Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2017, 10:33 AM   #176
Crack1sWak
Registered Member

Hope the starfish turns out to be nothing. Would hate for something to happen with the tank.

Crack1sWak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 07:21 AM   #177
BigDave
Registered Member

The starfish ended up not being 'nothing'. My green birdsnest is gone. We went on vacation for a few days and when we got back, there was nothing left but the skeleton.

The other SPS don't look much better. They still have color, but that's about it.

The LPS and mushrooms in the tank seem to be ok.

I'm not sure what to do about the starfish. There's too many to try and hand pick. I thought about a Harlequin shrimp, but I don't think I'd be up to the care and feeding it would require after the Asterina's were wiped out.

I also don't think it's all the Asterina's. The white ones seem to leave everything alone, it's just the dark colored ones I've caught on the bird's nest.

I haven't seen any on the new SPS.

Right now the tank is kinda just sitting there. I haven't had much extra money, so I haven't added any new livestock to the tank since early June.

I did see a nice looking tank that was mostly softies and LPS. My understanding is those can be easier to maintain. I was thinking about starting to head down that path. The T5's on the tank might do better with those types of corals to begin with.

I'm not completely set on doing SPS and acros, I just want something with movement that will grow and be healthy.

I also need to get some more fish into the tank. All my fish tend to swim around and then sit somewhere. I think my next purchase will be a Kole Tang and my Flame angel. Those will be my two larger fish in the tank. Maybe even add a yellow tang.

My skimmer also seems to be a bit underpowered for the tank. I was looking at larger skimmers. I'd have to redo part of my sump... mostly moving my macro algae somewhere else so I can put the skimmer where it currently sits.

The fans I added to the tank are doing very well. For the most part my chiller is only having to run once a week or so. My wife is home for summer break, so the house has been kept a little cooler. That's probably helped too.

I have the fans kick on half a degree cooler than the chiller does. Both cooling devices lower the temp by 1 degree before turning off. So if the fans kick on at 80.5 degrees, then the chiller kicks on at 81. The chiller then kicks off at 80 and the fans kick off at 79.5 .

Between the two, the tank has been a lot more stable on the temperature side. My evaporation rate has pretty much doubled. I went from burning 10 gallons a week to closer to 20 gallons.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 10:07 AM   #178
youcallmenny
Registered Member

To answer your question about the white spots, those are snail eggs. Nerite, I believe. I wouldn't count on them doing much.

As for the asterina's, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. It's pretty rare to find the bad ones. I've never seen them do anything negative in my tank and they're all different colors. Typically these little buggers pop up because there are excess nutrients not being consumed elsewhere in the bioload. Continue to add some CuC and they'll diminish.

Interested to see what path you choose for coral and fish. I have done the flame angel and yellow tang but ended up removing both of them because they're both super aggressive and the flame angel picked on LPS constantly. I have a kole eye tang too but he's in my attached 40b anemone tank and he only has a pair of clowns living with him so he's pretty laid back. Be aware that these have a reputation for being the most aggressive of your selections if put into competition. Bristletooth tangs like the Kole Eye can have major attitudes.

Subbed. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. Really neat tank dimensions. Keep up the good work!

youcallmenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 08:27 AM   #179
BigDave
Registered Member

No updates from the last few months. Tank is 'surviving'.

Dragon goby died. I don't think the tank was established enough with enough pods for him. Need to find some other type of sand sifter as there's algae growing on the sand. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't care for it.

Otherwise, it's just normal maintenance for now. The soft corals and zoas are growing. All the SPS are gone. I don't think I'll bother with those any more.

Unread 09/17/2017, 07:42 AM   #180
MK3_LUV
Registered Member

Just re-read through this thread again, I didnt catch that you were in DFW! I live over in Lewisville

But I was wondering, do you QT your new fish? If not, i would start doing so immediately. It seems like you are losing a lot of fish, that might help you out some

MK3_LUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 11:16 AM   #181
BigDave
Registered Member

I don't typically quarantine.

None of the fish I've lost was due to illness. Even if I quarantined, a lot of the fish that died were in the tank longer than I would have quarantined for.

The fish I've lost were mostly due to bad choices on my part. The cleaner wrasse harrased most of the fish that died and killed them. The matted filefish never ate. The Dragon goby seemed to only eat what he could catch and slowly got skinny.

The 3 fish I have right now are some of the first ones I bought almost a year ago now. The engineering goby is getting quite large and is starting to venture out to eat when I feed instead of just grabbing what he can. The bi-color blennie no longer hides and changes colors when I walk up to the tank. The Citrinis goby (first fish I bought) is a little pig and will eat everything I let it.

Unread 10/02/2017, 07:39 AM   #182
BigDave
Registered Member

After waiting over a month since the last death and letting things stable a bit more, I added some new stock over the weekend.

I picked up a flame angle and a sand-sifting star. The engineering goby is getting larger and has now taken up residence under two of the main rocks instead of just the first one. I'm not sure if he would start harassing any other gobies in the tank, so I'm not sure if I'll try adding any more gobies.

The flame looked very healthy in the store and is out and about already.

Just a few more fish and then I'll be done stocking.

Unread 01/03/2018, 08:31 AM   #183
BigDave
Registered Member

It's been a few months since the last update. The tank is still going well. Coraline is starting to take off, so I need to start scraping the glass instead of just hitting it with the mag float. The GSP are spreading again and one of my mushrooms split.

It's really odd, but it seems like when the GSP is doing well, the zoas don't, and when the zoa's are doing well, the GSP doesn't.

The temps started dropping again, so I had to make some quick changes to the water storage outside. I finally got a second pump installed on the fresh water tank in a closed loop to keep water circulating in it. It was 40º outside when I started working on it, so I threw it together pretty quickly. I'll be making a quick arduino setup with a relay for turning the pumps on/off when the air gets below freezing. Right now I have to manually run outside and turn the pumps on.

Nothing else on the tank itself has changed. I still haven't finished the Kalk reactor, and I still want to replace the skimmer with a better one.

Mostly just enjoying watching the fish grow. Here's some quick pics and a video of the starfish turning itself over and another video of a feeding time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hEuETmyo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCKW0twbgHQ

Unread 01/31/2018, 10:35 AM   #184
BigDave
Registered Member

Had the first outage due to the Automated Aquarium this last week.

The relay for the heaters stopped working. I got an email that the temperature in the tank had dipped below 75 degrees. I got home from work to a tank that was at 74 degrees. I did some quick troubleshooting. Then I ran an extension chord from a close-by wall outlet and plugged the heaters straight into the wall.

I ordered a new relay board and on Sunday spent 15 minutes swapping the bad board with the new one.

Now I have a 'bad' 8 channel board that I can take my time replacing just the relay on it.

I was thinking about picking up a third heater, setting it's temp to 75 degrees and plugging it straight into the wall. That way if the relay dies again, it will keep it from dipping too low. Since my controller is set to come on at 76, this heater should never run except if the relay dies again.

Honestly, the 74 degrees wasn't too bad.

I took some pics, but there's nothing to really look at. It's jus a sainsmart relay board sitting in an electrical box.

No livestock was lost due to the chillier temps.

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:59 AM   #185
callsign4223
Registered Member

IME, colder is easier on the livestock than hotter. From what I've seen in my tank and from shipping livestock, they can sustain a 10 degree drop a lot better than a 10 degree rise

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 06:59 AM   #186
BigDave
Registered Member

My closed loop pump developed a weird squeal a month or so ago. It was intermittent and would happen for a few seconds and then stop for half an hour or so. I figured it was a seal or bearing going out.

Last night I finally got around to taking a look at the pump really closely. I noticed a lot of build-up of salt between the pump housing and the motor around the shaft. I turned the pump off and took a knife to it. I managed to knock all of the build-up off.

Turned the pump back on and the sound is gone.

I also have sand stuck in the ocean's motions again. I adjusted some of the plumbing to keep the water flow throughout the whole tank and am waiting for this weekend to take it down for a cleaning again.

I'm thinking that this time I'll redo some of the plumbing on the back of the tank. Having the ocean's motions sitting horizontal isn't working too well and it's a royal pain when trying to service it. I'm going to extend the 1.5" pipe going to it and move it so that it's up above the back of the tank. Then the smaller runs will be shorter. That's the idea at least. We'll see how it actually goes once I start running the pipes. I'll need to figure out how to brace the pipe going up the back of the tank. I don't think it will support the weight of the ocean's motions on its own.

Unread 04/29/2018, 11:01 AM   #187
BigDave
Registered Member

Spent a lot of time on the tank yesterday.

I replumbed the Ocean's Motions so that it's easier to remove for maintenance. It's now mounted at the top of the tank with shorter runs to the water.

Last edited by BigDave; 04/29/2018 at 12:04 PM.
Unread 04/30/2018, 07:10 AM   #188
BigDave
Registered Member

And a picture of the new plumbing.

Unread 06/12/2018, 06:49 AM   #189
BigDave
Registered Member

Minor updates...

One of the motors on the storage had a crack in the impeller housing. I didn't notice this when I first installed it (got it used), but it's been wasting water for a few weeks now. Probably about 10 gallons a month or so. I was dump and hard-plumbed the pump.

I don't really want to tear into the plumbing to add unions at this point, so I used some silicone, some rubber gasket material, and a pipe clamp and made a bandage for it. I'll get around to replacing the pump housing and replumbing everything at some point.

On the tank itself, I ordered a new skimmer. I went with the Reef Octopus 150-S. It will hopefully be here before this weekend so I can get it installed.

I've started working on a 3 doser setup controlled by a ESP8266. I'm hoping to put a web front end on it where I can put the frequency and amount to dose each one and let it run. It will use NTP time to get the time of day during start up so I don't have to worry about power outages. Once I get it tested out in the garage I'll switch over to dosing the BRS chemicals. I need to start testing parameters again more and start watching things.

Unread 06/16/2018, 07:14 AM   #190
BigDave
Registered Member

Upggrayed!!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Unread 06/16/2018, 06:00 PM   #191
bigtank
Premium Member

Skimmer looks legit. Back when I set up my first tank almost 18 years ago, there were all kinds of skimmers available. Now it seems like needle wheel is pretty much the way to go.

bigtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 04:37 PM   #192
BigDave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtank View Post
Skimmer looks legit. Back when I set up my first tank almost 18 years ago, there were all kinds of skimmers available. Now it seems like needle wheel is pretty much the way to go.
It's the 152-S. If I read all the notes on it correctly, it should be a little larger than my current bio load. BRS says it's good up to a 200 lightly loaded. I'm currently running a lightly loaded 120+30 gallon sump.

It's still breaking in, but it's already pulling some good tea out. It's doing better than the Aqua-C HOB I had in the sump prior (which I knew was undersized but it's all I had).

Unread 04/04/2019, 01:00 PM   #193
BigDave
Registered Member

Things change.

The wife and I are looking at moving this summer. We put our house on the market on Monday. For the time being, I have shut down the tank and moved all the equipment to the garage.

I'm hoping to set it back up at the new house. I'd like to take that time to upgrade the recirc pump to a dc pump and replace the lights with LEDs. We'll see how it goes.