Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 09:22 PM   #1
thefuz
Registered Member

250 External setup help

Hello. I'm working on setting up a BK250 external skimmer and have a few questions on setup.

Before I get started with those, I suppose I should ask whether or not this is appropriately sized for my reef.

250 gallons total volume mixed reef (mostly SPS)
Reeflo Hammerhead return w/manifold -> gate valve to drive skimmer
15 medium-sized fish that are fed fairly heavily (autofeeder for dry 2x daily, 3-4 cubes worth nightly, nori daily)

1. Skimmer is above the sump. How much volume will backflow into the sump?
2. I don't have a flow meter on the input. Any rule of thumb on water level height within the skimmer body?
3. Anything else askew with my setup?

Thx!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1053-sm.jpg (71.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1055-sm.jpg (66.2 KB, 19 views)
thefuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 09:34 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuz View Post
Hello. I'm working on setting up a BK250 external skimmer and have a few questions on setup.

Before I get started with those, I suppose I should ask whether or not this is appropriately sized for my reef.

250 gallons total volume mixed reef (mostly SPS)
Reeflo Hammerhead return w/manifold -> gate valve to drive skimmer
15 medium-sized fish that are fed fairly heavily (autofeeder for dry 2x daily, 3-4 cubes worth nightly, nori daily)

1. Skimmer is above the sump. How much volume will backflow into the sump?
2. I don't have a flow meter on the input. Any rule of thumb on water level height within the skimmer body?
3. Anything else askew with my setup?

Thx!
Your setup looks fine. I do think the 250 is a bit oversized for your load and may not be all that consistent due to the neck size relative to your load but running it wet will help compensate for that. How much is anybodies guess but it should work OK. It’s a GREAT skimmer and you have plenty of room for lots more fish.

As for flow, I’d recommend between 300-500 GPH or so going into the skimmer. Its more a matter of finding the sweet spot based on foam density and skimmer performance. You aren’t using the flow going into the skimmer to determine the level inside the skimmer. Instead you will be using the wedge pipe to set the level inside the skimmer. You can easily estimate the flow by using a measuring device and timing how long it takes to fill it up then doing some math. You will want to use the wedge pipe to get the line where bubbles turn to foam up to the base of the collection cup where it attaches to the skimmers body. That will be your driest skim setting unless you have a really heavy load relative to the skimmer size which you aren’t even close to.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 10:53 AM   #3
thefuz
Registered Member

Sweet - thanks for the tips, slief!

I'm still in test mode and need to make sure it won't flood the sump during power failure. Towards that end, I think I'm going to install a check valve in line. I haven't used those anywhere in my setup yet. Any issues with check valves and a skimmer like this?

Also have a Swabbie to keep the neck clean.

Any rule of thumb on bioload with these skimmers?

Unread 02/25/2018, 11:36 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Sweet - thanks for the tips, slief!

I'm still in test mode and need to make sure it won't flood the sump during power failure. Towards that end, I think I'm going to install a check valve in line. I haven't used those anywhere in my setup yet. Any issues with check valves and a skimmer like this?

Also have a Swabbie to keep the neck clean.

Any rule of thumb on bioload with these skimmers?
As for check valves, I can’t imagine why you would need one of your sump is sized sufficiently. It’s not like the skimmer holds that much volume. Personally I am not a fan of check valves and avoid them at any cost. It’s not if they fail but instead when will they fail. If you need to depend on a check valve to prevent floods, then I’d take a step back and figure out how to increase your sump volume or what you can do to mitigate the issue without a check valve.

A heavy load is 1/2” of fish per display gallon and when it come to the tank size ratings, the low end of the range equates to a heavy load and the skimmers should be sized based on display volume. These skimmers are also very conservately rated.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/01/2018, 10:19 AM   #5
thefuz
Registered Member

250 External setup help

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
As for check valves, I can’t imagine why you would need one of your sump is sized sufficiently. It’s not like the skimmer holds that much volume. Personally I am not a fan of check valves and avoid them at any cost. It’s not if they fail but instead when will they fail. If you need to depend on a check valve to prevent floods, then I’d take a step back and figure out how to increase your sump volume or what you can do to mitigate the issue without a check valve.

A heavy load is 1/2” of fish per display gallon and when it come to the tank size ratings, the low end of the range equates to a heavy load and the skimmers should be sized based on display volume. These skimmers are also very conservately rated.

Yup. I hear ya on check valves. I adjusted dump volume and tested the power out situation. Looks good.

This thing is a beast!

Unread 03/01/2018, 05:07 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Looks REAL good!!

Unread 03/03/2018, 07:46 AM   #7
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Looking good! With regular maintenance on the pump, she'll run for many many years! The externals really are wonderful skimmers, and with the DL design has great flexibility in tuning.
Feel free to post up a picture of the tank, or link to a build thread if you have one.

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:05 AM   #8
thefuz
Registered Member

Thanks - the skimmer continues to perform beautifully. Pleasure to work with so far though now I've gotta upgrade my skimmate export process. Draining into a bucket is unpleasant at best.

Is there a spec on the drain hose or recommended type to use for extending the drain?

Build thread <-- time to refresh/update this puppy; thanks for the reminder!

Unread 03/12/2018, 02:59 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks - the skimmer continues to perform beautifully. Pleasure to work with so far though now I've gotta upgrade my skimmate export process. Draining into a bucket is unpleasant at best.

Is there a spec on the drain hose or recommended type to use for extending the drain?

Build thread <-- time to refresh/update this puppy; thanks for the reminder!
No. You can use a 1/2” silicone hose or what I use is a 1/2” Magnum quick connect valve to extend my hose. I like to keep the valve closed so I can see what the skimmer is doing in terms of skimmate. A sudden increase in skimmate can indicate a clogged venturi port or something going on in the tank. As such, I like keeping the valve closed and drain as needed.

This is the valve I use for my drain line. It connects to the existing drain and I extend it from there.
https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Ma...um+quick+valve

Unread 03/12/2018, 07:09 PM   #10
thefuz
Registered Member

Yup, bought that one last week on your reco, thanks! It's just right.