Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2018, 07:44 AM   #1
tony73
Registered Member

Wink Help me in the choose of right skimmer

Hi all
I want to change skimmer for my 80 gallons sps reef tank.
What do you think about Bubble King double cone 180 with RD3?
I wnat to be sure it's not too oversized for my tank, because maybe in next year I will change my current tank with a new one of 120 gallons, but I don't want to eraise the current one

tony73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 10:04 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

I thinks it's too large unless you have an awful lot of fish. i would normally suggest the Mini 160 or Double Cone 150 but if you are definitely going to upgrade then you might as well go with the Double Cone 180 and run it wet to keep it consistent.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 11:15 AM   #3
tony73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I thinks it's too large unless you have an awful lot of fish. i would normally suggest the Mini 160 or Double Cone 150 but if you are definitely going to upgrade then you might as well go with the Double Cone 180 and run it wet to keep it consistent.
Rd3 speedy it's with adjustable power, I could use with minimum setup on 80 gallons to keep current tank, waiting for future upgrade, not?

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Unread 03/20/2018, 01:12 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony73 View Post
Rd3 speedy it's with adjustable power, I could use with minimum setup on 80 gallons to keep current tank, waiting for future upgrade, not?

Yes. That is correct. You will likely need to run the skimmer a bit wet to maintain consistency but it will work and will be much better suited for the new tank once you get it. I would run the pump at 20-22 watts to start. Sump level at 8.5 - 9". Let it break in and use the wedge pipe to adjust the line where bubbles turn to foam so that the line is up just above the collar where the cup attaches to the body.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 12:03 AM   #5
tony73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Yes. That is correct. You will likely need to run the skimmer a bit wet to maintain consistency but it will work and will be much better suited for the new tank once you get it. I would run the pump at 20-22 watts to start. Sump level at 8.5 - 9". Let it break in and use the wedge pipe to adjust the line where bubbles turn to foam so that the line is up just above the collar where the cup attaches to the body.
Great
I would to be sure that with current tank I can keep all as weel without eraise anything

Unread 03/28/2018, 07:30 PM   #6
drtrash
Registered Member

Bk mini 160 would be less of a hastle and work the same

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote