Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2018, 06:09 PM   #1
kodo28
Registered Member

Double Cone 250 RD3 Vs SuperMarin 200

Hello,

Going to order end of this month an Eco-Dreambox - sample set 3d.

Tank size with the new Dreambox and refugium will be 230 gal

Going to run Triton method which they recommend a strong skimmer.

Would the DC 250 RD3 be enough or should I go with the SuperMarin 200 ?

I think also to run a BKK media filter Ø 100mmx330mm 2 liter Volume Space Saver DeLuxe on the Eco-dreambox.

Would the DC250 and the media filter fit on the skimmer section of the Eco-dreambox 100x49.

kodo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 08:21 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodo28 View Post
Hello,

Going to order end of this month an Eco-Dreambox - sample set 3d.

Tank size with the new Dreambox and refugium will be 230 gal

Going to run Triton method which they recommend a strong skimmer.

Would the DC 250 RD3 be enough or should I go with the SuperMarin 200 ?

I think also to run a BKK media filter Ø 100mmx330mm 2 liter Volume Space Saver DeLuxe on the Eco-dreambox.

Would the DC250 and the media filter fit on the skimmer section of the Eco-dreambox 100x49.
You could go either way depending on your load. They both will handle comparable loads however if your fish load is lighter, the SM200 may be the better choice. Then again, depending on your load, the Double Cone 200 may just be a great option as well.

Having said that, the Supermarin is a higher quality body made with heavier material. The Double Cone 250 has a larger body that can handle lighter loads compared to a Supermarin 250 for example. This is due to the body design and other factors. The material the double cone is made of is thinner and it has an extruded body vs the hand welded body of the SM. If quality is what you are after, I’d go the SM200. It’s a flagship skimmer. Both the SM200 and the Double Cone 250 would do the job though. That said, what is your anticipated fish load. That will be a factor when choosing the “best” skimmer. What you don’t want is a skimmer that is starving for dissolved organics because it’s over sized. The end result will be inconsistent performance. As such, knowing your anticipated fish stocking plans would be very helpful. And for what it’s worth, you should sized our skimmers based on display size and not system volume. Our sumps and refugiums are there to reduce the load and proper skimmer sizing is based on theoretical loads. The load is generated in the display and not usually elsewhere in the system so display size and fish stocking plans are kind of important when choosing a skimmer that is actually rated honestly or even conservatively like the Bubble Kings are.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote