Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 01:13 PM   #1
adoptaspork
Registered Member

Chip in bottom corner down to silicon

As the title states my boyfriend and I went to set up an old tank in his office but we found that the tank has a chip on the back bottom corner. It is a small chip but goes down to the silicon, however the back panel of the tank is an in tank sump area and the plastic seems to cover it too. Is this safe to use? Is there a sealant that we can put over the exterior chip to support it and prevent leaks? There is a small amount of water in it right now and it passes a leak test so far.

adoptaspork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 01:19 PM   #2
adoptaspork
Registered Member

As the title states my boyfriend and I went to set up an old tank in his office but we found that the tank has a chip on the back bottom corner. It is a small chip but goes down to the silicon, however the back panel of the tank is an in tank sump area and the plastic seems to cover it too. Is this safe to use? Is there a sealant that we can put over the exterior chip to support it and prevent leaks? There is a small amount of water in it right now and it passes a leak test so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4ao7f3kzk...58726.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37zr73d1zy...36121.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by adoptaspork; 01/20/2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Unread 01/20/2018, 01:59 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

After looking at the pictures I personally would not trust it long term. A bump of the tank Could cause a rupture or a crack.
Now for some unprofessional advice.
The good thing is, it is in a corner, and where 3 pieces meet is the strongest part of the tank. Maybe clean the outsides around the area to be spotless. Then clean them again. Bond 2 pieces of glass to the tank and themselves to reinforce the corner. Overlap the chip about 2 inches. Use a high quality silicone. I wish you the best.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 02:24 PM   #4
adoptaspork
Registered Member

Thank you... It isn't an ideal situation but we are definitely weighing the risks of whether to DIY patch it and cross fingers. The tank was sitting in our garage and recently went through a move so unfortunately that's probably how the chip happened.

Your advice is exactly what we needed to think through. Do you have a suggestion concerning what thickness or type of glass we should use if we decided to reinforce it? Would the sandbed inside affect the structural integrity of the corner at all?

I appreciate the help!

Unread 01/20/2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Tom39
Registered Member

Just a few questions: How thick is the the glass and what is the water volume of the tank?

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 08:59 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I personally don't think its going to be a problem and I would use the tank based on what I see there..