Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Joe0813
Registered Member

Ny aquatic

Has anyone ordered from them? They have purple tangs for 50 bucks. Want to make sure they are a good site to order from

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 11:36 PM   #2
thomashtom
Registered Member

Yes they are. Mike is a good guy to buy from. Thanks Tom

thomashtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Mixed reviews here on RC.
I ordered once & got a dead fish & a refund.

Unread 02/08/2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Devolver
Registered Member

my resent dealings with them: ordered $400 of fish, one of the radiant wrasses arrived DOA, mike will not return my texts to issue a refund.

I have had success with him in the past but this is the second or third time I have had trouble getting credit for DOA fish. I would take this under advisement and spend your money at a different store that will actually honor a DOA.

Devolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Joe0813
Registered Member

I was going to do a big order with 6 different fish but I think ill pass and gamble the 50 dollars for a purple tang since they are 160-250 any where else

Unread 02/08/2018, 09:41 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Keep in mind that these kinds of threads disproportionately attract the disgruntled. My own experience with NYAquatic/Michael has been good.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 10:37 AM   #7
MAMGM
Registered Member

I have used them three times. Other than sending the wrong wrasse in one of my orders, all the fish were healthy. Not very good on correspondence.

MAMGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 01:03 PM   #8
mako61
Registered Member

I just got a purple tang from nyaquatics. I emailed to ask the SG of the water they ship with and got no reply. The fish came and it wasnt moving and the SG was 1.012. (checked my calibration) I got him to a matched SG / temp bucket and he started moving. I raised the temp as he was pretty cold. I had to adjust by QT a lot to get it that SG. He was well packed with warming chems so no issue there.

He is now in my QT. Im slowly raising the SG. He has a case of HLLE. A least thats what I think it is. His face is white and one side has streaks. His fins where a little tattered also. He may have ick also as there are a few other white spots on him not close to the HLLE marks. He is eating nori. I havent medicated with anything yet, as he looks very weak.

I cant say it was a bad deal. He may come back, but so far its a rough go. If I had it to do again I would pay 180+0ship instead of 50+50ship and go with liveaquaria. i have had good luck with them.

The best pic i have currently.

https://i.imgur.com/RT7dKqc.jpg?2

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 01:27 PM   #9
taphil
Registered Member

I've bought yellow belly regal angels from him twice. First time was good. Second time came covered in extremely deadly ich/brook. I'd rather burn $50 for fun than order from NYA ever again.

taphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 02:12 PM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Keep in mind that these kinds of threads disproportionately attract the disgruntled. My own experience with NYAquatic/Michael has been good.
+1 I have had a lot of success with Michael. This thread should be moved to the vendor feedback is

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 04:54 PM   #11
Joe0813
Registered Member

seems like its hit or miss so far. definitely will be setting up a QT again if I do go with them.

Unread 02/08/2018, 05:15 PM   #12
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
seems like its hit or miss so far. definitely will be setting up a QT again if I do go with them.
no way Jack ( wife named him cause he is jackup up lol ) would be alive without a QT. The salinity swing alone would prob have done him in. Having a simple QT is kinda a no brainer. -- mine cost $100 ( most petco gear )

I agree the net could have got the next fish and maybe I would be a lot happier. This sale has been on a long time maybe earlier fish were better also.

For me I wish I had just spent the extra 80 and went with someone I have used before.

Also those who say I only posted cause Im disgruntled are wrong. If I got a sweet fish I would have posted that also. ( with much glee) I just happen to try the same deal and Im disappointed not disgruntled.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
Unread 02/08/2018, 06:56 PM   #13
MAMGM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
I just got a purple tang from nyaquatics. I emailed to ask the SG of the water they ship with and got no reply. The fish came and it wasnt moving and the SG was 1.012. (checked my calibration) I got him to a matched SG / temp bucket and he started moving. I raised the temp as he was pretty cold. I had to adjust by QT a lot to get it that SG. He was well packed with warming chems so no issue there.

He is now in my QT. Im slowly raising the SG. He has a case of HLLE. A least thats what I think it is. His face is white and one side has streaks. His fins where a little tattered also. He may have ick also as there are a few other white spots on him not close to the HLLE marks. He is eating nori. I havent medicated with anything yet, as he looks very weak.

I cant say it was a bad deal. He may come back, but so far its a rough go. If I had it to do again I would pay 180+0ship instead of 50+50ship and go with liveaquaria. i have had good luck with them.

The best pic i have currently.

https://i.imgur.com/RT7dKqc.jpg?2
Where did the shipment come from, Yonkers or the west coast?

Unread 02/08/2018, 08:19 PM   #14
mako61
Registered Member

ELMSFORD, NY was the pickup.

Unread 02/08/2018, 09:27 PM   #15
MAMGM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
ELMSFORD, NY was the pickup.
Had some friends that had bad experience from west coast shipments from him but seem to be fine from his store in NY

Unread 02/08/2018, 10:23 PM   #16
Reef908
Registered Member

I got my Red Sea regal from nyaquatics and, other than flukes, the fish has been a champ for over a year now. Definitely recommend a qt (as always). My issue was that the fish was at least 2” bigger than the 3” listing haha. Oh well it ate right away after coaxing with a live shucked clam.

Unread 02/09/2018, 11:04 AM   #17
Devolver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
like I said in my original post...I have had good dealings with NYaquatics but recently I have had poor correspondence and a total disregard of his DOA policy. I have had to fight with him over his DOA policy on other orders as well. he has made good on all of them except this last one.

Buy at your own risk, I will not be dealing with him anymore because he cannot be trusted to stand behind his store policies.

Devolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:47 AM   #18
Pet Detective
Registered Member

I have purchased many fish from Mike, including more difficult fish to find, like Scribbled Angels & Goldflake Angels for a very reasonable price comparatively speaking, he doesn't or at least didn't offer free shipping at any total order amount, which would be my only minor complaint. I most recently [6 months] purchased a Majestic Angel juvenile from NY Aquatic and it is thriving, they can be quite delicate and tough to acclimate, vis-a-vis getting them to begin eating prepared foods in my experience. I currently have a Purple Tang that I bought from him almost 10 yrs ago now and the very reason I did was the huge savings relative to most other online livestock suppliers.

Pet Detective is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:13 PM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devolver View Post
like I said in my original post...I have had good dealings with NYaquatics but recently I have had poor correspondence and a total disregard of his DOA policy. I have had to fight with him over his DOA policy on other orders as well. he has made good on all of them except this last one.

Buy at your own risk, I will not be dealing with him anymore because he cannot be trusted to stand behind his store policies.
Not sure why you quoted me in this post. I'm not discounting your experiences (and FWIW, he's not great at correspondence), just observing that people are more likely to publicly complain about a poor experience than they are to commend a good one; and that when 'evaluating' feedback it makes sense to take this into account.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:14 PM   #20
heuerfan
Registered Member

I've purchased many fish from Mike, good prices and selection. But make sure to fresh water dip for flukes and qt fish for a few weeks like others have mentioned.

heuerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:36 PM   #21
Joe0813
Registered Member

think im will pull the trigger.. anyone that has ordered recently do you remember what the bag water was?

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:09 PM   #22
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

On the low side .... 1.015 (order from 2 weeks ago).

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:20 PM   #23
atorres53
Registered Member

I purchased an Achilles tang and a $50 purple tang 5 weeks ago. Both ate immediately and are doing great. Mike has a huge selection of fish in stock.

atorres53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 10:27 PM   #24
Joe0813
Registered Member

Ok so I'll have the salinity around 1.015

Unread 06/06/2018, 01:31 PM   #25
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
Ok so I'll have the salinity around 1.015
What was your experience?
Did you end up going with NYAquatics?

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote