Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2018, 01:12 PM   #1
oquockyo
Registered Member

Lighting Clown Help Please?

Hi

Can someone please provide some advice. I have a pair of lighting clown I purchased from the LFS 2 days ago. On today the third day the big clown is attacking the smaller clown. All I have in my tank are the clowns and a flame angle. anyone know why he might be doing that ? advice or tips please? tanks is a 90 gal.

oquockyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 01:17 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Because HE is actually a SHE, and she's displaying dominance, typical of clown bonding process

It should mellow, expect to see the smaller male begin to twitch in submission

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 01:23 PM   #3
oquockyo
Registered Member

Wow I should have done better research. I assume once they come
from the fish store they would already be bonded. the smaller one is a little tore up. Do you think she might kill the smaller one? I am worried she might kill him? Thanks alot for the feedback

Unread 04/08/2018, 02:23 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Well, even what may appear as bonded may come w/ issues as they mature, my present pair came to me as a bonded pair, and seemed to get along, but the female kept the male out of her anemone for months.

At one point, I wondered if the male was really even still male, as they were larger than I normally begin with.

After about 4 months of this, the female really got aggressive w/ my male all of sudden, and I figured I was about to know the answer what was up any day.

I just kept an eye, next thing they are both in their nem, all lovy dovy, spawning every two weeks...

The bonding/pairing process can be a little harsh sometimes, but as long as both are eating, and there is no excessive fin tearing, I would remain patient and observant.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 04/08/2018, 06:52 PM   #5
swhobbie1
Registered Member

Yeh keep a good eye on them and try to make sure there is no open areas in top of the tank. I bought what the LFS said was a pair of White Blizzard Clowns and the smaller one I noticed when I got home had some torn fins and was very skinny. smaller one started to gain weight then I noticed the larger one viciously attacking it randomly. Came home week 2 to find the smaller one dried up on the floor even though I had a screen top - it was a small fish and it found a way out darting about like lighting to get away from the larger.

swhobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 08:03 PM   #6
oquockyo
Registered Member

Thanks for the feed back. I just hope the torn fins and stress dont lead to an infection.

Unread 04/08/2018, 08:08 PM   #7
oquockyo
Registered Member

this is how one of them look. even has a shape that looks like a fish on his side. really hope these clowns stop the fighting.

Unread 04/09/2018, 12:23 AM   #8
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

My two lightning clown is doing the same,fighting forabout 3 or4 weeks now. Cant wait for them to stop fighting n become mated pair.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 02:28 PM   #9
oquockyo
Registered Member

An update on this topic. After about a week and a half the two clowns stop fighting. Both clowns fins are healed and I see no new tears which tells me they are not fighting anymore. Problem is now they both hang out on opposite sides of tank. Both are about the same size and fairly small. Will they ever pair up or just live seperately forever? Amything I can do to get them to try to pair. They are both eating and healthy.

Unread 04/18/2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Jesterrace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oquockyo View Post
Hi

Can someone please provide some advice. I have a pair of lighting clown I purchased from the LFS 2 days ago. On today the third day the big clown is attacking the smaller clown. All I have in my tank are the clowns and a flame angle. anyone know why he might be doing that ? advice or tips please? tanks is a 90 gal.
As others have mentioned it's a dominance thing. It should get better.

Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:46 PM   #11
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Lightings are fierce.
Give them some time and just watch carefully.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:29 PM   #12
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

And BTW, what a stunning fish you have'
Beautiful!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:32 PM   #13
davocean
Registered Member

In time they will join each other more closely

Unread 04/19/2018, 04:42 PM   #14
natanitelite
Registered Member

What a gorgeous fish!

natanitelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 12:47 AM   #15
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Realize that they're maroon clowns with a miss-bar trait.Maroons don't really play nice with much and the females are very protective. I've never had a pair, but I've seen them at work and they're nowhere near as docile as a perc. When you toss two undifferentiated clowns in a tank, the most dominant one becomes the female. Basically, they're sorting out the future of their nether-regions. It'll take some time, but they'll solve it.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote