469
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
No
Try plugging the ozone port on the pump and see if it persists or connect tubing to the ozone port to see if pulling air in there helps. With the ozone port uncapped, you are pulling both air and water into the venturi chamber within the nozzle so capping the port off so it can’t draw water or adding tubing to the port so it can draw air could solve it as this could be the result of cavitation cause by both air and water entering the venturi chamber within the nozzle. Also, with that port open to draw water, you will get excessive salt creep in the venturi port where the silicone air tubing connects to the nozzle.

Unread 06/24/2018, 03:27 PM   #470
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Try plugging the ozone port on the pump and see if it persists or connect tubing to the ozone port to see if pulling air in there helps. With the ozone port uncapped, you are pulling both air and water into the venturi chamber within the nozzle so capping the port off so it can’t draw water or adding tubing to the port so it can draw air could solve it as this could be the result of cavitation cause by both air and water entering the venturi chamber within the nozzle. Also, with that port open to draw water, you will get excessive salt creep in the venturi port where the silicone air tubing connects to the nozzle.
I just tried both options that you suggested. I do not see a difference in the vibration noise. If I put my DC180 in the same sump it is dead quiet. I can email you a short video if you want.

Unread 06/24/2018, 03:28 PM   #471
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I just tried both options that you suggested. I do not see a difference in the vibration noise. If I put my DC180 in the same sump it is dead quiet. I can email you a short video if you want.
PM Sent.

Unread 06/24/2018, 04:21 PM   #472
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
PM Sent.
Thanks Scott. It is definitely better.

Unread 06/24/2018, 04:30 PM   #473
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Glad to help!

Unread 07/08/2018, 09:19 AM   #474
chowder
Registered Member

Quote:

What was the solution? I had the same problem but mini was out of warranty so I replaced it with dc180 which is dead silent. My mini 180 works but is relatively noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2018, 09:43 AM   #475
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder View Post
What was the solution? I had the same problem but mini was out of warranty so I replaced it with dc180 which is dead silent. My mini 180 works but is relatively noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loosening the screws on the base. If they are too tight, there is pressure applied where the nozzle goes in through the body into the pump. Also pushing the nozzle into the pump too far can induce a bit of noise as well so pushing it all the way in and then pulling it out a fraction of an inch is best.